Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2018, 11:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you have an elf?

Last year my youngest told me to send Henry, our Elf, home and to never let him back in the house. We had Henry for several years and every year, my youngest HATED Henry with a passion. First thing he would do in the morning is come down and look for Henry. Then when he found him, he'd yell at Henry and throw him against the tree. I thought he didn't like Henry playing with his toys, so we started doing other things not near his toys. Nope, he would throw him in to the tree. Henry went missing for a few days. I finally found him on top of the fan blades when I turned the fan on to cool the room down.

So to honor my son's wishes, Henry didn't come visit this year. My son did see him and his box inside the Christmas decorations where he ripped him out of the package and screamed "I told you never to come here again" as he threw him across the room and stormed off.

I don't know if I'll ever understand why my son hates our Elf, but it makes for a cute story that I know one day he'll be embarassed when he gets older!

So what about you:
Do you have an Elf on the Shelf in your home?
How long have you had your Elf?
What is your Elf's name?
Do you move your Elf around?
Is your Elf naughty or good?

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 12-02-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do you have an Elf on the Shelf in your home? yes
How long have you had your Elf? It was a gift when my daughter turned 2 so since Dec 2010. This is our 9th year.
What is your Elf's name? Buddy
Do you move your Elf around? absolutely
Is your Elf naughty or good? good. He might do silly things but he's not naughty. I don't understand the book saying that the elf is watching to make sure the kids are good and then the elf being naughty. But our elf does funny & silly things.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

we have a Hanukkah version called Mensch on a Bench. He only comes out for the 8 nights of Hanukkah, which seems much more manageable to me. I can't imagine coming up with 25 different elf activities!

Hanukkah doesn't really have the "Santa's checking if you've been good" component, so Mensch is just a fun extra for the season. He gets up to something each day, sometimes silly and sometimes mildly naughty. Early on it was all fun/silly stuff and bringing gifts, but as the kids have gotten older the mischief entertains them more. I use a lot of Elf on the Shelf ideas for inspiration. He's written dry erase messages on the mirror, brought hot chocolate or treats, posed with other toys playing board games, gone fishing in a small bowl of goldfish crackers, unrolled toilet paper, stolen my phone for screen time, set up holiday decorations, brought DD's birthday presents, etc.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Do you have an Elf on the Shelf in your home? Yes
How long have you had your Elf? 2011
What is your Elf's name? Elliot (and a girl named Carmen...I didn't realize they had girl Elves and accidentally got one when I caught Elliot on fire and had to replace him).
Do you move your Elf around? Oh yeah!!
Is your Elf naughty or good? Very naughty. My facebook memories are so fun to look back on. I was going to stop doing the Elf since my girls are 18 and 14 but they insisted we keep him!
Old 12-03-2018, 02:05 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
we have a Hanukkah version called Mensch on a Bench. He only comes out for the 8 nights of Hanukkah, which seems much more manageable to me. I can't imagine coming up with 25 different elf activities!

Hanukkah doesn't really have the "Santa's checking if you've been good" component, so Mensch is just a fun extra for the season. He gets up to something each day, sometimes silly and sometimes mildly naughty. Early on it was all fun/silly stuff and bringing gifts, but as the kids have gotten older the mischief entertains them more. I use a lot of Elf on the Shelf ideas for inspiration. He's written dry erase messages on the mirror, brought hot chocolate or treats, posed with other toys playing board games, gone fishing in a small bowl of goldfish crackers, unrolled toilet paper, stolen my phone for screen time, set up holiday decorations, brought DD's birthday presents, etc.
I love the name, it just flows out of your mouth!!

We don't do Santa in the house either, never have and never will. Henry is just a fun little addon as well!
Old 12-03-2018, 06:56 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Do I have an Elf? No
And after reading some of these I wish I did. My son is now a junior in High School but y'all make the best memories of your elves and I am inspired!
Old 12-03-2018, 09:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nope...no elf here. I can't ever remember to be the tooth fairy. I'm not setting myself up for that kind of nightly duties. Just.not.happening.
Plus I find him a little creepy myself.
I decided to buy a Santa cam ornament instead....this one:

Old 12-03-2018, 10:18 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

How long have you had your Elf? ??? Maybe 5 years?
What is your Elf's name? It changes ever year. This year it is a Boy and his name is Elliott
Do you move your Elf around? Yes
Is your Elf naughty or good? Mostly good. Has tons of fun!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wendy, your story made me laugh! Have you ever asked him to explain why he dislikes the elf so much? I see a scrapbook page coming! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
What a great idea, Rachel! Love the name!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
Nope...no elf here. I can't ever remember to be the tooth fairy. I'm not setting myself up for that kind of nightly duties. Just.not.happening.
That's me, too, Carrie! LOL!!

We never did Elf on the Shelf... because I thought it was creepy.
In 2014, I missed putting away an owl decoration that I had put out for Halloween. I was too lazy to go put him out in the Halloween boxes, so I asked my mom to make a Santa hat for him. This started "Owl on the Shelf" ...I know... weird!
He didn't make an appearance last year because we were gone for Christmas, but he'll probably be out this year!

Old 12-03-2018, 12:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We don't have an Elf, but our youngest (12 years old) wants one. We just can't find them on sale! If you decide to get rid of your elf...we'll gladly take him from you!

It could be he just doesn't like the idea of his "toys" coming to life. The idea freaked me out when I was younger (toys come alive when you're not watching...that's kinda scary). So maybe that's his reasoning behind it. When you make believe, you are making them do things, but for them to do them all by "themselves"....that can be scary!

Glad you have the memories, even if you can't do the elf anymore!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes- Blue Eyes
My daughter got him when she was 2 -so 2010
What is your Elf's name?
Blue Eyes
Yes, but he stays mostly downstairs (and yes, I have forgotten a time or two!)
GOOD! I really don't understand why a elf would be there to report back to santa and THEN be naughty? Blue Eyes brings an advent card with a fun holiday activity to do each day. That's about as much as I can handle!
Old 12-03-2018, 02:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Elf on the Shelf is not my thing so no elves here.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We did it last year for my 5 year old. His 12 & 16 year old siblings were in charge of his antics. Well the 5 year old was very meh about him, and the 2 older kids left me in charge after a couple of days

He didn't show up this year & no one has cared or said a word about it. So I'm actually kinda relieved that it wasn't a hit.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2018, 06:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

haha I would love to know why your son hates your Elf so much! There has to be a reason!!

We don't do Elf on the Shelf. Would be fun I guess...
Old 12-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Funny thing is that there is just hubby and I here but we do the Elf thing. Mainly I do it and send pics to my grandaughter who just loves the elf thing.

My elf is named Frosty and it is a sibling to Glitter who is my daughter's elf.

Frosty moves around but does funny little things - like this morning he is in the refrigerator. First day he was hugging Santa Claus.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I decided to buy a Santa cam ornament instead....this one:
LOVE that!! Kind of creepy to think there's a camera in the house, but it's really cool!!
Old 12-03-2018, 07:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
We don't have an Elf, but our youngest (12 years old) wants one. We just can't find them on sale! If you decide to get rid of your elf...we'll gladly take him from you!
I don't think we'll ever get rid of Henry. I think Henry will be one of those things that the kids take when they move out of the house--sort of like their annual Christmas ornament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
It could be he just doesn't like the idea of his "toys" coming to life. The idea freaked me out when I was younger (toys come alive when you're not watching...that's kinda scary). So maybe that's his reasoning behind it. When you make believe, you are making them do things, but for them to do them all by "themselves"....that can be scary!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
haha I would love to know why your son hates your Elf so much! There has to be a reason!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Wendy, your story made me laugh! Have you ever asked him to explain why he dislikes the elf so much? I see a scrapbook page coming! LOL!
We did ask him last year, which has the journaling on the 2017 layout posted above. He doesn't like the idea that Henry moves and he's afraid Henry will ruin/break his toys should he ever make it in to his room. Although this year when he stormed out of the room after ripping Henry from his box, I tried to get out of him why he didn't like him and he said "I don't have to have a reason, other than I don't like him and want him to go away forever". Maybe next year, I'll have to hide his box a little better so he doesn't get so angry seeing Henry.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do you have an Elf on the Shelf in your home? Yes, two.
How long have you had your Elf? I can't remember. Its been a long time, like before Elf on the Shelf was popular. Mine are different...
What is your Elf's name? Ivy Evergreen and Jolly Evergreen. They also have some cousins and younger siblings. We have a family of 6 when the gang is all here.
Do you move your Elf around? Yes, but I'm failing this year. My kids are 13 and 16 now and don't need elves but they like them still.
Is your Elf naughty or good? Both. Jolly is mischievous. Ivy tries to keep him in line.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Do you have an Elf on the Shelf in your home? yes, I've two because I've twôchildren

How long have you had your Elf ? I discover the elf 3 years ago. I live in Fance and here this "tradition" doesn't exist. but when I saw this little guy, I fall in love find a way to bring him at home. the children love him.

What is your Elf's name? they are called King and Eliott.

Do you move your Elf around ? they move only during the night and sometimes in the day. but in the day, the children play with them when they are not at school.

Is your Elf naughty or good? both, but most good. for example, sunday they had eaten the chocolate in the Advent calendar and last night they put mustache on photos. and this night, they play with the shoes, lol
Old 12-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

This is our second year with our elf, named Mia, by our daughter. She absolutely loves it! Epic fail this year though when Mom (aka me) had too much wine with the girls on the night of the 1st and Mia "forgot" to move. Uh oh! I was woken up by a panicked 8 year old and had to do some quick thinking. LOL

The first night I placed the elf sort of bursting out of a mailing envelope addressed to my daughter... and thankfully that saved my butt! Sarah decided that the elf got stuck in it and needed my help getting her out. And what do know, when nobody was looking she magically escaped! lol
Old 12-04-2018, 06:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My 11 year LOVES the elf... he was starting at Thanksgiving wondering if Chris was coming and that he was going to email him to find out - yes, our elf has his own email address... haha! Is it a pain to remember to move him? Yes... but my son loves it so much. He asked me yesterday that he wanted to know if we will get another elf is Christopher retires. I said, I don't know... I would think that once Jake goes to college, Christopher will retired and that will be that... Jake said, "NO! It's tradition - he has to KEEP coming! I just wonder if it will be a different one..."

Yes

I think this is our 8th year? We had the traditional elf on the shelf and the next year my mom gave me an old elf from when she was little. Two years ago, I found a Christopher PopKins at goodwill and we retired the two creepy ones for this one. We also have Angel on the Shelf... she had came at the same time as the others... but I think this year she will come after Christmas to celebrate Epiphany... maybe with little craft projects or something... Jake would like that, we will be on break from homeschool.

What is your Elf's name?
Elfon (my son named him when he was 3... as in "elf on" haha) - retired in 2016
Landon (named after a boy in my son's YMCA fun for 4's class who would make "bad choices" - which is what my son said when Landon would be naughty in class.) - retired in 2016
Christopher - current elf

Yup!

Elfon was good, but a follower
Landon was naughty
Angel - of course good
Christopher good ol' fun
Old 12-05-2018, 12:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
We did ask him last year, which has the journaling on the 2017 layout posted above. He doesn't like the idea that Henry moves and he's afraid Henry will ruin/break his toys should he ever make it in to his room. Although this year when he stormed out of the room after ripping Henry from his box, I tried to get out of him why he didn't like him and he said "I don't have to have a reason, other than I don't like him and want him to go away forever". Maybe next year, I'll have to hide his box a little better so he doesn't get so angry seeing Henry.
It would help me to read. LOL! Poor kid. It totally makes sense, though. Especially after watching Toy Story. It will be interesting to see how he feels when he is older.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
LOVE that!! Kind of creepy to think there's a camera in the house, but it's really cool!!
Eh...my kids are 11 and 15 so they know the ornament doesn't work....I just thought it was cute...and I don't have to move it. Haha!

Old 12-05-2018, 03:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That story is both sad and hilarious at the same time, I'm sorry he didn't like him (and that I obviously have a sick sense of humor lol). That for sure is a memory worth scrapping and one that will last a lifetime.

Do you have an Elf on the Shelf in your home? We Do! We started out with just 1, but he brought a friend with him his second year and she has returned with him ever since.

How long have you had your Elf? This is year 4. (so my boys were 12, 9 and 7 when we started the tradition).

What is your Elf's name? Finkle (girl) & Farkle (boy -- the OG Elf).

Do you move your Elf around? They move every night, but they don't always go "crazy" on my house. Sometimes they get into Mischief and make a mess, other times they split up and find really good hiding spots to play Hide & Seek with the Kids, or leave candy canes around the house for a scavenger hunt (the last time they did this, it was MAY before the boys found the last candy cane hiding in the fridge LOL). Sometimes they leave a treat (a lazy moms dream), and sometimes they even leave a small gift/activity (like a gingerbread house kit, ornament craft, movie night goodies, etc), and they always start day 1 by bringing the boys their advent calendars.

Is your Elf naughty or good? A good mix of both I would say.... but more than anything I think they just have a good sense of humor and like making others laugh.

The boys love them, my oldest (who is almost 17), has been helping me out the past couple of years with some creative ideas. I look forward to when the boys are adults and I can send them off with their own elves and assign everyone days to do something creative to try and make the rest of the family laugh. I can already picture my boys trying to out do each other to see who could come up with the craziest ideas. lol
Old 12-05-2018, 03:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
This. Something cute and furry I could handle but not the elf!

I don't think its really a thing here in Australia - I'd never heard of it before seeing it here in the forum a couple of years ago.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:11 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I had an Elf on the Shelf growing up in the 70's. I didn't believe in it. I Just knew someone was moving it around. I'm so surprised to hear this elf tradition is so popular nowadays. I think my kids are too old for this belief now. And my cats would think he's a chew toy somehow.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How long have you had your Elf? Our first year and probably last

What is your Elf's name? Elfie the elf haha.

Do you move your Elf around? Yeah, there's been 2 nights I got in to bed and then remembered so I had to quickly do something with him he next morning before everyone woke up.

Is your Elf naughty or good? He's good with a mischevouis side. My 5 year old is naughty a lot so I'm not having him following in Elfie's footsteps.

I think he's creepy, so creepy, but the kids love him!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Do you have an Elf on the Shelf in your home? Nope. I'm not huge into the whole Santa thing and we have taught out daughter that God sees all she does; we don't need an elf to spy on her for Santa.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

OMG, Wendy, that's hilarious. We don't have an Elf, Nick has asked for one a couple times, but I won't do it. I know it would just cause me stress so I won't do it. I do enjoy seeing the shenanigans that others do with theirs though.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post
Do you have an Elf on the Shelf in your home? Nope. I'm not huge into the whole Santa thing and we have taught out daughter that God sees all she does; we don't need an elf to spy on her for Santa.
We don't do Santa either, never have with any of our children. My mom got us our Henry years ago and I figured it would be fun to have an elf moving around daily. Nope, didn't work too well for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
OMG, Wendy, that's hilarious. We don't have an Elf, Nick has asked for one a couple times, but I won't do it. I know it would just cause me stress so I won't do it. I do enjoy seeing the shenanigans that others do with theirs though.
I love seeing what all of my friends do with their elves. Some of my friends seem to be having more fun than their children! The other day, one of my friends placed the elf on the stove and told the family she couldn't cook dinner, so they went out to eat! I have another friend who posts a kid-friendly photo of her elf and then less than an hour later, a friend of hers is posting a funnier version of the same thing. It's quite comical!