Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default more mac help - re:photos

alrighty....

I'm in photo organizing H3!!.

I've been scared of iphoto but I've played a little more and want to know ....

should I just import all my OLD pictures that need organizing into iphoto and just let it do it for me and not have them in a seperate folder on my desktop?!

I've been copying them out and deleting out of iphoto but now Ithink I want to go back and only use iphoto....

how do you back up with iphoto? I know with a desktop folder Ican just copy it over to our server as back up...

The Wheelchair Mommy Tweet*Tweet

William-2004, Lucas-2008 & Nathan-Summer 2011
Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am new to Mac and new to iPhoto. I have to tell you, I don't like the organization system. There are no "subfolders" best I can tell. I have all my pix organized by year, month, etc on a desktop folder since 2004 and I cringe to think of changing that system and organizing by "event" or "face". Maybe I just need to get with the times but I'm not sold yet!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

actually it can seperate everything by day. . . . and that is why I am reconsidering

and you can drag days to months and it will just be in scroll order... but yeah ... you can see it as folders so that is throwing me

Old 08-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

You can have all your photos in a July 2003 "event" and then if there was a birthday in there, create an even called "Josh's Birthday 2003" and it will put it right next to the July 2003 folder.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i am still learning iphoto - but i am trying to do stacy julian's "photo freedom" class (i'm really behind!) and i just learned about creating smart folders ... i am doing folders for each quarter of the year, but you could do each month, etc ... and then i put in the parameters (i.e., the dates) and it pulls all those photos together. you can also create folders just for specific events (holidays, vacations, etc) - and you can also rate photos and have that be a criteria for a folder - so that you are only looking at your better pics ... the more i learn the more i like it! LOL!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My photos are only in iphoto, although sometimes I have to export them elsewhere on the desktop when blogger conveniently doesn't see my latest import... I have yet to figure out why that's an issue. When we got the mac, I did move all my old photos into iphoto.

My only backups are with backblaze, so I can't offer advice on that.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I see you are newish to the boards and in texas!! welcome. I'm in North Austin. You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrijc View Post
My photos are only in iphoto, although sometimes I have to export them elsewhere on the desktop when blogger conveniently doesn't see my latest import... I have yet to figure out why that's an issue. When we got the mac, I did move all my old photos into iphoto.

My only backups are with backblaze, so I can't offer advice on that.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I opted not to use iPhoto when I got my MAC. I use the same folder method I used on my PC (by month), which works well with Lightroom. I'm certain I'm missing out on some wonderful attributes, but I simply don't have time to organize things.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
I see you are newish to the boards and in texas!! welcome. I'm in North Austin. You?
Grew up and still live in the Houston area. Although at this time of year, I wonder how I've survived the summers all these years! lol
Old 08-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

One thing I found in iPhoto is that it can really bog down when you fill it up with photos. I organize all my photos by months (this includes photos, edits and layouts) and then when I have a complete year I make a new database for that year. I also export that year to an external.

You can also take all the months (or occasion) events and then make an album from it.

http://iphoto.maccreate.com/2011/03/...s-in-iphoto11/