Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Saving for Web in PSE

Hey girls! I hope that you can help me.....in fact, I am sure you can! I have been saving my web images for the last couple of years by just changing my resolution to 72 or lower. Whatever I needed to do to get the file size to 150 or less. The problem with that is my image size is VERY small. So, when I post to the gallery or to the challenge thread, then it is hard for you ladies to see!

So, here is my question........How do I save my image where it still is 150mb or less but have a BIGGER image that is easier for the viewer's eye? I would really like it to be at the max (or close to) image size of 600x600. I have tried to just change the image size but it is still too large (1.03kb).

Needless to say, I am making myself go crazy! Any help would be appreciated! Oh and btw, currently using PSE6 (dreaming about 8) if that is helpful information.

Thanks so much for you help ahead of time!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have PSE6

First got to "save for web" which is under "save as" then you'll get a prompt that says it's too big for web... click "yes" then on the right side you'll see the image size... change that to 600x600 pixels, click apply... then above that you can see jpeg and to the right of that you can change the % number (a slider comes up) to get the size to be just under 150k. then click OK and save it to where you want it saved.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is what I did but when I went to the image that I saved as my web image, I tried to upload it and the gallery said it exceeded the limit. Which when I was saving it for the web, I made sure that it all said under the 150 limit. I saved it as 600x600, jpeg, 50% which made it 140mb. So I am totally confused.

Is your starting image the psd file or the full size jpeg file? I was doing it from my saved jpeg that I use as my print file. Is this making any sense? I feel like I am just making it more confusing. I have been fighting this all afternoon and really to the point of pulling out my hair. I know it can't be hard which is making it more frustrating to me.

I will try it again in a little bit. I really need to step away from the computer and take a break!

Any advise is welcome!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Lightbulb

I'm using PSE8.
When you have completed your page as PSD, save it.
To resize image: Click on Image> Resize Image > Image Size
I then change this to 500x500 pixels
To lower resolution: File > Save As > Change the bottom bar to JPEG instead of Photoshop. This will then bring up a box called 'JPEG Options'. Drag the bar until the value until 'Preview' is under 150MB and you're done!
I've even found you can go slightly over as long as you're still in the 50's.

Hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have PSE 6 - don't use it anymore, but now use PSE 8 - but the steps are the same in both I believe. I save mine just like Heather said and don't have any problems.

So here are the steps I use. I save my psd file. Then I merge all the layers and go to save as and choose jpeg from the drop down menu. So at that point I have my psd and also my jpeg which is what I use to print my layouts. From there, I leave my jpeg open and go to Save for Web. When the box pops up that says the image exceeds the size Save for Web was designed for....... I choose Yes. Then on the right hand side of the screen where it says New Size, I choose 600 x 600 and hit apply. Then I go up to the top of the right hand side and choose JPEG from the little drop down menu. Lastly, I click on the little quality slider and slide it back and forth until I find the number where the file size is just under 150K.

So, for each layout, I end up with a psd file, a jpeg file and the last file I save with the same name, but add -web at the end so I know which one to use when I upload to the gallery. I don't have any problems at all.

Hope this works for you!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you girls!!!! I finally figured what I was doing wrong. I was really confusing my computer. What I WAS doing was changing image size on my jpeg and then saving it as a web photo and trying to change it some more! I was just making it harder that what it needed to be!

So, I finally got it figured out and I REALLY appreciate your help! If I could I would hug your necks!!!!!

BTW, I am totally jealous of you PSE 8 users! I need an upgrade!

Thanks again!
Tara
Old 01-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Tara I'm glad you figured it out! It can be so frustrating sometimes when I know something should be pretty easy but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it done.

I really like PSE 8. It still has a few glitches, but I had PSE 5, then PSE 6 and now 8. I really like how the features are more like 5 and it seems fairly easy to use!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did the free trial of PSE 8 and really liked it. Just haven't done the upgrade yet. I think it is due to not having ANY self control on NR Saturday's around here! LOL Oh well......I will eventually get it.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
I did the free trial of PSE 8 and really liked it. Just haven't done the upgrade yet. I think it is due to not having ANY self control on NR Saturday's around here! LOL Oh well......I will eventually get it.

Thanks again for the help!
Totally know what you mean about Saturdays. I sit on the computer just waiting for them to be released. This stuff comes before anything else nowadays... Haha