Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Ok, so I need an opinion...

DW wants to purchase a new camera..

We know that a DSLR would be the best, but we also know that it's unlikely that we'll like carrying that around with us everywhere we go...

So what would you consider the best point and shoot option? Are we crazy to think that we won't carry the DSLR with us?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If you want something a step down from a full dslr, I'd probably look at the Canon g10. It's got a lot of the functionality of a DSLR without the bulk.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a p&s, so I'm not help there. But I can tell you that even though it took me a while to get used to carrying my dslr everywhere, now I wouldn't trade it. For me it's all about the photo editing options.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've heard that there are a lot of good p&s options, but I can't help you with that. I have a Canon Rebel T2i, and it's not bad to take everywhere. However, we just got the iPhone 4S so that we have decent pictures even when we don't have our DSLR. Now, I wouldn't trade my DSLR for anything, but maybe it's because I just have a small 50mm lens. Your kids are older so a zoom may be more practical and that's where it gets bigger and bulkier.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like my Nikon Coolpix P90. Mine has a 24x optical zoom and the camera bag fits inside my purse. I can technically take it along anywhere pretty easily.

The feature I most wanted on a camera was a zoom lens so that is why I went with a superzoom. Nikon has newer models that have an even greater zoom. At one point my sister and her husband were considering buying this camera from me. When she wanted to know what I would replace it with I told her that I would probably get the Nikon with the greater zoom.

ETA: I also have a Pentax Optio that pretty much lives in my purse if you are looking for a nice small P&S. We've gone through a couple of Pentax small p&s (one I dropped with the lens out) and the others just die when they want I guess. But I am pleased with the pics I get for such a small camera and the one I'm using now we have probably had for three to four years and it is still going (we did have to McGuyver the button for taking pics with a piece of scotch tape but it works fine).

Last edited by scrap2day; 05-12-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I carry mine lots of places, but I also think you take great pictures with whatever it is you are using. I bought a highly recommended P&S, but I was not happy with the photos I was getting, and I LOVE my dSLR. I would never go back, but I know there are lots of people who love a P&S.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aaron.......if you are anything like me......you won't carry around the big DSLR. I only use mine if I have special photos in mind (like doing portraits of my boys.....ya know....when I want to pretend I am a pro photographer. LOL). I carry my P&S everywhere with me. It is my go to camera, hands down. Of course, I have the very best one...IMO.

I got this baby.........Canon G12. It is an upper scale P&S and the photo quality is unbelievable. PLUS, it has great options where you can be more in manual mode and manipulate your photos like you would on a larger camera. And one of my favorite features is it has a flip out screen so it is SUPER easy to do self-portraits.

A great resource I found while trying to shop for these kinds of things is Test Geeks. You get professional and consumer reviews of the products. Once I get my information here then I usually go shop around prices (like at best buy, amazon, ect) and see what reviews are there. I hope this helps!

Good luck on finding the perfect camera for you!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have the older version of this Canon Powershot: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...dp_ob_title_ce
It was a couple hundred dollars less than a base model DSLR, still has lots of features, takes decent low light photos and has an amazing zoom for a P&S. Plus it's pocket size. I do miss the viewfinder that I had on my older bulkier P&S sometimes but most of the time it's really not a big deal.
I've never had a DSLR (and won't anytime in the near future more than likely) so this was a good compromise for me.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Aaron, I have a DSLR step down Cannon S10 powershot , and hate having to carry it around. I don't carry a purse, it doesn't fit in my pocket, and I just hate carrying the thing around with me.

So you're not crazy in not wanting a Dslr for everyday stuff. I hate the pics my camera takes in low light, so am also on the lookout for a good P&S that is decent in low light. I know they'll never be perfect, but I'd love something better that is easier to carry!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Canon s95. It's a p&s with an awesome f/2.0 lens -- takes really good low-light photos! You can also shoot fulling manually on it if you want, for tricky shots. The video on it is also incredible quality! Great, small camera.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When we first got the DSLR I didn't mind carrying it everywhere at all. I was in love with the pictures and that's all that mattered. I'd carry it and two lenses and switch back and forth for different shots, etc. Then I got lazy, or tired, maybe. I stopped wanting to take it places. I bought a little case that holds just the camera with no accessories. It fits comfortably across my shoulder and makes it much easier to carry the heavy thing. I bought a lens that is an 18-250mm so it has a lot of versatility. Between those two things I have no problem carrying the DSLR around again. If I had a better point and shoot I might reconsider but for now there's no question.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i don't have a p&s...just my t2i. i love my dslr but when i don't want to lug it around with me, i just use my iphone. the pics are just as good quality as my p&s would have been.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyRainbow View Post
I don't have a p&s, so I'm not help there. But I can tell you that even though it took me a while to get used to carrying my dslr everywhere, now I wouldn't trade it.
This. But, to be fair, I haven't bought a p&s in probably 10 years, so I'm sure it's a whole new world. And, I do use my iPhone to take pics almost daily.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone...I agree, I use my iPhone a lot for pictures, too. I can't seem to convince DW that it takes good pictures though. She is really interested in taking pictures (she takes most of the ones I scrap), so I want to make sure we get her a good one.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
Aaron.......if you are anything like me......you won't carry around the big DSLR. I only use mine if I have special photos in mind (like doing portraits of my boys.....ya know....when I want to pretend I am a pro photographer. LOL). I carry my P&S everywhere with me. It is my go to camera, hands down. Of course, I have the very best one...IMO.

I got this baby.........Canon G12. It is an upper scale P&S and the photo quality is unbelievable. PLUS, it has great options where you can be more in manual mode and manipulate your photos like you would on a larger camera. And one of my favorite features is it has a flip out screen so it is SUPER easy to do self-portraits.

A great resource I found while trying to shop for these kinds of things is Test Geeks. You get professional and consumer reviews of the products. Once I get my information here then I usually go shop around prices (like at best buy, amazon, ect) and see what reviews are there. I hope this helps!

Good luck on finding the perfect camera for you!

I totally second, Tara!! I love the G12... I don't carry by Rebal around anymore - honestly, I've lost my charger haha... I do have a canon powershoot that kiddo uses and sometimes that gets taken like two weekends ago at a conference when i wanted to take photos and not be noticed...
Old 05-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I wishy-washed between a really good P&S and a Rebel for a good month or two, and wound up going with the Rebel (got a good deal on a bundle at Sams). The low light situation was what finally made me go with the Rebel...we're in the age of school gym programs, dance recitals, etc...and I wanted a camera that would do well in those instances.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I had the same question a year and a half ago and I went for the DSLR. Mainly for the low light options because I was tired of grainy indoor photos. I got a Pentax K-X because it was the smallest of most of the DLSRs out there and it fit right in my hand (did I mention that it comes in purple and many other colors). I do take it most places with me. I got this built camera bag that I can also use as a purse, so it makes it easy for carrying one bag around. I also have a long camera strap so I can wear my camera crossbody. It feels lees bulky carrying that way for me.

Other than that have you considered looking at one of the micro 4/3rds cameras. My husband just got one to play with and its super tiny, but has the option of adding different lenses so you can have some zoom with your camera. He has an Olympus and loves it. Other than that I just use my iPhone or my old p&s that will fit in my pocket for on the go photos at the mall or whatnot. Hopefully this helps you some and isn't confusing!

Last edited by liriel; 05-13-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I know I'd hate carrying a dslr around with me, so whenever I've been tempted, that's what really turns me back towards a p&s! I have this right now and I'm really happy with it.

I'm always amazed when people say their iphone takes as good a photo as their p&s. I do use my iphone 4 to take pics if I get caught out and about without my camera, but the quality of the pics just don't compare to the p&s imo.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Normally I'd say G12 (I've been a long time G10 user, and been most happy with it), but this year there is some serious competition within Canon itself:

1. Canon PowerShot S100
2. Canon PowerShot G1X

1. As for the S100: I have this one. I haven't had MUCH time to play with it yet, but I can tell one thing. You cannot go wrong with it. It's superior to my old G10 even if it's a "lower" series model. Honestly, I used it twice in extremely bad-light situations and the results were AMAZING on - gasp - automatic regime! The pictures were clear, not blurred, there were details that weren't visible to my eye when I was taking the pictures. And the pictures were done without flash. My jaw did drop, because I never saw anything like it even with my old DSLR. The friends who were with me couldn't believe that such quality can be achieved in such a low light on pure automatic w/o flash. And this camera is highly portable (about half the size of a G model or even less).

2. As for the G1X, it's a totally different story. It's the next generation G series model, with huge sensor, no ISO issues (my only quibble with G10 was grain in ISO 400 and higher) and quality of picture is supposed to be better than with entry-level DSLRs. I have to mention the price corresponds to a entry-level DSLR, too. As expected. :-( It's also slightly heavier than the G12. But if price is not an issue, this the ultimate DSLR replacement IMHO.

Both of these are top quality cameras, and worth considering. Of course it depends on what budget you have. The S100 is slightly cheaper than the G12 (at least hereabouts, maybe in the US the prices are lower - mostly they tend to be), but the G1X is considerably pricier. However, I still thought it might be worth sharing this info. I'm not saying go and buy these, I just wanted to mention these two as another possibility.

And no, I'm not paid by Canon (I wish I was). :-)

Last edited by adrianka; 05-14-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone, you've given us some great choices to check out so far..