Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default Kids and Tummy Aches

Do your kids complain about that their stomache hurting at various times without actually being sick?

The reason I ask is because my daughter (she's 9) complains alot about her stomache "hurting". She never actually gets sick and it always goes away in a relatively short time. They don't seem that severe because she will mention it and go lay down but she isn't crying or doubled over in pain.

To give a little history, about 2 years ago she was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst the size of a softball and had to have her ovary removed. We go once a year to have an ultrasound and be checked by her surgeon to ensure the other ovary remains healthy. I am, obviously, sensitive to tummy aches because that issue presented itself as a problem with her appendix (even the ER folks were surprised). She remains clear of any problems with that and thank God all tests came back clear.

I know she could have plenty of non-medical issues that give a stomache ache (stress and anxiety are two of them) but I'm concerned there might be something else going on and I just can't get a straight answer from her doctor. I'm really just curious if anyone else has had this problem with their children and what the outcome might have been.

Thanks for reading.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Could it be a constipation issue with your daughter? I know my nephew gets stomach aches a lot and his pediatrician ruled out serious things through testing, etc. and concluded that it was probably constipation. Now, this kid is a horrible eater, so it's no surprise (hates veggies and fruit so he doesn't get any good fiber effects from them - LOL). He lives on cheese, pasta, and meat, so that's his major problem.

My DD has a nervous stomach and will get stomach aches before tests, games, concerts, etc. Once she gets started on whatever it is she's fine.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DD complains here and there about her stomach hurting. I think there's a whole variety of things that can cause it, but she's not necessarily old enough to understand whether it's caused by drinking too much milk (she's slightly lactose intolerant), gas pains, heartburn, stomach bug, anxiety or even hunger.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I don't feel it's constipation because she eats fruits and veggies and seems to be...um, regular. LOL

I'm leaning toward the nervous stomache but don't want to assume. My Grandmother keeps telling me that their pediatrician (60+ years ago...rofl) said adults get headaches and kids get stomache aches. I just wish I knew what was causing it so I could help her.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It could be a food allergy. My poor sister had a lot of stomach aches when we were little. As an adult, she would get headaches and stomach aches.. almost chronic, but not enough to stop her from doing things, just really always in the background for her(poor thing... no one should have to live like that). Finally, she went to a Dr and they found out she is allergic to all kinds of things! Maybe get her checked out for that?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My immediate thought was nerves. Both my daughters complain about stomach aches from time to time. My older daughter tends to have pain that comes and goes when she is worried or upset. It's taken her several years to learn what that nervous/worried feeling feels like verses something else being wrong. She's 12.

Sometimes they have acid reflux and we use up to 2 Tums at a time and see if that helps. At the very least they are getting some calcium.

Having been through this myself I would suggest keeping a little journal when the pain happens. What did she eat prior to the pain? Has she had a BM that day? How does her tummy feel- swirly, sharp pain, achy,etc? How long the pain lasts. Did a Tums help, med gven. Then take the list to the ped to review if it happens regularly or you see a pattern.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My first thought was the same as Robin's... food allergy. I have an intolerance with gluten and if I eat too much of it, I get a stomach ache... unfortunately, it doesn't always show up on tests if you are allergic or not, unless you are really allergic... it's one of those that if you try not eating it for a few days and see how you feel.

Otherwise... my mom as a child had an ulcer... I don't remember how old she was, but I remember her saying how she could only eat cream of mushroom soup.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My brother was a major worrier as a kid and always had tummy aches from them. I had some allergies that caused stomach aches and if my son is complaining about tummy aches its cause he has gas. So those were my first thoughts.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe you could keep a journal for a week or two tracking what she eats and any stressors for the week and see if they coincide with when she complains of the stomach aches? A pattern might emerge that you didn't see otherwise.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

My daughter missed a lot of school in 5th grade because she complained of stomach aches. I took her to the pediatrician after a while to get down to the bottom of the problem. I thought it might have to do with gas, or her diet, or who knows what---it turned out to be caused by a bully and the bully's friends. My daughter was trying to stay home to avoid the bully (I knew she was being *teased*, but had no idea it was that bad, and she had a difficult time verbalizing what she was going through).

She also got "backed up" pretty badly once or twice, to the point of throwing up. I think that was also stress related.

My son, who is now in fourth grade, also comlains about his stomach hurting. He says it comes and then goes. It's not gas, he's going to the bathroom...so I don't know. He's not being bullied. His pediatrician said that sometimes childhood migraines express themselves in the abdomen--sometimes he has a concurrent headache. So at this point, who knows!