Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-30-2019, 02:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default School Already?

When do your children (or the area children) head back to school?

The younger two start school on MONDAY

Between this move, unpacking, registering everyone for school/college, I don't feel like we've even had a summer vacation. I'm so bummed that it's time already for school to start. We are still waiting for confirmation that the kids are enrolled in school, which is making it a little bit more stressful.

The oldest starts college the end of August-that's more like it!

So what about you? When do you all go back? Are you ready? Did you get your shopping done?
Old 07-30-2019, 02:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

we don't go back until after labor day here where i live (school goes until the end of june)

we can order school supplies for lucas (going into grade 6) so we did that. We'll still need to grab things for Lily for going into grade 11.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My son's first day back to school is on September 2nd Our summer break just started really...I love not having to get up early and if I want, just sleep a bit longer

I want to see what my son still has and what school supplies we have to buy. We do need to do that as soon as possible, otherwise we won't be able to buy anything anymore because other regions in our country start school again in a few weeks. Maybe I'll just order everything he still needs online but not sure yet.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My kiddos are on their second week of school. I don't like starting so early, but I do enjoy having 2 weeks off for Fall Break, 1 week off for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks off for Christmas and 2 weeks off for Spring Break. We get out at the end of May. Their school provides most of their school supplies, which is nice. We only get some things to help out the teacher like Kleenex, hand sanitizer, wipes (for kids to clean the top of their desk weekly), treasure box toys and such.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My kids start August 14. My daughter will be in 5th grade, and my son will be in (all-day) kindergarten (and potentially taught by my sister). My daughter always loves the first week of school as it's also her birthday week (which is August 17).

My mom (bless her pure heart) takes them both supply shopping before school starts so they both already have new backpacks, lunchbags, etc. DS got a Minecraft backpack & DD got a fluffy/furry unicorn backpack.

We are all so ready! We live out of district so my DD doesn't see any of her friends during the summer (her choice since she chooses not to get contact info for them but still), and they are both tired of going to the babysitter's all day. I have Mondays off so I will have a whole day to myself every week!

The only thing we are waiting on is DD's glasses. She left them on the floor at the babysitter's a couple weeks ago, and one of the dogs chewed off one of the earpieces. Another set is on order that's supposed to arrive before school but you know how those things go. I cringe thinking about her going to school with only one earpiece like a ragamuffin (and the first day of school pictures -- eeek!) so let's hope the glasses place calls me this week!

Last edited by LeeAndra; 07-30-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids go back August 13th. They're going into 10th, 8th, and 5th grades. We have the school supply lists for the younger two, but the oldest won't know what he needs until he goes to his classes. Every teacher is different. We'll probably pick up a few things this weekend and get whatever he needs that first week of school and anything the girls' teachers ask for that wasn't on their lists (it happens).
Old 07-30-2019, 02:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It is too early for school!! I have 2 in college that both start Aug 26. One is a freshman so needs some things for his dorm but it is going to have to wait until I can drive a walk when I get my cast off next week!
Old 07-30-2019, 04:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

3rd September here.

I'm sad because Abigail is starting her first year of school on the 5th September too!
Old 07-30-2019, 04:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My kids go back August 19th.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
3rd September here.

I'm sad because Abigail is starting her first year of school on the 5th September too!
What?! Didn't you just have her?

Old 07-30-2019, 04:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sept 4 here
Old 07-30-2019, 04:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls start on Aug 28th. They go for 2 days that week, and then have a 4 day weekend for Labor Day (just enough time for them to learn and forget their locker combination, where they sit for classes and how to navigate the halls to find their classes).

They will be in 12th, 11th, 10th, and 7th grade. The 7th grader is the only one starting at a new school (new to her, but all her sister's went there, so she knows her way around some).

Staples had sent us a $10 coupon back in June, so we used that to pick up a few school supplies. We still have more to get, but we had a big bill due this past week, so anything else has to wait until Aug. I usually make a check list of items we still have, and items we still need- I should work on that this week so we have a game plan!
Old 07-30-2019, 05:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I walked into Walmart the other day and saw the school supplies. It made me sad because I didn't need to buy any. LOL!

My youngest starts college on Aug 26. He moved out this summer, so I won't see him for his first day

I'm surprised at how many kids are already back in school!! What happened to summer??
Old 07-30-2019, 05:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We're in the middle of the school year here. Our big summer break is mid Dec to early Feb.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Public schooled kids go after labor day... we are homeschooled, we will do a soft start Thursday... J has VBS next week and Paper Camp the week after... Aug 27 is when he starts is co-op. Ugh- Jake is in junior high this year... 7th grade!
Old 07-30-2019, 06:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsashbaugh View Post
My kiddos are on their second week of school. I don't like starting so early, but I do enjoy having 2 weeks off for Fall Break, 1 week off for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks off for Christmas and 2 weeks off for Spring Break. We get out at the end of May. Their school provides most of their school supplies, which is nice. We only get some things to help out the teacher like Kleenex, hand sanitizer, wipes (for kids to clean the top of their desk weekly), treasure box toys and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
The only thing we are waiting on is DD's glasses. She left them on the floor at the babysitter's a couple weeks ago, and one of the dogs chewed off one of the earpieces. Another set is on order that's supposed to arrive before school but you know how those things go. I cringe thinking about her going to school with only one earpiece like a ragamuffin (and the first day of school pictures -- eeek!) so let's hope the glasses place calls me this week!
Oh no!!! I hope you are able to get them before school. Glasses and children are no fun and totally add a big stress factor to mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastml View Post
My kids go back August 13th. They're going into 10th, 8th, and 5th grades. We have the school supply lists for the younger two, but the oldest won't know what he needs until he goes to his classes. Every teacher is different. We'll probably pick up a few things this weekend and get whatever he needs that first week of school and anything the girls' teachers ask for that wasn't on their lists (it happens).
This is my issue with my 10th grader. We won't know until the first day of school when they send home all their required items. We picked up a few things here and there, just to be safe. Figured we'd take things back, after the fact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
3rd September here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I walked into Walmart the other day and saw the school supplies. It made me sad because I didn't need to buy any. LOL!

My youngest starts college on Aug 26. He moved out this summer, so I won't see him for his first day

I'm surprised at how many kids are already back in school!! What happened to summer??
I have children you can adopt---what am I saying, you can adopt me!!!
Old 07-30-2019, 06:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My kids head back August 27th. We usually get out around the first week of June.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My kids start back next Wednesday, Aug. 7. Teacher in-service starts Friday for me. I'm excited about a new school year BUT WHY DOES SCHOOL HAVE TO START SO EARLY??? My life would be perfect if school could start at 10.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My kids go back this Thursday 8/1. I now have a high schooler. He is starting his freshman year. My daughter will be entering 4th grade. She is thrilled that she got the teacher she wanted and that one of her friends is in her class I'm ready for them to go back. I did alot of driving around during the summer to take my daughter to various camps and classes and my son to the Y and see friends.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's too early for school! We still have almost a month of vacation left, going back 8/26. Until 2 years ago, I'd never in my life lived in a school district that went back before Labor Day. Then 2 years ago our district switched to starting the week before Labor Day. I'd much rather get out late June and go back early September, but now we get out mid-June and go back late August. What I'd really rather they do is add more time off within the school year--the older my kids get, the more they need those lower stress frequent breaks rather than a 10 week summer.

My kids will be in 11th, 8th, and 5th this year. No new schools or big changes. I'm planning to start school supply shopping on Friday since VA has a tax free weekend for it. I have lists for all 3 kids, but the 2 older ones will probably hear about some things that specific teachers do or don't want when they go the first day. But since everything is so picked over by then, we'll work off the school's master list for their grades now and return what they end up not needing.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:24 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

In Belgium school ends on June 30th and starts again on September 1st (this year September 2nd, since the 1st is on Sunday).
Besides that... We have 1 week of Fall break, a 2 week Christmas break, 1 week Spring break and a 2 week Easter break.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

August 19. Although, band camp started Monday, and cross country practice has been going for weeks already. With those things and summer reading it feels like we didn't have a break at all. Plus my 11th and 10th graders get to have a full year of their school being a construction zone. What a mess!
Old 07-31-2019, 08:27 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Our first day of school is August 22. I have to go in starting either the 19th or the 14th for teacher meetings. I'll probably start going in a little bit before that to start working on my classroom (moving rooms!) Our school provides school supplies, BUT instead of saving the money budgeted for school supplies, I've been spending it all on things for my class!

I started my teaching job mid-year last year, so this is the first "first day" that I'll not be able to take my kids to class & take all the pictures...I'm kind of sad about missing it. After failing to consider how I would be getting my "last day" pictures taken with **other** people's kids, and therefore unable to take pics of my own kids, I need to properly train my husband on "first day" pictures!
Old 07-31-2019, 10:04 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My son starts back on August 13th. He will be the 6th grade reading teacher! We are working on building him a class library, decorating his class room and getting necessary supplies that aren't provided. It is his first year and we, my sister, his wife and I, are all so excited to be shopping for supplies, clothes and decorations. My son is less excited by the shopping, but happy to have our enthusiastic help. LOL
Old 07-31-2019, 11:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

School doesn't start here until the Thursday after Labor Day. Summer vacay doesn't start until the last weekday of June though, so we're only about halfway through summer vacation now.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My daughter started her Sophomore year on Monday!!! She has a short summer but there are 2 week breaks in October, December and March!
Old 07-31-2019, 03:39 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My son will start preschool in the spring, but for right now, he's home with me! As a teacher, school starts on the 15th. I'm starting at a new school, so I'm actually a bit excited to start!
Old 07-31-2019, 11:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

School doesn't start here until the 26th of August. I just can't believe my daughter will be in 4th grade already. She has a lot of plans for this coming coming school year and we're really hoping sports is included in her list
Old 08-01-2019, 08:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That's way too early to start school in August!

Augustine starts preschool Sept 8th I think. I don't even know the exact date. I have time to figure it out. lol
Old 08-01-2019, 10:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids start thursday which seems really early to me, but a lot of my facebook friends have been saying their kids go back super early this year too. Maybe they're expecting a snowy winter and want to get some extra days at the front? haha

Old 08-02-2019, 11:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I go back the 19th, meaning both to work and my fall college classes. That is the first in service day. School starts on the 22nd. My kids start on the 23rd because they are 8th and 12th grade. Only 6th and 9th go the first day here, other than elementary of course. We got out on May 15th. We’ve had a nice, long summer.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My kids go back on the 14th. I have a 5th grader, 3rd grader and kindergartner. I think only the youngest is excited. Or admitting to being excited. I think the older two will be happy when they can see all their friends again. I only have a few of the moms' phone numbers so they've only seen a couple of friends this summer.

As much as I get annoyed sometimes with all that goes on during school, I am excited to try to get back to my normal WFH routine and maybe start exercising regularly again!
Old 08-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
My kids start back next Wednesday, Aug. 7. Teacher in-service starts Friday for me. I'm excited about a new school year BUT WHY DOES SCHOOL HAVE TO START SO EARLY??? My life would be perfect if school could start at 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
My son starts back on August 13th. He will be the 6th grade reading teacher! We are working on building him a class library, decorating his class room and getting necessary supplies that aren't provided. It is his first year and we, my sister, his wife and I, are all so excited to be shopping for supplies, clothes and decorations. My son is less excited by the shopping, but happy to have our enthusiastic help. LOL
That's so exciting for him!! Congratulations in the new class!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
That's way too early to start school in August!

Augustine starts preschool Sept 8th I think. I don't even know the exact date. I have time to figure it out. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
My kids start thursday which seems really early to me, but a lot of my facebook friends have been saying their kids go back super early this year too. Maybe they're expecting a snowy winter and want to get some extra days at the front? haha
Nope, that's about the time of the year B and W started school at D8 last year. D2 starts around M's birthday, which is a later start than D8
Old 08-03-2019, 01:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegCreations View Post
My kids go back on the 14th. I have a 5th grader, 3rd grader and kindergartner. I think only the youngest is excited. Or admitting to being excited. I think the older two will be happy when they can see all their friends again. I only have a few of the moms' phone numbers so they've only seen a couple of friends this summer.

As much as I get annoyed sometimes with all that goes on during school, I am excited to try to get back to my normal WFH routine and maybe start exercising regularly again!
I'm one of the odd parents who HATES sending their kids to school. I LOVED homeschooling. I completely miss the kids when they are gone. The house is too quiet. I'm missing out on what they are doing, learning, etc. When they get home, I just want to eat it up and savor the time they have with me because it's, oh so short!

Old 08-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My college kids both move in the week of Aug 19th. They start classes the following week. And my high schoolers both start the week of August 26 as well. We live in Eastern PA.
I'm originally from Jersey, so I hate that school starts in August. I grew up with it always beginning after Labor Day.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow