Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-26-2021, 11:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default SSD facebook group question

So I had answered a question about shows we binge watch in the SSD Facebook group. But I was then shocked to see friends from my Church (not scrapbookers) also commenting on the post, and liking another person from Church's comment. I believed the group was a private group where only people who were part of the group could see or read comments. Is this not true? While I don't care that they saw my comment, I do try to keep my scrapping and regular Facebook life seperate. I know that half of my family and friends don't quite understand what I do and that's fine. But it was just shocking to see them commenting and liking a post made in my scrapbook group! It made me self concious thinking that they could see or read posts I made in the scrapping group, especially since I keep the two seperate. Hoping someone has the answers to this (I couldn't view the privacy settings of the group on my phone). Thanks!
Old 01-26-2021, 11:58 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

When I go to the FB page it says this...but I'm not very FB savvy to have any helpful answers as to how others can see it on your feed, maybe someone else will know

Old 01-26-2021, 12:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

was it the sweet shoppe chatter group or a different facebook group? I don't see a post about bingewatching shows in the chatter group, could it have been a designers FB group? The official ssd group is the ssd chatter one and that is private so only members can see who posts/comments there
Old 01-26-2021, 12:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It was on the Sweet Shoppe Designs Facebook "page"? The date of the question was Jan 18th.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oh I see it's on the sweet shoppe designs facebook page. Facebook pages are all public (this goes for any page there is no way to make them private) so if you comment on a post there people can see it. Groups can be set to private though so there is more privacy there.

I understand how you feel because I'm pretty private too and like to keep things separate.

Whenever you see the little globe icon beside a date that means the post is public (so that goes for posts you comment on for friends etc) and anyone could end up seeing it.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think the Sweet Shoppe FB page is just a page vs a private group. So anyone can like it or see it. On facebook you can have pages or groups and the SS one is just a page with likes and followers VS a group that is private with rooms, discussions, files, albums and a lot more options.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

And, adding little more info, even considering groups are less public, anyone can make part of it, even if the person doesn't scrapbooking, since we have no way to know who does or not.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

That is our "closed" group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/711450272232358

That is our fan page:
https://www.facebook.com/SweetShoppeDesigns
Old 01-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha View Post
I had no idea there was a closed group page. Off to check it out. I don't get on FB much at all but like to check in every now and then.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yikes! I try to keep the two lives separate as well!
Old 01-26-2021, 12:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Looks like everyone has helped answer this question, but our Facebook Fanpage is open to all and anyone can see it. But like others have shared, we do have a private Facebook Group called Sweet Shoppe Chatter and only members of the group can see what you share there. We get a lot of traditional scrappers that follow our Fanpage as well. And when you comment on a public post, sometimes it will show up in the feed of your friends. I'm not sure why, but it does happen. I see it all the time on my personal page for things I don't "like".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
So I had answered a question about shows we binge watch in the SSD Facebook group. But I was then shocked to see friends from my Church (not scrapbookers) also commenting on the post, and liking another person from Church's comment. I believed the group was a private group where only people who were part of the group could see or read comments. Is this not true? While I don't care that they saw my comment, I do try to keep my scrapping and regular Facebook life seperate. I know that half of my family and friends don't quite understand what I do and that's fine. But it was just shocking to see them commenting and liking a post made in my scrapbook group! It made me self concious thinking that they could see or read posts I made in the scrapping group, especially since I keep the two seperate. Hoping someone has the answers to this (I couldn't view the privacy settings of the group on my phone). Thanks!

Last edited by nesser1981; 01-26-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you all so much! That helped greatly! I didn't know all of that, so it's good to know, and it does help explain it! Thank you all for taking time to respond and educate me!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have noticed that one of my mom's cousins was "liking" my answer on some of the SSD questions. I had no idea people could see it outside of members. It made me a little paranoid because I don't like sharing my life outside of my close family.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:21 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

LOL, with so many of us not liking to share our lives as openly as all that, it makes me wonder why FB is so dang successful.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

Learned something new - I never knew about the private fb group! Just sent a join request. Yeah, I'm with many of you in that it kind of freaks me out when non-scrappy people I know make comments on posts - I'm thinking like "No! This is my thing... stay out of it!" lol.

Old 01-26-2021, 10:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I try to keep my two "lives" separate as well. I mostly use FB for people I know in real life and interact with scrappy people on Instagram. (I registered for each with different email addresses to make it harder for people I interact with on one to find me on the other.) There are times when I know I'm missing out on things going on with SSD on FB, but so be it.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:56 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha View Post
Thanks for sharing the chatter link.. Off to check it out.

Kelly
Old 06-08-2021, 10:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have had this experince, too, and it is so stupid! Why do the things I like and comment on show up in the feeds of people who have no connection to the things I'm liking and commenting on?? I've stopped interacting with the SSD FB page as much ever since a non-scrappy friend private messaged me about a comment I had made. It's really creepy. I can understand why someone who goes to the SSD FB page would see my comment, but, really, Facebook, why does my mom need to see it?
Old 06-13-2021, 04:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
LOL, with so many of us not liking to share our lives as openly as all that, it makes me wonder why FB is so dang successful.
LOL! I've thought the same thing.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I have had this experince, too, and it is so stupid! Why do the things I like and comment on show up in the feeds of people who have no connection to the things I'm liking and commenting on?? I've stopped interacting with the SSD FB page as much ever since a non-scrappy friend private messaged me about a comment I had made. It's really creepy. I can understand why someone who goes to the SSD FB page would see my comment, but, really, Facebook, why does my mom need to see it?
My aunt commented on one of my comments on the fan page. I thought that was so funny. While I don't really care, it does make me pay more attention to the privacy of groups depending on what I'm posting.