Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Tell me about xBox 360 Kinect please

We are thinking about getting the xBox 360 with Kinect for Christmas. Pros? Cons? We have a Wii already and we would move that on to our smaller television mostly for the benefit of being able to use it for watching Netflix.
It seems like there are more family-oriented games for the xBox 360 now and we are thinking that the Kinect feature sounds cool. Obviously, there's Just Dance 3 and Dance Central. Which would you recommend between these two? And what other games? (We're probably not getting the pet games as we can't have a pet right now and these games make our kids want a puppy or kitten even more.)
Old 12-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We got one for Christmas last year! Our teens love it. I'm awful with the names of games, but we have a fitness game, a sports game, and the one that came with it. Thinking of getting one of the dance games for Christmas. My husband got (but we haven't yet hooked up) an adapter thingy that lets you stand a little closer to the screen? We have a pretty big living room, but we've found that sometimes the kids get too close to the screen for it to properly read their motions.

Overall though, I totally recommend it. After the baby is born, I plan to get back on track with the fitness game because it's a real workout!!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

It's SO fun, way better (IMO) than the Wii. Selecting with your hand sometimes can be a little like trying to get the Wii controller pointed at the right thing, when you're hitting start or whatnot, but once you start playing the game, it just sees your body and you have fun with it.

The only real con I would say is that with really small kids (like under 3) they can get in the way and that drives the older kids nutty. If other people are walking into the frame, it messes things up.

Other than that, it is so fun and the games are great, they just keep getting better. We've had ours since it came out. I'm not a big video game person, but I like Kinect
Old 12-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm watching this thread too. We just bought the console with kinect for Christmas, but don't have any games. Our kids are boy 17, boy 15, girl 12 & girl 6... We really wanted something fun we could do with the kids and fun for them to do with their friends.

Stephanie
Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

TOTALLY RECOMMEND THIS GAME!! We got it last year for Christmas and we all love it. My kids are teens and I love watching them & their friends laugh and play. We have Dance Central and the first Kinect Sports games but plan to get Just Dance 3 and Kinect Sports: Season 2 this year. Also, there are games you can download online if you have the XBOX Live. My son DL'd Fruit Ninja the other night. It was hilarious watching him play that game with his whole body!!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

We have one and LOVE it!!! Right now we only have the game that came with the bundle but plan on getting a few this Christmas. I can't wait to get a fitness one.

My in-laws have a Wii and I honestly like the Kinect better. You don't have to worry about using a controller. And yes, sometimes the Kinect can be tricky but it's totally worth it.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am so glad to hear all the wonderful reviews about this because my husband and I were really perplexed about what to get our kids for Christmas. We would rather get one big family gift that everyone can use and actually WILL use, rather than a bunch of stuff that they never bother to play with. Our kids are 10 and 14. My 10 year old always stops at the Kinect display at the local store and its hard to get her away from it, so I'm sure that it will be a winner for her. Of course my husband is very interested because of the games that would appeal to him.

Keep talking, ladies! Tell me more. This really sounds like the right family gift.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

We have 2 older girls....12 & 10 and then our new baby is only 9 months. But as a family we all love playing it. Especially the girls. And even most of the games are workouts on their own. lol

It's definitely entertaining.