Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default HCG for weight loss???

If this question was asked somewhere along the way I apologize for repeating.

Have any of you ever done HCG drops or injections? I'm only asking because I had a conversation with my doctor last Friday and he suggested I try them. WELL, I googled it and it's kind of scary! I'm just really curious if this has worked for anyone, what, if any, side effects you had, and if you would recommend it to someone?

Thanks for reading!

Old 06-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have not but my aunt is on them and she has lost way too much weight...the thing is it makes you not hungry (or so she tells me) and so you only eat like 500-600 calories a day! And the stuff I've read is really scary..I even saw a special on like 20/20 or something about how dangerous it is. And yes she's lost tons of weight but she doesn't look healthy and I'm so afraid for her with the scary side effects.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

-It's very dangerous.
-It's not federally regulated. And, often they collect the HCG from the Urine of pregnant women in 3rd world countries. Some women have gotten Mad Cow Disease.
-The reason you lose weight is not the HCG. It's the fact that you're on a very calorie restricted diet. If you went on the same calorie restricted diet, minus the HCG, you would lose the same weight.
-HCG is not an appetite suppressant. An appetite suppressant would actually work better for that sort of diet.

If your medical professional is suggesting HCG as a form of weight loss, that sort of concerns me. It's not something that doctors should be recommending because it is SO unregulated.

I would look into other forms of weight loss that are better tested, and more effective. If you are reading information that causes you to worry about it, perhaps you should consider something else. You don't want to put yourself at risk, even if a doctor advises you it's a good weight loss plan, if it's not something you feel comfortable with.

I'm against the HCG weight loss plan, but that's just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 06-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Isn't HCG the hormone that naturally increases in pregnancy?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

"He describes the protocol as extreme, nearly impossible to adhere to, and senseless, especially because the clinical trials have demonstrated that hCG is ineffective as a weight loss aid.

Since 1975, the FDA has said that hCG is not a weight loss drug. Keep in mind that the FDA doesn't regulate web sites selling hCG and doesn't oversee whether the hCG product you order is safe, free of contaminants, and in the correct concentration."

"It is virtually impossible to meet your nutritional needs for carbohydrates, protein, fats, and fiber with less than 500 calories per day and the diet will most likely result in vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

Minimum calorie levels are closer to 1200-1500 daily to satisfy hunger, fuel daily activities, and provide all the nutrients you need for good health each day."

-From WebMd article

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/t...or-weight-loss

Samuel Klein of Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis agrees: "Data from most randomized controlled trials show that HCG is no better than placebo in achieving weight loss or reducing hunger."

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/fit...iet24_ST_N.htm

"Exactly why the hCG diet is experiencing a revival now is unclear, but the hype has sparked a response from the FDA. In January, the agency warned that homeopathic hCG is fraudulent and illegal when sold for weight-loss purposes."

And, the diet is REALLY bad for you, as explained here with a sample meal plan: http://health.usnews.com/health-news...s-worth-theisk If you slip up, they expect you to only drink water and eat nothing but 6 apples for 24 hours, to get rid of the water weight.

New Siggy Coming Soon

Last edited by Jengerbread88; 06-14-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboutique View Post
Isn't HCG the hormone that naturally increases in pregnancy?
It is, but recently it's been marketed for weight loss, as well. They collect the urine from pregnant women, process out the urine so they only have hCG left, and then take the hCG and make serums and injections out of it. Then, they sell it at a high price and combine it with a diet plan where you consume around 500 calories per day. The hCG is claimed to suppress the appetite, but studies show placebos are just as effective for meeting that claim.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My MIL is on it but I have no idea how it's going for her. I would never do the diet though... it seems really unhealthy to me.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I don't know anything about it, but from what's been posted here it sounds absolutely ridiculous. 500 calories a day is AWFUL for your body.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesfl326 View Post
If this question was asked somewhere along the way I apologize for repeating.

Have any of you ever done HCG drops or injections? I'm only asking because I had a conversation with my doctor last Friday and he suggested I try them. WELL, I googled it and it's kind of scary! I'm just really curious if this has worked for anyone, what, if any, side effects you had, and if you would recommend it to someone?

Thanks for reading!
I would actually considering changing your doctor. How can he suggest anything like that? This has been discussed here before, and it's one of the most absurd diets I've ever heard of. Changing your lifestyle to a healthier one and exercising more is slower but more productive in the long run.

Last edited by adrianka; 06-14-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've known several who have been on it. They lost WAY too much weight, and gained it all back after they went off of it.

My regional manager and her husband are doing it now. It's scary...she's so thin as it is.

I won't even consider it an option for myself.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's a quack thing. Anyone will lose weight on only 500 calories a day.

I've had some friends on it. One lost a lot of weight and has gained all her weight back plus 28 lbs.

Another friend was on it, and got severe shakes and had to be taken off of it.

I would NOT recommend this to anyone.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I don't know if I should admit this, but I've done it. I lost about 28 lbs in 40 days. I have to say I loved that part about the diet. It is extremely hard because not only do you eat just 500 calories per day, but you are also restricted to certain foods (ie. no fats, oils, etc.) basically 4 oz of lean meat (chicken, fish, very lean ground beef or steak), a handful of certain vegetables, and an apple, orange or 1 cup of strawberries twice a day. It was very boring and though I was never ever hungry for what was on my plan, I have to say I still was "hungry" for all the other foods I wasn't supposed to eat. I never had hunger pains though, everything just looked yummy. You must have HUGE willpower to be able to stick to the plan. Also after the 30-45 days you would think you could get some relief and go straight to eating healthy, but you can't! You are then supposed to do a strict no sugars or starches (basically Atkins) for 3 more weeks and then slowly add back in "normal" foods. If you don't do this last step you will gain all of the weight back! and FAST!
Don't get me wrong, I knew that it was "bad for you" when I decided to do it, but I was desperate to shed the pounds and nothing was working. I have had thyroid problems since I was 22 and have since then, always struggled to keep the weight off. After I had my 2 boys and gained 60 pounds. I was so over it. I would have done just about anything to get back to being "me". After I did it I was thrilled with the results, but I'd never do it again. The only reason I was able to stick to it at all was because every day I got on the scale I would see the numbers going down. On other diets I was lucky to lose 1 pound a week and sometimes nothing. It frustrated me so much that I would just give up. I have kept the weight off but not without a struggle. It's certainly not a quick fix. Also I never had any of the side effects that people talk about.
All that being said. You should probably take the advice of all the people above me and not follw my bad example
Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I never have but whenever I got pregnant (natural surge of HCG) I always lost weight...like 30 to 40lbs all while still eating a ton!!! However...as soon as I gave birth and my hormones "regulated" I always gained it back plus some!!!! I'm not sure what HCG does to the non pregnant body but I'd be leary!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzi View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmm, I don't know if I should admit this, but I've done it. I lost about 28 lbs in 40 days.
Actually, it's *nice* to hear your take on it. It gives her a more balanced perspective than just all of us nay-sayers

I've known people that had success with it during, and even for a bit after, I will give them that (some of the people I knew did it just for vacation, so keeping it off for a little while was considered a success for them- they want to do it before vacation every year now). But that last step is a pain in the butt, from what I've heard, and everyone I know who tried it, gained the weight back, EXCEPT FOR one friend, who landed in the hospital from the diet, and then refused to eat when she was in the hospital because it wasn't part of her diet. She managed to keep the weight off, I think, but she was *really* sick. That's not to say that it can't work for some people.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

First, let me go on record as saying I'm not considering it...I was just wondering what it was all about because I honestly did not know anyone who was ever on it.

Second, I too cannot imagine living on 500 calories a day on ANY diet. If you have any sense of intelligence you'd have to think how can I get my nutrients. I personally think it would be even more difficult than just being on WW or Jenny Craig (something like that). It also sounds really gross to use processed urine! LOL

Thanks for the info and thanks Kenzi for being brave enough to share your story. I appreciate the information you all have shared.

I think I'd rather have my mouth wired shut! (kidding...just kidding)