Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Since we're talking about "female" issues

Who here has had their tubes tied? Since I'm scheduled for a C-section next week, I've decided to go ahead and have a tubal ligation at the same time. I'm just wondering if there are any lingering affects of that type of surgery as it would relate to my period or hormones or anything? Of course, I'll discuss it all with my ob, but sometimes "real life" experiences mean more than the clinical text book stuff.

Because of my blood clotting disorder, I can't be on the pill anymore. And seriously, I got pregnant this time ON the pill, so I don't exactly trust that as my sole birth control method anymore. LOL We are 100% sure that we are finished having children, so this seems like the natural solution though I'll admit I still want Jeff to have a vasectomy because really... you can't be too sure! LOL

Anyway, just wondered what the experience of others was like!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I had a tubal ligation after Kaylin was born. To be honest, it was the easiest part of the pregnancy, delivery, and recovery. It went soo well! The incision was a little sore for the first few days, but since you're having it as part of your c-section, you'd have that anyway. I would think that it wouldn't really add any discomfort to your recovery at all. They told me that it might have a very slight affect on my periods . . . making them maybe a little lighter. What I have noticed is that they are just a bit shorter - like 5-6 days instead of 7. But, really, not a big change at all.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I had my tubes tied. I have talked to my doctor about it afterwards because I had weight gain and really heavy painful periods after that were either not a problem before but were after and they have all assured me that those issues were not caused by the tubal. That is the bad. Which if it really is not at all related cant be a bad right?

The good...there is really no pain if you have a c-section with it. (meaning so additional surgery or additional pain) the pain depends on your pain threshhold. I was able to go shopping the day I got out of the hospital. Once my dr's ok'd me to be with my husband the spontanaeity factor was great. (no more worrying about a pill or condoms) that was a plus. The main reason I had it done was I was sure I did not want more kids. Now I am a little older I am not so sure about that choice but for the most part I do not regret it.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I had to have a section with Ella and had mine done then. I've not noticed any problems related to my tubal at all.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had mine tied in October of 2010. I had an emergency c-section and since I had already talked to my OB about having it done he said he'd do it then as long & everything went okay.

I had never had a c-section before so I can't tell you if recovery after having two surgery's (c-section & tubal) is worse then just a c-section. I was in pain for a few days but just chalked it up to having a c-section.

Since then my periods have lasted for 3 to 4 days (use to last for 7 to 8 days) and is very very very heavy. Super heavy. It was not this heavy before I had the tubal. My cramps now are also more intense but it only lasts for 3 to 4 days instead of a full week. I also only get my period every 40 to 50 days instead of every 28 days. I use to be able to know the exact day I would get it. For the first couple after having the tubal it was a guessing game. Now I get cramps the day before and I know the next day I'll have it.

I spoke to my OB and he told me that the changes can happen with a tubal but are not very common. That usually women experience lighter periods.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No personal advice as I have not had a tubal but I have had a few friends who really wish they did not have it done. They had severe hormone issues afterward as well as changes in their cycles (extreme bleeding, etc.) that their doctors attributed to the tubal. I had never really heard of such negative responses so I was a little surprised to hear the three of them discussing it and finding that they all had similar bad reactions.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't had it done either, but like Sherri have had friends who regret their tubals. Research Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't know there was a clinical term for it, Leila. Interesting. I will look that up. My doctor has suggested either a uterine ablation or a hysterectomy to me but I am holding out hope that we can have another baby so I haven't done much research in to prevention methods.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had it done when I had a c-section with the twins. I had absolutely no after-effects at all.

When I was waiting to go in for my C, my mom, dad, and MIL were sitting with me by my bed and the nurse comes waltzing in waving my papers saying "I've got your papers to sign for your tubal!!!!!" Well, I did NOT want my parents and MIL to know about it - for lots of personal reasons. So I was mortified! And the look on my mom's face. When I told my doctor about it later she said I should have reported that nurse, but I never did.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with anything...just wanted to tell the story.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had mine tied after I had Cooper.

I'll tell you that my periods are terrible now, a lot heavier, like I wear a pad and tampon. But, I'm not sure if that's due to the tubal or not being on birth control anymore.

The surgery wasn't a problem at all. I was sore for about a week and I didn't have a C-Section.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had it done right after Kyle was born. Mine was done through my belly-button and I had some tenderness in that area for a week or so but other than that my recovery was pretty easy. I do have heavier periods now, but after almost 5 years I'm still 100% happy that I had it done. We absolutely knew we were done having babies and I don't do well at all on the pill so it was an easy decision for us. If I hadn't had it done we'd probably be on about baby #5 by now and I'd need to be put in a padded room lol! I love my kids more than anything, but three is my limit
Old 02-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I had mine done after my daughter was born. I had a c-section, so I figured while they were in there they might as well do one. My periods are way heavier than before. I have to use both a pad and tampon for 2 of the 7-8 days I have it for. It also used to come every 28 days on the dot and now I get it every 25-26 days. I can't say its horrible, but definitely heavier and longer than before. Everyone is different though.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

There was no difference for me at all with regard to my cycle.

I have been pregnant 3x since (was nearly 12 years ago now since the procedure, and all 3 were in the last 4 years and all self-terminated before needing medical intervention).

I also have tenderness on both sides when I twist the wrong way. It's like the sharp pain and lingering soreness when you turn your head the wrong way and pinch your neck. I have to be careful turning over in bed that I rotate my hips with my torso.

I have no regrets though. It was 100% the right decision for us. (And I had a similar situation to Mary where it was blurted out in front of my mother-in-law before we discussed it with her. She is a tradionally thinking Mormon who was expecting a lot more grandkids.)

Last edited by krystalhartley; 02-09-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had mine done after Brody was born 2 years ago, they were in there for the c-section anyways, so it made the most sense.
Healing wasn't an issue. It did change my periods though. They are less crampy, heavier & shorter now.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

My tubal made my periods a lot heavier. My recover from a c-section or a c-section + tubal was the same. If I had it to do over I wouldn't have had the tubal, BUT we all know it ended up different for me in the end anyway. Vasectomies don't cost much money, I'd just have him get the snip and spare myself the possibility of it affecting my body were it me.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't had mine tied, but I've only heard easy peasy comments from friends/family who have. I've not heard a single complaint.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Thank you all so much for all the feedback! I now have a list of questions to ask my doctor when I see him again on Monday.