Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default UGH. Teaching responsibility is slow process.

One of my 13 year olds is upset because of this situation. Yesterday he took a boy's school planner and put it up high where he couldn't reach it as a joke. He does this a lot and I don't think it's funny. Like hiding my son's iPod and laughing when he can't find it. Well, when he gave the planner back it was covered in dusty stuff and the kid said, "I can't use that!" So he, my kid, took it with him to his next class and threw it in the garbage! Then the other boy got in trouble for not having his planner and expects Jake to buy him a replacement. Jake is all bent out of shape because he doesn't think it's his responsibility to do so. Uh... how do you figure that? We need a 'duh' emoticon. I'm making his pay for it out of his own allowance, lol!

They do eventually learn this stuff, right?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It takes the parents being consistent, but yes, they learn it. Mostly.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I hope they learn it!! I think you're doing the right thing by making him pay for it out of his allowance. Just keep being consistent and eventually it will come.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I believe there is hope.

And BTW - you did the right thing.

We made our oldest buy herself a new lunchbox after the dog chewed it up to get the Teddy Grams out. She was told (repeatedly) to pick up her lunchbox. Well, the inevitable happened 2 weeks into school. She has never left her lunchbox on the floor again. And it was a Perry the Platypus lunchbox that could not be replaced. 2 lessons all rolled into one.

BTW - she will be 7 next week.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczos911 View Post
I believe there is hope.

And BTW - you did the right thing.

We made our oldest buy herself a new lunchbox after the dog chewed it up to get the Teddy Grams out. She was told (repeatedly) to pick up her lunchbox. Well, the inevitable happened 2 weeks into school. She has never left her lunchbox on the floor again. And it was a Perry the Platypus lunchbox that could not be replaced. 2 lessons all rolled into one.

BTW - she will be 7 next week.
LOL! That just gave me the giggles.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes a few hard knocks will do it. I mean...that's what happens in our lives too right? If you don't show up on time to work...you not going to keep your job!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

You definitely did the right thing. I make my daughter (who's 10) pay me out of her allowance. She has a habit of "forgetting" things, or in my words, LOSING them. I've had a couple instances where she lost her jacket at school or forgot her karate jacket (we luckily got that one back). Teaching responsibility is probably the hardest thing I'm working on with her right now. She is a good kid and an A student but taking ownership over her things and her responsibilities has been a tough lesson to learn. We aren't quite there yet but we are improving.

PS: I feel like I have to give my child a little praise in this post too...she ALWAYS does her homework during extended day care without ever being told. This makes me proud!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesfl326 View Post

PS: I feel like I have to give my child a little praise in this post too...she ALWAYS does her homework during extended day care without ever being told. This makes me proud!
*like*
Old 03-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesfl326 View Post
You definitely did the right thing. I make my daughter (who's 10) pay me out of her allowance. She has a habit of "forgetting" things, or in my words, LOSING them. I've had a couple instances where she lost her jacket at school or forgot her karate jacket (we luckily got that one back). Teaching responsibility is probably the hardest thing I'm working on with her right now. She is a good kid and an A student but taking ownership over her things and her responsibilities has been a tough lesson to learn. We aren't quite there yet but we are improving.

I have an almost 10 year old who is less than responsible too. Its a hard lesson to get across. Right now she has misplaced a book from the public library. She's been told that not only will she not be allowed to check out another book until it is found but that she will pay for it herself if it is not found. She also wasn't allowed to buy any new books at the school book fair which just about killed her as she's an avid reader.

She has lost other things in the past too and always feels bad about it but not bad enough to start being more responsible. I feel like we're always coming down hard on her because she is such a great kid in every other area. She gets straight A's, she is getting a citizenship award for this quarter at school, she's at the top of her school for reading counts (a program through Scholastic books where they read books and take tests on them, each book is worth so many points and the kids set goals of specific numbers of points and earn prizes) for the second year running, etc. I mean she's a model student at school... every teacher wants one just like her. At home though she can be irresponsible, she picks on her brother and she pulls an attitude with us.