Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2013, 10:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Is it weird

That Cooper & his first cousin will have the same middle name?

Cooper is named after Sean & Sean's dad & my dad. Cooper Douglas Wiley, the Wiley was my dad's middle name & Douglas is Sean's middle name & my FIL's first name. My SIL said the new baby's middle name will be Douglas as well, is that weird?

DH says no, but I'm not thrilled by it
Old 05-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Not at all! I think it's sweet that they are also honoring that name in their family!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

are they related to your FIL as well? If so it's not weird

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have the same middle name as a few of my cousins.

My nephew named his son Jason....which I was not too happy about b/c our son is Jason. They also named their daughter Taylor which was the name we had picked out for a girl.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

All the first-born boys on one side of my family have the middle name John after my great, great, great, great grandfather... so not weird to me
Old 05-25-2013, 11:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ok, I feel better now. Yes, FIL is SIL's dad
Old 05-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not weird here. There are cousins that share the same family name as a middle name.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So, we just had our baby and his middle name is the same as a cousin's middle name (it's their grandpa's middle name). I was VERY hesitant to use it because they already did and I wanted something different, but it really went best with our little guy's name! So I agree, not weird... I hope.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Totally not weird to me, there are like 6 people on my dad's side with the name Shelby somewhere in their name (and only one is a girl), and on my step-dad's side there are like 20 people with Brandon somewhere in their name. It's insane.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 05-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

since the name has meaning to them the same as you I don't think it's weird at all

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For a middle name, I don't find that weird at all, especially when its a family name. But my sister and our cousin have the same first name - born less than a year apart. That I do find a bit weird.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I actually like it!
Old 05-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
For a middle name, I don't find that weird at all, especially when its a family name. But my sister and our cousin have the same first name - born less than a year apart. That I do find a bit weird.
Exactly this. Since it is middle, eh. If it was first name I would be upset.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

totally agree with Lynnette and Tara
Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks girls, it caught me off guard when she said it.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think so at all. When I was in grade school every girl in my class had the middle name Lynn, Lee, or Dawn. LOL As long as they don't share a first name, it's all good in my book. I'd actually be honored for my child to have the same middle name as one of their cousins.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm with the others, being it's a family name and the middle name, I think it's sweet and a nice tribute... I'm pretty sure that if we would be blessed with a second child, and it was a boy - the middle name would have been the same as our first which is the first name of DH. DH takes a lot of pride that Jake's middle name is David... and our second probably would have been Benjamin David. DH believes there isn't a greater honor you can bestow onto your child then the gifts of your name... but I'm not crazy with junior so I said no to a Dave Junior...
Old 05-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think it's weird at all as a middle name. I think it's nice that they're named after the same person yet still have their own identities/first names.

On the other hand, DH and his first cousin were only a few months apart and lived a few streets away from each other, so they were in the same grade at the same school. They had the same first name. Let's just say that my MIL was probably not thrilled when her sister told her what name they were going to use for the 2nd of those babies.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Pretty common thing around here, that lots of cousins end up with the same middle name (which is usually the name of a common grandparent), so it doesn't seem weird to me.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't think middle or first name is weird if a child is being named to honor someone. In my family, I have a number of cousins and a brother named James, all after my dad and my son says he plans to name his first child, boy or girl, James as well. I think it is fine, even incredibly sweet. Of course we do use a lot of nicknames to distinguish them all.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

When I lost my husband in a car wreck in October of 1986, my sister was pregnant with her 3rd child. When Robert was born in December of 86, she asked me if she could name her son Robert which was my husband's 1st name (I called him Bobby), I was very honored that she wanted to do that.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nope, not weird at all. We have several family members that share first or middle names. I'm a firm believer of naming your child what YOU want to name them. Doesn't matter how many others have the same name.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This.

You're choosing a name for your child...you want your very favorite/best name possible, and you shouldn't have to settle for what you think is second best simply because a relative or friend happened to use it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I'm a firm believer of naming your child what YOU want to name them. Doesn't matter how many others have the same name.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I agree with Jacinda on my mom's side of the family her brothers and my younger brother all have the name "Robert" somewhere in there cause they are named after my grandfather But funny enough my DD was born in 1993 and her name is Sam Miller and my BIL married a Sam so there are 2 Sam MIller's in our family LOL! so the stocking at my MIL's house say "Sam" and "Sam 2"
Old 05-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think it's weird at all since it's a family name. My stepsister's girls have the same middle name but spelled two different ways, one is Ellice and the other Allece but they are pronounced the same. This same stepsister once swore she was going to use the same boy's name we liked when she had a boy. We ended up deciding we liked that name better for our son's middle name (Tristan) and then years later she did have a boy but didn't use Tristan at all so I guess she changed her mind
Old 05-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

not weird at all since both are using a family name.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

As a middle name, I don't think its weird. I don't like it though when family members use the same first name as another even when naming for someone. It makes it too confusing. We already had an Abby in the family when a year later another family member decided to use Abbey again. Even spelled different, its the same name. Its bad enough that we already had two Lori's and two Jordan's thanks to marriage.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think you get dibs on the first name, but middle names are totally up for grabs.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Middle name, I think it's okay. First name, I'm not sure.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have no problem with shared middle names, and... honestly first names wouldn't bother me either. I think Krystal has a good point that everyone should name their child what they want. My dad and his little brother share the same middle name, Robert (after their dad), which is what we chose for Benjamin's middle name, too! In fact, funny story... My father had an older brother who didn't survive labor... he was delivered full term and was sadly, stillborn. Dad was born a year after Mark and my Grandmother loved the name so much that she named him the same thing. So, my dad has the same exact name as little baby Mark did. Some might find that creepy, but Dad doesn't mind and neither did my grandparents. LOL.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

I agree with the majority here. If it's a middle name it's perfectly fine, but it gets weird when it is first names! Hubby's name is Jamie Daniel, his father is Daniel James and his grandfather was Vincent James. If we have a boy we will probably continue the James tradition.

In saying that... I have married into a big family, my husband is one of 9 children.. who all have partners.. and almost all have 1 or more children.. so there have been a lot of names taken already. Since high school I had quite a few names picked out for future babies, but they have almost all been taken. Tayla (niece), Todd (brother-in-law), Kayla (niece), Tanya (sister-in-law), Michelle (sister-in-law), Isabel (one niece is Belle, another is Annabella, they named them together because they were only a few weeks apart), and most recently Jodie (soon-to-be-sister-in-law). Phew!

We named our first baby Melody Rachel, she was middle-named after mine and hubby's really good school friend Rachel. But one of the SIL's name is Rachael, and she is always telling people that we named our daughter after her.. yeah, no.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:13 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, add me to the list that don't think it's weird. I'd be less keen on it if it was a first name, but even then it probably wouldn't bother me too much.

We had our first around the same time as a lot of our friends and many of them snapped up names I wanted to use. In hindsight, I should have just used the name I wanted to use, since 9+ years later, we aren't that close to many of the same people, and now it's a moot point.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I agree with whomever said, name your baby what you want to name them. Life is way to short to squabble over a name (not that you all were but I've know many that have!!!). I had 2 brothers that had the same middle name - it wasn't even a family name my mom just LOVED the name!! Hahaha!! I was name (first middle and last name) after my dad's aunt, although she did get married so we eventually did have different last names. My youngest and one of my nephews both have the middle name Jeffery after one of my brother that was killed. My sister in law (hubby's sister) gave all 4 of her boys names of her husband and father. I think it's really common for shared names...I mean there is a reason most do that...they know the name will sound good with first/middle/last names!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I say no too but middle names carrying down are big in our family. My mom, older cousin and one of younger cousin's babies all have the middle name Ann. My grandmother, Abby and younger cousin all have middle name Lucille, and my aunt, and at least one of my cousin's kids have the middle name Lynn.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm on the not weird side, lol! Middle name seems ok... first might have been odd... but I would have just gone with it, and said that they had great taste in names.

My oldest is Shayne... and a closer friend actually asked if it was ok she name her son Shane... I said sure... and she didn't have to ask me! It was funny then...

Plus, we (and many friends) use family names for our kids... it seems to be big for my friends/family. Shayne is named after my grandfather..... and his brother, my youngest, is Colin. Colin is named after my grandfather's brother. So, in a sense, we are repeating history.... lol!

~Jenn
Old 05-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think middle names is weird. Especially since it's a family name. Now first names on the other hand....that's another story. It drives me crazy that my neice was named Emily a year after I named my daughter Emery. I can't imagine having two kids both named the same thing. Close is bad enough. But middle names...nah. It's fine.