Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-19-2019, 07:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Friday Fun Facts 07/19

Hi everyone. I have been without my computer this wk (virus and system crash so its in the shop for repairs) but the good news is that we finally got my old computer running (slowly) but its better than nothing. So.....without further ado.....here's your questions for today...all about electronics (it's only fitting after the week I've had LOL).
  1. What was the last electronic device you bought?
  2. When was the last time you got your computer upgraded or fixed?
  3. Do you own multiples of any devices? i.e. tv's, tablets, computers
  4. Do you scrap more or less in the summer months?
  5. Any technology advice or tip you wish to share?
Old 07-19-2019, 07:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. I will be paying for repairs and updates on my computer when I get it back next wk. The nice thing is I get a bit of a deal b/c my daughter works there, which is a nice perk. Plus we get the benefit of free advice from the staff about anything we have questions about.

2. Right now, b/c of a virus/crash which turns out to be kind of a good thing b/c they discovered that the cat5 connector really needed to be cleaned out (who knew??? LOL) and they said it could have caused damage if left unattended.

3. We are an electronic family for sure. We have 4 tvs plus 1 at our trailer. I have 2 computers and 2 laptops, all but 1 is fairly old but working for various functions....one I use in my office for streaming shows but the keyboard is messed up and the hard drive is very small with very few gigs but it's enough to run for streaming, that's all I use it for. The other laptop is really old and has a cracked screen but it works out at our trailer for scrapping (slowly) on. My main computer is downstairs in my office and that is the one getting repairs, that I scrap on. But now I'll be able to scrap on my other computer that we finally got working last night and today we'll pick up a cat5 switch box to hook directly into modem which will help speed it up. I'm sure it won't be as fast as my main PC but as long as its decent I will enjoy sitting upstairs and watching tv with hubs while I scrap at night.

4. I scrap less in the summer months as I'm outside more and off doing other activities and photo walks. But....I can't go without scrapping altogether, I just slow down a bit.

5. Clean the inside of your computer, not just the outside. I am going to check with the computer techs tonight when we go to pick up the cat5 switch box as to whether the spray air is recommended or not. Not really a tip I guess, but if you get a new tablet/phone, watch youtube for tips b/c I recently got a new phone (switched from iPhone to Samsung) and after watching a few videos I sure learned a lot about customizing the phone.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What was the last electronic device you bought?
Device- would probably be tv/sound bar/speakers for the basement we finished in March. It's Awesome! The hugest tv & we've been really happy with the surround setup.

I did just buy a new flash drive for the hubby's car-Tesla model 3- it records from all the camera's on the car, as well as a security feature when the car is off- if it detects motion around it- it'll record to the hard drive! There have been a lot of hit/runs that have been captured with the sentry cameras! IT's super cool!

When was the last time you got your computer upgraded or fixed?
I added some memory about a year ago & added a 2nd monitor last december.

Do you own multiples of any devices? i.e. tv's, tablets, computers
We have 4 phones- 2 older ones that the kids use as 'theirs' which have no number associated but they use them for games & such. We have just one tablet/one computer/daughter's chromebook. I'm REALLY hoping we can get a laptop for my birthday this year- Fingers crossed hubby/son doesn't have hospital bills (my laptop money the last few years!) I have two monitors for scrapping! We have 3 tv's now with the basement finished!

Do you scrap more or less in the summer months?
Less in summer for sure- mostly because we are at the lake house almost every weekend! I do enjoy the 'break' & read a lot more real books out there!

Any technology advice or tip you wish to share?
Hmmm... I'm pretty tech savy, but there is SO much that is over my head. I've really started to geek out on hubby's car- it's the fanciest computer we own! If anyone has any Tesla questions- I'm your gal! lol!

Last edited by AmieN1; 07-19-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

What was the last electronic device you bought? Last May I bought a Google Pixel 2. It was the first smartphone I ever bought because we always just got hand me downs when our parents upgraded. I love it so much! The camera is great; the only thing I don't like about it is not having Facetime & iMessage.
When was the last time you got your computer upgraded or fixed? I got a new computer last November...and it is refusing to boot. : ( : ( : ( I don't have the money to get it fixed now, so I'm using my husband's old computer for now.
Do you own multiples of any devices? i.e. tv's, tablets, computers? We only own one tv, but we have 2 laptops, a chromebook, 2 ipads, 2 old ipad minis, 3 Kindles & 1 Kindle Fire, plus our phones. Sometimes I think about how big a deal it was when we had one family computer when I was a kid and feel a little overwhelmed at all the electronics in our house now!
Do you scrap more or less in the summer months?Less. We usually travel in the summer, and I get in a funk.
Any technology advice or tip you wish to share?Nope, but I can't wait to see what advice others have!
Old 07-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What was the last electronic device you bought? Fitbit Alta HR
When was the last time you got your computer upgraded or fixed? Bought a new laptop last summer which was an upgrade. The old one wasn't worth upgrading.
Do you own multiples of any devices? i.e. tv's, tablets, computers We have a lot of devices in our house. We have 4 TVs, an Echo Dot in each room, 2 Firesticks, a ROKU, we each have an iPhone, we each have an iPad. I have 3 iPads and an Android tablet. We have 2 desktops and a laptop too but no room upstairs for the desktops so the laptop gets used most.
Do you scrap more or less in the summer months? Typically more. I'm off work in the summer (yay!) and I usually have way more time to scrap. This summer I overestimated my time and decided to take 4 classes. Each class is condensed and it is double the work. It is essentially the equivalent of 8 classes and I'm dying! No time for anything! However, I took one final yesterday and there are only 11 days left of classes for the other 3. I see the end in sight!
Any technology advice or tip you wish to share? Have backups, and back ups of your backups. Protect your data!!

Last edited by Sherri Tierney; 07-19-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What was the last electronic device you bought? haha! So timely, I just ordered a P-touch and it came today.

Do you own multiples of any devices? i.e. tv's, tablets, computers? well, we have two TVs, a small old one and one we bought in 2017. Then I have an old pc and an iMac, the old pc I don't use anymore so I lent it to my sister.

Do you scrap more or less in the summer months? I don't really know, but I think less because my daughter's out of school and we have all the chance to travel.

Any technology advice or tip you wish to share? Have backups, avoid clicking those suspicious links you receive from emails, phising emails, minimize tagging yourself in places you are (I'm just really private and careful when it comes to the safety of my family so my husband and I made a deal to avoid that as much as possible. Or maybe its because of too much Taken, Person of Interest binge watching).
Old 07-20-2019, 11:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got an apple watch for my birthday as a fitness tracker. I had it one day before I broke my foot! But I do love it for the convenience as I don't always have my phone with me and I don't miss as many calls now
I got a new computer for Christmas a year and a half ago.
We have 2 TVs and a projector for the teens. We each have a laptop and phone
Generally yes, but since I'm immobile this summer I'm getting more done!

Save often!
Old 07-20-2019, 01:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Just bought a Firestick on Prime Day. Still not out of the package =)
I bought a new laptop a couple of years ago - it was a huge upgrade - my old one ran Windows 7, had a 40gb hard drive, battery was shot & the wifi hadn't worked for 2 years.
I do not, but my family does - several tablets, etc.
Probably close to the same as during the school year.
I use EHDs to store my scrap stash - years ago I had my first one die and had to reinstall everything from DVD. I now have 2 and mirror them once a week. Backup - backup!
Old 07-21-2019, 10:34 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

What was the last electronic device you bought? Roku for the bedrom
When was the last time you got your computer upgraded or fixed? only had this one for a short bit so none so far.
Do you own multiples of any devices? i.e. tv's, tablets, computers Yes. 3 TV's, 2 computers but one of those is ancient, 2 Kindle Fires (one was stolen) 2 Roku boxes
Do you scrap more or less in the summer months? Less
Any technology advice or tip you wish to share? None can think of,
Old 07-21-2019, 05:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We bought a second TV for upstairs sometime in the last few months.

I had to get the screen replaced & a new cord this past December. It was a real chunk of change considering what they did (and didn't) do.

Do you own multiples of any devices?
We have 2 TVs. We technically have 2 laptops but we are borrowing them both. I can't think of anything else...

I am scrapping more this summer than usual but, generally, I scrap less as I usually take the most photos in October, December, & June-August.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

A new mobile phone for my daughter who recieved it for her 12th birthdy last wednesday. She was already hoping for one, and now with a new school coming in her path she needed one.

last March, my PC stopped working

in our household we have now 3 phones, 2 tablets,1 PC, 2 TV's, 1 playstation

Less, but i think around the year is all the same with me... I scrap when i feel i need to do it so it doesn't matter wich month that is

Not really
Old 07-22-2019, 09:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What was the last electronic device you bought? New iPhone about 5-6 weeks ago
When was the last time you got your computer upgraded or fixed? Replaced just over 2 years ago when my laptop was stolen
Do you own multiples of any devices? i.e. tv's, tablets, computers nope
Do you scrap more or less in the summer months? about the same
Any technology advice or tip you wish to share? Back up, back up, back up! and also If you need lightning cables for your phone, buy braided or metal ones, relatively speaking they tend to last longer than normal cables

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 07-22-2019, 12:33 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

What was the last electronic device you bought? Bough a new iPad Pro last week. It arrived on Friday and we already had a busy weekend planned so hoping to have some quality time with it tonight in between loads of laundry.

When was the last time you got your computer upgraded or fixed? I've had my laptop for 4-5 years but don't use it often at all so no need to upgrade or fix.

Do you own multiples of any devices? i.e. tv's, tablets, computers I am pretty minimal - 1 phone and 1 iPad which is my go-to and serves as my computer for scrapping and everything else.

Do you scrap more or less in the summer months? I haven't been scrapping long, so I can't really judge. I scrap and/or organize whenever I can!

Any technology advice or tip you wish to share? Back up, Back up!
Old 07-22-2019, 02:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't buy anything - my husband does it all... I believe an Apple TV was the last thing he purchases - we needed to upgrade in the living room, the Roku we had was having issues...

I'm afraid to answer this question as I don't want to jinx myself... I'm in serious need for an upgrade. My MacBook Pro is 6years old... it got a new battery two years ago, I think?

Oy - we have it all... 3 iPhones, 4 iPads, 2 MacBooks, 1 iMac, 2 AppleTvs, 1iPod... can you see a trend in brand? haha - funny to think that like 10 years I had to plead with die hard Windows/engineer husband to get a iMac to replace my HP Desktop. He said he didn't know anything about them... it wasn't until he got his first iPhone that he fell in love with Apple products... (I've was Apple fan from my first GIIS, in 6th grade! haha)... now he is vice president of the local Mac User Group and going to MacStock this weekend. haha!!

I don't know... I go into phases... probably more as we don't do as much of school. Probably more in winter as the weather is yucky.

Be kind to your eyes, don't forget to look up and focus on something in the distance every 20 minutes or so.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:43 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

What was the last electronic device you bought? iPhone
When was the last time you got your computer upgraded or fixed? My last computer got fried, so I'm on a refurbished laptop right now!
Do you own multiples of any devices? i.e. tv's, tablets, computers tv's and playstations
Do you scrap more or less in the summer months? I just started scrapping again, so no clue!
Any technology advice or tip you wish to share? never ask me for tech advice
Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What was the last electronic device you bought? My daughter and I got new phones a few months ago.
When was the last time you got your computer upgraded or fixed? Not for a few years.
Do you own multiples of any devices? i.e. tv's, tablets, computers? Yes, we have five televisions, three laptops and three Kindle Fire tablets.
Do you scrap more or less in the summer months? Less
Any technology advice or tip you wish to share? Nothing I can think of right now.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:37 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

1. A Nintendo switch last Christmas for my son
2. I bought this one a 1.5 years ago
3. TVs, Bluetooth speakers, Amazon Alexas, lots of things
4. I only scrap a page or two a month period now
5. nah