Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default Talk to me about Alabama (Gulf Coast)

So we are thinking of taking a summer trip and we wanted to get out of Florida but still go to the beach. I was reading a magazine and saw an ad in the back for the Gulf Coast-Alabama. I've never been there so I have zero knowledge of where to go exactly, where to stay, eat, play, etc.

If anyone lives there or has been there and can share some info that would be awesome. I'm researching online but I think personal experiences are so much better.

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Alabama beaches are nice...not as pretty as Florida but nice. Gulf Shores is a nice little town to stay in..and Orange Beach is just a few miles down the road from there. DH proposed to me in Gulf Shores

Old 02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes. Alabama is amazing. We go every year (and have for the past... 9 years?) We started in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach... they're nice. They comb the beaches every day, have pristine beaches, and are more affordable and less crowded than Florida.

We don't go to Gulf Shores or Orange Beach anymore. Now we stay at Dauphin Island. It's a LOT cheaper than Orange Beach. It's not as pristine (driftwood comes onto the beach, and no one goes along and clears it off or anything), and there are oil rigs off in the distance (you can see them on the horizon, but it's really not bad or gross at all- the only difference is that you can see them on the horizon, whereas at Orange Beach you just see water).

I prefer Dauphin Island because it's very small town- it's 2 miles long by 1/2 a mile wide, often times it's half the price of Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, and it's a lot less people. One year, we were the only family staying in the condo there- which meant the pool to ourselves, and very uncrowded beaches.

A lot depends on the experience you're wanting. You'll save money, most of the time, going to Alabama beaches than to Florida. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of Florida beaches (they're more crowded! And the pristine white sands in Alabama can't be beat).

I highly recommend Alabama, and would be happy to refer you to some hotspots we love- there are lots of great restaurants, museums, and more.

ETA: In Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, we like to stay at Admiral's Quarters. In Dauphin Island, we typically stay at the Beach Club. Both have been fabulous experiences.

ETA (Again): I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Like I said, we've been going for years.

New Siggy Coming Soon

Last edited by Jengerbread88; 02-28-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Sorry I just got around to check up on my post from a few days ago (work is crazy). Thanks for the ideas, I'll be checking out some places to stay and figuring out when to go.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I would suggest Orange Beach or Gulf Shores. I've actually never been to either one, but from what I've heard they're very much like our beaches here in Panama City. Have fun!

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 03-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

We have gone to Orange Beach a couple of times. We stay at Summer House. It is right on the beach and has a huge pool as well. There is also an indoor pool in case of rainy days. It's small but a nice option to have.

Overall I have enjoyed the restaurants better in Destin but it could be we haven't done enough exploring yet. There is a great place for kids called The Hangout. (it may technically be in Gulf Shores) The food is okay but the atmosphere is really great. They have games in the courtyard, and this crazy foam machine that pumps so much foam that the kids literally get lost in it - they love it. Also if you go a few miles down the road you hit the state line and there is a restaurant called Floribama that is pretty cool - very eclectic crowd.