Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Hybrid Chatter
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner
Question Using the new hybrid stuff.....

I have never once dabbled in anything hybrid, so forgive me if these are silly questions.

So I was looking at the Maya Road Mini Tag album and the Basic Grey Key Plate Album. Are these the kinds of things that could be kept on a keychain? Or chained to a diaper bag sort of thing? How would one go about doing that? Would you print these layouts on paper? Or on photo paper? Then would you laminate them? Spray them with something?

I'm so lost.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:29 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

hmmm, good questions. I think you could certainly hang them on a diaper bag and it would be adorable. I like the idea of laminating if you're going to use it in that manner. The Basic Grey albums come with a ring that you could hang them from. I just made two bracket albums and used modpodge to seal them. I had considered laminating but don't have a laminator and needed to get them done asap as they're for gifts. There are several threads answering some of your questions also check out Susan Bartolini's blog and she has details too.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think the albums would look adorable on a keychain, but I think you'd have a really hard time using your keys! LOL I think chained to a diaper bag would be really cute, you could use a jump ring (or the ring it comes with) and attach it to a bag. I just like to add a bunch of different colored ribbons to the jump ring that holds all the pages together and hang it in my office (on a decorative knob/nail/etc.)

As for printing...I think it's best to print on photo paper (I use Epson Premium Presentation Matte paper). You get vibrant colors with the photo paper and regular paper won't hold up as well when you adhere it to the chipboard album. I usually adhere mine with mod podge or a roller adhesive, you could use a Xyron machine as well. I don't laminate, but I guess you could do that to keep little fingerprints off! I think there are some spray sealers, but I've never tried them. Some people put a thin coat of mod podge on to seal, but personally I don't like the look.

These are great questions! I'm sure lots of people are wondering, so ask away!
Old 03-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

Okay, so don't put them on my actual keys.

Check.

I will put them on my bag. I'll HAVE to. But I'll definitely need them sealed somehow.

Print them on photo paper.

Check.

So I'm assuming I can just print them at Walgreens or wherever I'd like then? I see that the Maya road tags are about the size that I could print them on a white 4x6 canvas and not pay much per print (like 20 cents a print).

Then I'd have to cut them out?

I hope my hands are that nimble still. Digi has quite possibly ruined my manual dexterity!

And glue them on using modgepodge? or whatever it's called? Where can I get that?

Oh I could totally do ribbons and ricrac on the jump ring as well.

I think I'm going to do two tag albums, one of Naomi and one of Nathan, for my bag...I'm gonna use Hushabye Lullabye and Hushabye Dragonfly....now just getting from here to there.

These would make the best gifts!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

1) yes, you can post them on photo paper at walgreens.
2) yes, you'd have to cut them out.
3) modgepodge is available at most craft stores. just ask for it.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini

Yes, I would say that if you're gonna hang them from your diaper bag, you should definitely "seal" them in some way. Mod Podge Matte is great for this. I would say that the Maya Road Mini Tag and Arrow are the best projects for this type of thing. They are small enough. The Maya Road Bird is too big for a diaper bag ornament.

You will have to cut them out once you have them printed, and for that, I recommend using a craft knife and cutting mat. You can get all of these things, including the Mod Podge, at Michael's, Hobby Lobby or Joann's. Michael's and Joann's have 40% off coupons in the Sunday paper pretty frequently...so keep your eye out.

Susan
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Hey Lena

The tags and arrows are the only ones I would hang on a bag you'll carry with you. The chipboard is really sturdy on those and they arent very big. The keyplate album is actually 7" long which is pretty good size. The Basic Grey chip is also thinner than the Maya Road Chip so it wont be as durable for carrying around everywhere with you.

There are 8 MR mini albums in all and we'll be carrying more in the weeks to come so stay tuned!

Have fun!
Robin
Old 03-23-2008, 02:21 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Lena, run on over to ACOT and grab the following...

Adhesive: they are currently out of the Tombow glue that I love but the next best thing is this Zip Dry stuff that people swear by and I just picked up a bottle and it's pretty good stuff. If you're more of a tape kinda person then get the Super Tape by ThermOWeb. This stuff is just as it's named, 'Super'! I use it mostly for altering metal tins and such but it's great on chipboard also.

Seal It: Personally I'm not fond of modge podge cause you gotta paint it on and sometimes it leaves lines or a 'thick' looking finish. I prefer a spray on Acrylic sealer, you can find Matte Clear Acrylic Sealants by Plaid and Krylon in the craft section of Walmart or your local craft store. I think laminating would be really smart if you have the ability.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaK View Post

Seal It: Personally I'm not fond of modge podge cause you gotta paint it on and sometimes it leaves lines or a 'thick' looking finish. I prefer a spray on Acrylic sealer, you can find Matte Clear Acrylic Sealants by Plaid and Krylon in the craft section of Walmart or your local craft store. I think laminating would be really smart if you have the ability.

Thanks for the recommendation on a spray sealer, I'm not a mod podge fan for sealing either.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to scarlettcharm Send a message via Yahoo to scarlettcharm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Yes, I would say that if you're gonna hang them from your diaper bag, you should definitely "seal" them in some way. Mod Podge Matte is great for this. I would say that the Maya Road Mini Tag and Arrow are the best projects for this type of thing. They are small enough. The Maya Road Bird is too big for a diaper bag ornament.

You will have to cut them out once you have them printed, and for that, I recommend using a craft knife and cutting mat. You can get all of these things, including the Mod Podge, at Michael's, Hobby Lobby or Joann's. Michael's and Joann's have 40% off coupons in the Sunday paper pretty frequently...so keep your eye out.

Susan

Oh MAN, see...this is the ONE teensy tiny aspect keeping me from even trying Hybrid albums. I wonder is something like a wishblade could be set up to laser cut these out? I just can't imagine sitting and hand cutting 25 scallopp LO pages by hand. Would a LSS have a diecut machine with the Basic Grey templates as die-cuts? Then maybe you could figure out a way to cut the printed didgi LOs in the die-cut machine?

*just thinking outloud here!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

If you use a sanding block, you don't have to cut very precisely. That saves a lot of time.

I know that there aren't diecuts/die cut machine that would be able to do this, except like you said, maybe the wishblade. But a Cricut, or Sizzex, no.