Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Back pain?

Does anyone have or know someone who has back problems?

My husband has had really bad pain the last few weeks and started going to a chiropractor but things almost seem worse for him than before.

He has gone for one massage too..

Anyways just asking if anyone has any recommendations for what else he could try.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ask your doctor for a referral for physiotherapy. My husband had pain in his shoulder and he did about 6 weeks with a PT and she did a combination of exercise, ultrasound therapy, electrotherapy, and massage and it eliminated his pain. It might be worth a try.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My hubby had to go the dr. & get some muscle relaxers...they usually work for him
Old 05-19-2014, 05:56 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I've been going to a chiro for about the last month. It's been working great for me. But, one thing I really like is to have the chiro do an Xay. That way I can see what the problem really is and I know that what he is doing is addressing the actual problem . . . not just me throwing money at a treatment that isn't going to help.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd definitely see a doctor at this point. I'd ask for physical therapy and maybe even some tests to make sure it's not a slipped disc or something.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

thanks guys. will def get him to get in to see the dr
Old 05-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yeah might be a slipped disc. chiro would make that feel worse. My BIL has a herniated disc and is in a lot of pain, but it gets a lot worse whenever he goes to the chiro (he has to for therapy reasons).

Old 05-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yes definitely have him see a dr if chiropractic measures are making it worse. That happened to my hubby and he ended up having back surgery for a herniated disc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gallery
Old 05-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

When my back is really bad, the chiropractor does feel worse at first as its moving into position, then it starts to get better until it's good to go for a while. It takes a bit of time to get the muscles to stop trying to force the bones back into the wrong position that it had been.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Where exactly is his pain? Does any particular movement make it worse?
Old 05-20-2014, 12:14 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

lower back in the middle
Old 05-20-2014, 01:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

a slipped/herniated disc could be anywhere in the spine. I'd def get him seen. those can be very painful

Old 05-20-2014, 01:57 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've got a herniated disc in the lower back and the neuro churgeon told me that chiro is very bad for the back!! I got pain management every 2 or 3 months with a shot in the back and it helped the first 6 times...have to go back next week, but send him to a doc please and ask for a MRI!!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've lived with it for the past 3-4 years.... mine is upper back/neck, made worse by sitting too long (at work, on the bus to work, scrapbooking ). I've tried chiro which didn't help much, and physio (massage, ultrasound, acupuncture) which was more effective but it just gets too expensive so I don't keep it up. The physio shows you exercises/stretches to do at home - that helps + heat packs and deep heat gels/creams (for temporary relief).

I'd suggest a trip to the doctor as a starting point too - they can order CT scans or MRIs, if only to rule things out. If it turns out to be just muscular then they might refer him to a physio.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

back pain is the worst i hope he figures out what's wrong!

i also wanted to add that i have probably seen 10 different chiropractors in my life - 8 of them did absolutely nothing for me and the other 2 were amazing - literally changed my life and helped with some chronic pain. the difference between the experiences was so amazing that i couldn't believe it. maybe it helps to shop around for a different chiro if the one he's using isn't doing the trick - but i'd look into the doctor as well in case it's something that cannot be addressed by a chiro.

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 05-20-2014, 08:23 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Back pain is not fun! It really slows you down. I had it a year ago, badly. And then last November, I did it again. Mine was odd. It was a combo of support and pulling/stretching of the fascia (thin layer of tissues that cover muscles). I hadn't pulled my muscles, but had pulled that covering which
was causing a lot of pain.

My treatment involved going to the physical therapist for 6 months 2x's a week, and he had me doing exercises, heat therapy, and electromagnetic treatments (a zapper). Then posture development and support alongside that helped - I have a rolled up towel on my chair at work to provide support for the area. I have to be more conscious of how I sit for long periods of time, and make sure to get up and move around/stretch.

Good Luck! I hope he is pain free soon.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

both my mom and aunt have back issues... I agree with the others to go to a doctor and get xrays to find out what is causing the issue. Also exercise to help strenght the core muscles are very important. My mom went through physical therapy a number of years a go and still does those exercises daily.

Do you have any doctors that are D.O's? Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine.. that might be just a U.S. thing... but it's a doctor that is like a chiro, but with a medical degree. They are trained to look at the whole body as to what the problem could be then just zeroing on the place of the pain... they also do adjustments like chiros. My whole family only go to D.O's... I have very strong feelings against just chiro degrees...
Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

thanks everyone.. getting him in to the dr and then i guess we'll go from there.
The problem with medical in canada, especially where we live, is the lack of drs. We are in a small town and have no close resources for good specialized drs and when we do get in the appts are usually months in advance. Hoping that the dr can provide some answers for him
Old 05-20-2014, 06:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kristin, I herniated a disc in my lower back a few weeks ago. doctors are only good for muscle relaxers, but I think they're pretty worthless. I so see a chiropractor, but he's an ART chiro, so his techniques are different. He's doing a laser therapy on me right now...it's considerably better after just the first two treatments...I have four more to go.

I recommend he see someone at a pain clinic (if you have those), or physical therapy where they can use an accuscope to reduce the inflammation and heal the tissue. If a chiro is ART certified, they'll work on movement. ART=Active Reflex Technology. Mine has helped me through several injuries (he mostly sees sports injuries)...even a severely strained calf.

I hope he feels better soon. Back pain is so painful.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

http://www.activerelease.com

You can search through here to see if anyone near you specializes in this!
Old 05-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ok...one more post

This is the type of laser treatment I'm having done
http://www.memphisspineanddisc.com/H...erTherapy.html

I don't know about this site or if they're using the exact same machine. My ART chiro ended up buying it for himself because he severely injured his hand right when he opened his new office. He couldn't afford to be off the time needed for surgery, and even then they were only giving him a 50% chance of it completely healing. He used this on himself for 12 treatments, had an MRI and it was 100% healed. I can't believe how much better my back feels just after my second treatment.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

thank you! <3 going to get him to talk and see what his options are for this