Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default NSBR-Restaurants banning kids?!

Check out this article...
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/paren...lowed-2388887/

What's your take? Honestly I'm torn because I could see both sides although I think the act of banning is a little extreme.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Well, I have three kids, and there are times where I pay for a babysitter and want an evening out WITHOUT kids. I go to an upscale place/bar....and there are screaming kids there. I can't understand why anyone would want to take their kids to those places, and it really ruins my night.

And yes, I do have kids and we take them out everywhere. I do though, keep them out of "adult" style restaurants and bars!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think it really depends on the place. Is this a nice, fancy restaurant or one that is geared towards families? I can understand a nice, expensive restaurant asking you to not bring children... but if it's a place more like Applebee's? Well, then I think it's rather intolerant.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It seems like most of the places banning are bars. What the heck are people taking their kids to bars in the first place? When we go out with our DD, we go to family friendly restaurants, not an upscale, fancy restaurant. And like Jamie said, when I go out on a date with DH, I don't want to listen to other people's screaming children.

And I have a toddler. I KNOW that sometimes there is nothing I can do to calm her if she throws a huge fit. I'm always mortified and try to leave as soon as I can, whether it be in a restaurant, store, whatever. I know I hate listening to screaming kids, so I try to be considerate to others when it is my kid. That being said, a lot of parents just let their kids be hellions in restaurants, running around, screaming, banging into people, and they are just totally oblivious that their kids are being total brats. I think *that* is the type of behavior these restaurants/bars are trying to get rid of, and to do that, they'd have to ban every kid all together.

So I'm torn. As a parent, I'd hate to be turned away at a restaurant because I'm toting along a kid, but I get where they are coming from. If a restaurant had a sign that said "no kids" and it was a place I would like to try or normally like to eat, I would probably go back on a date night, and be thankful that I don't have to worry about listening to the child next to me throw a temper tantrum over his macaroni.

ETA: Just remembered that one of my DH & I's fave restaurants is kid-free... big sign on the door that says No Minors. It's not really a bar, basically just a restaurant w/ a lounge area. It's nice and we go there a lot, and have never been upset that we can't take our kid there. It's NOT a kid friendly place (loud music, dark lighting, all tables are high like bar height).

Huge fan of:

Last edited by scrapperjade; 09-10-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My first reaction is that I'm OK with it. I'd probably want to go there more. I don't recall that many screaming kids in restaurants when we eat out though. Maybe I'm oblivious.

eta: it seems like to me that the restaurant owner just wants people to be responsible for their kids' behavior. That seems reasonable. I'm thinking like Jaedyn, she means bratty kids having a temper tantrum. Why should that behavior be okay anywhere?

Last edited by meems; 09-10-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

If there is no law against it, they're free to do as they wish. Doesn't meant that folks can't complain, protest and take their business elsewhere. It's not much different than a bar not allowing anyone under 25 after 8pm.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjade View Post
So I'm torn. As a parent, I'd hate to be turned away at a restaurant because I'm toting a long a kid, but I get where they are coming from. If a restaurant had a sign that said "no kids" and it was a place I would like to try or normally like to eat, I would probably go back on a date night, and be thankful that I don't have to worry about listening to the child next to me throw a temper tantrum over his macaroni.
Yes this, I just really think that some places should not have children in them, I'm thinking mainly bars and the like. If I go to Applebees or Swiss Chalet or something, then yes, of course there are kids there. But if I go to a bar and grill, I really think that I would enjoy it more if there weren't kids running everywhere. I go on about TWO dates a year with my DH. I would like it better if I didn't have to listen to other people's kids, mine make enough noise the other 363 days of the year for me.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
Yes this, I just really think that some places should not have children in them, I'm thinking mainly bars and the like. If I go to Applebees or Swiss Chalet or something, then yes, of course there are kids there. But if I go to a bar and grill, I really think that I would enjoy it more if there weren't kids running everywhere. I go on about TWO dates a year with my DH. I would like it better if I didn't have to listen to other people's kids, mine make enough noise the other 363 days of the year for me.
Amen to that! DH and I get out very rarely too. Once for our anniversary and usually the other time I have to hint for about 3 months, lol!

Huge fan of:

Old 09-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to say I agree with some places not allowing children. Sometimes I just want some peace and quiet and a romantic evening with my DH. My kids threw their share of tantrums back in the day and I am so happy they are now well past that stage. I sympathize with parents trying to deal with upset children, I just want the option sometimes to avoid it.

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 09-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It doesn't bother me one bit. I have no problem with someone building a business that caters to a certain clientele (i.e. just adults). There are certainly plenty of businesses that have made their mark embracing kids and families (Rainforest Cafe, McDonalds, IHOP, Denny's, we even have coffee shops here where the middle is huge kids play area with tables for the grownups around the perimeter). It's not like families with kids have no dining out options.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm thinking like Jaedyn, she means bratty kids having a temper tantrum. Why should that behavior be okay anywhere?
I tend to agree that, ideally, it should be based on the kids' behavior rather than them just being kids. I wouldn't want people's screaming kids at Applebees either. Back in the day when my kids threw temper tantrums, we'd take them out of the restaurant if they were crying, even if it was a "kid-friendly" place -- no one should have to listen to somone else's kids screaming while trying to have a relaxing meal.

I suppose, though, that if some people aren't polite enough to voluntarily remove their screaming children, it might make sense for a restaurant to want an adults-only rule.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Having seen far too many parents just ignore thier tantruming kids and their kids running around between tables and thier kids throwing straws and napkins, I'm all for No Minors in some places. I'll take my kids to Chilis or IHOP, but I keep them out of places with the more 'hushed' type atmosphere, where people go for a nice, quiet meal. I've been the parent with tantruming child or the throwing child and I remove them, but not everyone does, including people I am friends with (and will not go out to eat with).

My friend says 'well how will they learn to behave in those places if they aren't allowed into them'. Well....they could start by behaving in IHOP first. Standards of behavior are not necessarily lower because the atmosphere is more casual and the prices are less. Don't disturb other diners with shrieking & running around is expected anywhere really except places with play places.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've OFTEN thought about opening an adults only restaurant.

On the rare occasion that I get to go out with just my husband, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie4b1g View Post
I've OFTEN thought about opening an adults only restaurant.
and cupcake bakery!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I, too, don't have an issue with it... it is the business owner's right, as long as it's not breaking any laws... and if it's an upscale restaurant, I wouldn't be taking my 3 year old there anyways. I've been one of those parent, too, who have had a screaming toddler and I always yank him out of the restaurant for a time out in the car... and usually, I end up having my food to go. I, like Jade, would like to be considerate to others.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a problem with it for the reasons that are listed above. They were talking about this on the radio and some of the parents responses were "you dont have kids so you dont know what its like". Well, I have kids and I do know what its like and I take my kids out when they start screaming like that. Its rude and inconsiderate of other people to let my kids act out in public places.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

at first i'm offended lol. i have kids. then again, i have kids that tend to fight or misbehave. we don't often go out to places because of this reason. but when we do go out its usualy iHop, the buffet, or pizza hut. i'd never take them to a fancy place. if you know your kids behave then you should have no problem with them there. if i went to a restaurant and saw that sign i'd be tempted to turn around and go elsewhere because i know how my kids act lol.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meems View Post
and cupcake bakery!
and a soup place. lol
Old 09-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I believe I actually saw the interview with this restaurant/bar owner from N. Carolina on my local news (being I'm a hop skip and a jump from that place). During the interview the owner stated that this wasn't a child ban... but a control your child or you will be asked to leave type thing. She also said that it didn't apply to like a infant who was crying... but the children having tantrums and such. Also, during the story they interview a couple with three small children... who were appalled at the sign... but having been to some places around here where parents think... we're at the beach we don't have to watch the kids... I can understand why.

I think all of this is leading to a bigger issue of parental control over their kids... and the right of others to enjoy their activities without the interruption of an unruly child whether it be in a restaurant or plane... I noticed our local mall and movie houses have signs stating what age a child can be un-accompanied... and for good reason... some parents were using the movies as a baby-sitter and the older children/pre-teens weren't allowing others to watch the movie peacefully.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:11 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Location: Hi Ya'll:) I'm a transplant from the "states" to Interior Alaska-

Well, I think that the comment the manager made to the child who was autistic was waaaay out of line.

That being said, (and not to be mean), if you know your child is prone to being loud (special needs or not) then take them to a place that is Designed for loud kiddos. News flash, kids grow up, and when they get to a point where they are able to eat at a nice place and be quiet and respectful of those around them.... then there should be no problems.

Then again, I see it from a mothers view too... but I lean towards the above opinion more (I don't have kids yet)... I don't mind kids, then again I'm a photographer so I work with them everyday ALL day, they tend to blend in with all the other noise lol
Old 09-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have an issue with it. There are a few resturtants around me that have a sign in the lobby asking that if your child starts to throw a fit that you take them outside and let them cool down then come back inside. I've had to do it a few times with my 2.5 year old.

I will say through that when we go out unless its my kid throwing a fit or being loud I don't even notice.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with the overall thought. Really is it so bad to ask parents to "parent". I've only had my youngest once start to cry... I immediately got up and took her out of the restaurant. My kids are rather well behaved out in public. Even at Chili's on base here it is greatly frowned upon if you don't remove or make your kid behave. I know personally I don't go out to eat to have to deal with screaming, crying, bratty kids. Though our date nights are rare we don't usually go to a bar/club. So we run into the screaming child too much. Really ruins date night!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think most of us here are mothers. And because of that, we need a break sometimes from kids. I really don't think it's fair if I'm paying a babysitter, and getting a once/twice a year break, that I go to a place where other parents are letting their kids run around and misbehave. What's the point in going out to get a break from your kids? Of course, if we went to McDonald's or somewhere, it'd be our own fault LOL.

I have kids, but really, there has GOT to be a place where we can escape! LOL!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Well I think a public ban is extreme, but I can tell you, screaming tots I can do without. Guess I am torn on it. But I could totally see myself paying more $$ for a flight, for example, that was childless. That would be heaven.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by profiler_mar View Post
Well I think a public ban is extreme, but I can tell you, screaming tots I can do without. Guess I am torn on it. But I could totally see myself paying more $$ for a flight, for example, that was childless. That would be heaven.
I don't blame you there! We went to the Dominican last December, and it was an 8 hour flight. My DD was just about 2, and she did SO well on the way down. On the way back she slept most of the way, but she was asleep during our descend. OH MY GOODNESS. She woke up SCREAMING (she'd also gotten a cold while we were there) because of the pressure in her head. Like torturous, pained screaming. And I could NOT get it to stop, she wouldn't sip on anything or suck on a candy, she'd just throw it away. I can't really blame her, it wasn't a temper tantrum, but she was in major pain. She screamed for half an hour, and people were getting so upset, like I should be doing something about it. It was just awful.

I was thankful when that flight ended, as I'm sure were other passengers! I'm sure they were all wishing for a child-free flight as well, lol!

Huge fan of:

Old 09-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

childless airplane flights? i bet i was the most hated person on the plane trip back from being stationed in Germany when Chloe was 2.5 lol. she cried and whined for most of the trip. but she was bored. its a looooong flight. i had brought a bag full of toys and games and coloring books. that only worked for awhile. its not like i could have taken her outside for a time out lol. luckily, we don't ever fly now so i will never annoy people again on an airplane.