Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-23-2022, 09:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Didn't know you needed, but now gotta have it

Just curious - random question - not scrapbooking related

Can you name something you own that you just can't live without? (figuratively speaking) Or maybe you were apprehensive to purchase this thing, but now realize you really need it? Life is so much better with.....xxxx.

For example, years ago my husband bought me an apple watch. I was convinced it was a waste of money, but over time...I realize how much I really use it and depend on it. I did really need it and don't know it.

Another one for me... we bought a new laptop last year. It was on sale for a great price. One of the features was a touch screen. My original thought was ok so it has a touch screen. I doubt I will really use but now.... I won't ever get another one without that feature. I absolutely love it!

I asked my husband - We got a second-hand air fryer from my brother a few years ago. (They had this simple one and upgraded to a really fancy one). We happened to be visiting and the simple one was setting in their garage. They offered it to us and we reluctantly took it home. Hubs didn't think we needed it or he would really use. Fast track to 6 months later and it became his go too kitchen gadget. After 2 years of having it, it broke last weekend. He is on the hunt now for a newer fancy one. Maybe Santa will bring him one.

How about you? Something you ended up really needing or liking when in the beginning didn't think it was necessary?

Old 12-23-2022, 11:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A minivan. At the time, I told my husband to drive it because I didn't want it, but I still have it 14 years later.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:25 AM
Banned

profile gallery

I really love my Ninja Speedi. I don't enjoy cooking, but I love to eat. I can throw simple ingredients in that thing and it magically makes a tasty meal (it even cooks pasta!) without any real effort on my part.
Old 12-23-2022, 01:37 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My 11"x17" sheet pan. I'd always wanted a rimmed baking sheet, so I bought myself one. I used it only about once a year. Then a couple of years ago, I started cooking a lot more, and now I use it when I make baked chicken parmesan, a BBQ rub chicken thighs dinner, and for a lot of other baked chicken that I make, and for cookies! If something happened to it, I'd have to go buy one right away.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not too creative but I'd say my cell phone. When smart phones first came out I thought they were ridiculous. A phone is a PHONE!!! I have a perfectly good calendar! I don't need to play games! I'm super organized! I have a good Digital SLR camera! Lol. Now it's on me all the time and I use as many of the features as I can.
Old 12-24-2022, 02:38 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

For pleasure, a Bargello Box subscription has been infinitely amazing. 4 times a year I get a craft project in my mailbox? Very helpful, very nice. It makes me intentionally take time to create 4 times a year, and I'm glad for that, and it's not too overwhelming.

For useful, I'd say a subscription to Finch Plus on my phone. Finch is an app where you're given a little bird to care for. Completing tasks can earn you little gems, outfits, and decor items for your bird, and it can visit friends too. You can set your own tasks, and you can set them to recur, or make them a one-time thing, so I've got mine set to remind me of certain tasks every single day (taking my meds, dishes, brushing my teeth, etc) and others each week (vacuuming, wiping down the appliances), or even every six months or so, plus I make sure I do my everyday to-do stuff like "hey, I really need to write this chapter today," or "I need to send this specific email or make this phone call. Finch in general has been such a worthwhile thing to have and has helped my ADHD/Autism brain stay on track, but having Finch Plus has been a major motivator to help me want to keep using the app more, because the extra features are SO rewarding and lovely. Definitely was worth subscribing to!

(Also realizing now that some of my most-used "best purchases" are subscriptions, because I also considered mentioning xbox gamepass and google play pass because both have saved me a lot of money since video games are a big hobby for the kiddo, and he likes to bounce between games and try new games all the time).
Old 12-27-2022, 02:25 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

This is going back in time a bit, but the thing I didn't know I needed but now can't do without is ebooks/kindle app. I've always been a voracious reader and wasn't really sure what I thought about ebooks when they first came out. But I was taking a week long trip and downloaded a 1000 page ebook on the kindle app to take with me and the ease of that experience delighted me. I have never looked back. Can't remember the last paper book I read. I can read anywhere and never have to lug a book around or mark a spot.
Old 12-27-2022, 02:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The library app for my phone. I have read more now that I can get books for free. If I don't like the book I just return it early. I have always enjoyed reading and now instead of just the Kindle free books, I have access to so much more.

My slow cookers, yes plural. I have three different sizes and if one stopped working I would run out immediately and replace it.

Vessi running shoes. They are great for walking the dog in the rain/wet instead of throwing on welly boots that are comfortable for longer walks. These shoes are waterproof and easy to clean. I don't wear them often but glad I have them. For instance this morning, it is too wet for regular shoes, but not wet enough for boots.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know. I often become enamored with something for a while and think I can't live without it. Then I completely forget about it for a while proving to myself that I can, indeed, live without it.

I saw an air fryer mentioned. This was one of those things we didn't think we needed or wouldn't use. Ha! I got one through an Amazon seller who was looking for reviews so I only paid $10 for it. This was in September of 2018 (literally looked it up today). We use it ALL the time. Today we found one at Walmart, a Beautiful brand one, for $25. They have others that are exactly the same, except the color, full price for $99. My husband had me look up the specs on ours and this one is more powerful, larger, etc. so we bought it. The old one still works great, so I'm not sure what we will do with it. We have another new in box downstairs for our 20 year old when she moves out.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:02 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Something I discovered over the pandemic is Souper Cubes for freezing food. They are incredible and totally changed the way we freeze and store food and leftovers. Basically they are like silicone ice cube trays but they have different portion sizes - 2 Tbsp, 1/2 cup, 1 cup and 2 cups. Once the food is frozen, we pop them out and store them in bags. I'm going to start using our Food Saver soon to keep the food as fresh as possible. Highly recommend them for anyone who loves to cook!!
Old 01-25-2023, 03:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

This is kind of an odd one, but Asian skincare. I thought it was just a silly fad for the longest time and didn't understand why anyone in the States wouldn't just use what's more readily available here, but once I tried it I was hooked. There's so much more focus on skin health and moisture barrier, and it's easier to pick and choose products with 1 major focus since many of them stick to smaller ingredient lists. I use mostly Korean stuff now with some Japanese toners (moisturizing ones, not stripping ones like in Western skin care) thrown in. A lot of Western brands are trying to ride the coattails so to speak, but they're often over-priced and just not a good substitute for the og brands that have been huge in the Asian market for decades.

Old 01-25-2023, 04:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My phone for sure...I can control the house almost...it opens the garage, unlocks the front door, set thermostat. It pays for stuff (Google pay), books to read, games to play, podcasts, music, movies on top of staying in touch with family and friends. I can check filter and maintenance on my fridge, washer and dryer. I have been a paper/pencil gal and still am most of the time but I use my phone a lot.

The other would be our new toaster oven which is also a convection oven, airfryer etc....We cook pizzas in there, air fry everything, toast...love it esp in summer when it gets so hot here.

I am sure there are other things that I don't think of at the moment
Old 01-25-2023, 06:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
The other would be our new toaster oven which is also a convection oven, airfryer etc....We cook pizzas in there, air fry everything, toast...love it esp in summer when it gets so hot here.
I was very skeptical of the air fryer at first. I bought an instapot and never use it. It's a beast of a thing to store when I only make hard boiled eggs in it. The airfryer, though? We use it alllllllllll the time!! And definitely agree that it keeps the house so much cooler in the summer vs turning on the oven. And everything cooks quicker. I am all about the time savings in the kitchen!!
Old 01-25-2023, 09:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My husband got me a hurkin coffee mug warmer for my birthday. Two days of using it and it was the best! I love drinking coffee but I don't like the taste of the microwave heated coffee so either I just let my coffee get cold or I drink it fast which I don't want to because I'm a sipper. I saw some of my friend's post about coffee mug warmer and that they like it but never really get the chance to buy one. So now that I have one, I was really enjoying it.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
I was very skeptical of the air fryer at first. I bought an instapot and never use it. It's a beast of a thing to store when I only make hard boiled eggs in it. The airfryer, though? We use it alllllllllll the time!! And definitely agree that it keeps the house so much cooler in the summer vs turning on the oven. And everything cooks quicker. I am all about the time savings in the kitchen!!
I love my instapots, yes potS! I have a six quart and 8quart. I cook pasta, mashed potatoes, rice, meatloaf and even cheesecake in it. I love mine and use them a lot along with the airfryer. I have blown a fuse using an instapot, airfryer, stove and microwave all at once. LOL
Old 01-26-2023, 08:42 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Right now definitely the air fryer.

DH and I had talked about it a few times and kinda written air fryers off ....
but after we bought one on a whim....now it's the best thing since sliced bread!!!
We love it

Old 02-01-2023, 08:02 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have lots n lots of things I love and do not want to ever be with out.... crock pot, coffee pot (just a Keurig, but I love that coffee in always available at the moment I want or need it), Nook, phone, Cricut, Mac, camera, ipad, my art stuff.....etc...

But my two biggest are my KitchenAid mixer.... I actually just got it. I have been wanting one for year and years.... love to bake (hate to cook, but love to eat...lol) I have made more cookies in the last month than I have in the last 25 years!!!! And everyone raves about them and eats them so quickly. Another plus is I perfected two gluten free recipes and now even those kiddos are happy, and no one can tell the difference between regular and GF, so now they are all gluten free.

My other biggest is my sewing machine. I did neglect it for many years, but when I took it back out in 2020 to make masks I realized how much I missed sewing and quilting. It needs to be serviced so I haven't done much on it but oh the projects I have planned......

funny story... my oldest (24) daughter and I were in the fabric store the other day and she says to me, "Hey Mom, I didn't know they have patterns to make clothes!"
"Yes, thats how I made all your costumes when you were little."
"I know that but it's like real clothes, clothes regular people would wear, stylish.
"Yup, lots of people make clothing."
"I'm so surprised it's not all ya know, Amish style stuff."
The lady cutting my fabric thought it was hysterical.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 02-01-2023, 11:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Great question! It's interesting to see everyone's comments!

Two things come to my mind right away ... First being the Ninja Foodie (indoor grill) we bought a few years ago. We use it just about every night of the week!
The second thing is our Yukon XL. Never in my life did I want an extra large vehicle to drive (and I was scared to death of it at first), but now I love the room it has to offer and the comfort it provides when going on trips!
Old 03-02-2023, 02:57 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post

Vessi running shoes. They are great for walking the dog in the rain/wet instead of throwing on welly boots that are comfortable for longer walks. These shoes are waterproof and easy to clean. I don't wear them often but glad I have them. For instance this morning, it is too wet for regular shoes, but not wet enough for boots.
I LOVE my Vessi shoes!! They are perfect for our Seattle weather! Game changer
Old 03-02-2023, 07:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

• air fryer
  • pantry over the door spice rack (no more searching thru cluttered cupboard)
  • iPad wireless keyboard
  • blanket shawls (poncho style and wrap style) (I am obsessed, now have about 10 of them)