Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy
Default total booknerd

It's all KJ's fault for this one

I'm a book freak. I HAVE to read every day or I may spontaneously combust.
I read a lot of indie authors but I won't turn down a good traditionally pub'd book either.

I JUST finished up The Original Sinners series by Tiffany Reisz and omg. No series will ever compare. So complex, so good, so....dirty.

One author I will buy no matter what is JM Darhower. I worship at the throne of her stuff. She writes a lot of mafia type books. This series is my fave.

If you haven't read The Bronze Horseman...DO IT.

Another REALLY good one I read lately was Break Even by Lisa Dejong (I just like her books in general).

Some of my other favorites (as far as indie authors go) are Charles Miles (this series, GAH), Andrea Randall (this book......guts), Michelle Pace (she is sooo, sooo good. I tell her she's an author for intelligent people ), Melissa Brown (if you're into romantical stuffs), Willow Aster (this book is SO amazing)...obviously I could go on and on

What're some of YOUR faves?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwany1999 View Post
I am a booknerd also...I go to conventions to meet the authors! This past summer I went to RWA in NYC and was able to meet some of my favorite romance authors.
I love any books written by Lauren Dane, Jude Deveraux, Tillie Cole (sweet rome is great), Stefanie Laurens, and Lynn Kurland.
YESSS!! I'll be going to my 4th one in Chicago in May!

Old 03-03-2016, 08:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love to read! Love Lisa Scottoline, Lisa Gardner, Jodi Piccoult, Beverly Lewis and I like biographies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2016, 08:41 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
I love to read! Love Lisa Scottoline, Lisa Gardner, Jodi Piccoult, Beverly Lewis and I like biographies.

oooh YES Lisa Garder and Jodi Picoult!

Old 03-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, oh! The ones that got me "back" into reading many moons ago were the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I finished last night (2am is night, right? lol) the Thompson Sisters!
Have to be honest, I read your review on Goodreads and thought 'let's try'. lol
The first weren't my favorites, but the last one!!! OMG, I ended up crying, just saying.
I will try to find over here some other from your list.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love supporting indie writers too But recently I discovered just how amazing Liane Moriarty. I read What Alice Forgot, Big Little Lies and The Husband's Secret. Good stuff!
Old 03-03-2016, 09:14 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

oooh Yes!! LOVE Liane

Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love me some Indie authors, too...along with some of the well known ones.

I just finished Andrea's third Jesus Freaks book. I couldn't put it down.

The Monsters in the Dark series by Pepper Winters...love them.

Bright Side and Gus by Kim Holden...big, fat tears were brought on.

The Cranberry Inn series by Beth Ehemann...one of my faves.

I also love Jodi Picoult, the In Death books by JD Robb (love me some Roarke)...I'm sure I'll come back with more but I need more coffee first.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

One of my favorite authors is Dorothea Benton Frank. Most of her stories take place in my home state of SC, so I think that's why I'm drawn to them.

Has anyone read March by Geraldine Brooks? It's my Book Club's pick for this month, and I'll be honest. I'm not super excited about reading it. Hopefully it will pleasantly surprise me!
Old 03-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

And then there's that quandary....spend my $ on more scrap supplies or by the new release by one of my favorite authors! Ouch! Scrapping is winning lately and I'm reading low-priced kindle books!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
One of my favorite authors is Dorothea Benton Frank. Most of her stories take place in my home state of SC, so I think that's why I'm drawn to them.

Has anyone read March by Geraldine Brooks? It's my Book Club's pick for this month, and I'll be honest. I'm not super excited about reading it. Hopefully it will pleasantly surprise me!

bahaha K, I read the first sentence and said, "nope." outloud

Old 03-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ooooh my i thought i whas the only booknerd around here lol , I also read everyday currently i am reading a lot of Young adult books and yes i am 33 but i also love a good fantasy book or roman .

At the moment i am reading house of the night from p.c cast and kristin cast it is a total of 12 books and i just finished book 9 so 3 more to go ...
I also love books from Nora Roberst
And how nerdy it is i still love harry potter and twilight ooooh and rebel from julie kagawa hmmm i just read everything i think .

The one big thing i hate i read in dutch and a lot of the times i start a triologie or more and then i am in book 2 or 3 and they decided to not releasse the new books in dutch so i can not find out the glue of the book
Old 03-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I read every single day. I'm not having a great run so far this year. I've read some books I thought were pretty good but nothing great. I've also been struggling to find time to really sit and read rather than a few minutes here and there which is really frustrating.

The Bronze Horseman - I found that book sooooo frustrating! I loved part of it and HATED the rest LOL

Melanie I read quite a bit of YA stuff. I think that genre often gets a bad rap. I'm one that reads all kinds of stuff. I say whatever floats your boat, it's all good!
Old 03-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love to read but an an author snob..... 98% of the time I will only read books by James Patterson...I like an easy quick read, and his style is 'simple' compared to most. I am terrible for "judging a book by it's cover", so in order for me to want to read something else it has to have a catchy title and a cover to grab my attention.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have not been reading a lot in the last year - i just don't make the time for it which isn't good

I have read a few of kate morton's books and really like her - I have her newest book.. I just need to actually read it

I really like Kristin Hannah - again.. I have her newest and need to read it.

The thirteenth tale is one of my favourites just because of how into the book I got.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
I love to read but an an author snob..... 98% of the time I will only read books by James Patterson...I like an easy quick read, and his style is 'simple' compared to most. I am terrible for "judging a book by it's cover", so in order for me to want to read something else it has to have a catchy title and a cover to grab my attention.
I judge books by their covers. All the time. That's what they're for!
Old 03-03-2016, 12:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Booknerd over here too! I have to be careful to plan my reading time because if I pick up a book I will not put it down until it's finished and then my kids starve and the house falls apart! Lol! I also have to make sure to already have the entire series if I start the first one because I'll obsess over the rest until they're in my hands!

I most read young adult Dystopian novels but I also love Jodi Picoult, Kristin Hannah, Beth Harbison.... and probably way too many more to list!

Have you guys ever heard of paperbackswap.com? They don't always have the newest books but occasionally they do and you can wishlist the ones you want if you're patient enough to wait for them! It's an honor system where you get free credits to get started after you sign up, and with your free credit you can request someone else's book that they pay to mail to you. They then get a credit where they can request from someone else who pays to mail it to them. So at most you're paying $4 to ship a book and then you get a credit for one you want. You can also buy credits if you don't have any books to swap at the time. They do hardback (more expensive to mail though), CD's and DVD's too.

It's free to sign up and if you do, and you mention that I (PinkSprinkles over there) sent you I get a free book credit too! *hint hint* Lol!

http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php
Old 03-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I read every day unless I just can't. Then I'm a moody person. I literally read anything. At the moment though I'm reading a shifter book/romance that is really good. It's an ARC though. Then I have I think two more. I recently bought some box sets. I mean trying new authors for .99 can't beat it!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Love this thread! I read every morning. That is how I wake up. My eeader or book and a coffee, at least 20-30 minutes, no interruptions, no talking....I need that time to just get into my book and let the coffee do its thing.

I read a lot of the same authors as mentioned (Scottoline, Gardner, Piccoult, Evanovich, Moriarty, Hannah). I'm reading "The Husband's Secret" by L. Moriarty right now and am loving it. I'm about half way through it.

I also like Jayne Ann Krentz, Kate White, Chevy Stevens, Sandra Brown, Gillian Flynn, Greg Iles, Lisa Jackson and Karen Rose (mystery/thrillers).

Next on my list to read is book #2 in the Penn Cage series by G. Iles "Turning Angel".
Old 03-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

this whole thread makes my heart happy <3

KCB, YOU'RE the one who got me hooked on Kristin Hannah!

Old 03-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love to read, too. I can't start a series until the entire thing is completed so that I can read them all back to back. Thank goodness for text to speech and audiobooks, otherwise I'd never get anything done!

I've been reading mostly Indie authors lately. I'll add Mia Sheridan to the list-I've loved everything of hers that I've read. The few that I haven't read yet I ration myself on--I have to spread them out so that I can get a Mia Sheridan fix every few months. Colleen Hoover is another favorite, though she's not Indie.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
Love this thread! I read every morning. That is how I wake up. My eeader or book and a coffee, at least 20-30 minutes, no interruptions, no talking....I need that time to just get into my book and let the coffee do its thing.

I read a lot of the same authors as mentioned (Scottoline, Gardner, Piccoult, Evanovich, Moriarty, Hannah). I'm reading "The Husband's Secret" by L. Moriarty right now and am loving it. I'm about half way through it.

I also like Jayne Ann Krentz, Kate White, Chevy Stevens, Sandra Brown, Gillian Flynn, Greg Iles, Lisa Jackson and Karen Rose (mystery/thrillers).

Next on my list to read is book #2 in the Penn Cage series by G. Iles "Turning Angel".
Have you read Moriarty's Big Little Lies? I liked it even better than Husband's Secret. If you haven't you REALLY NEED TO!
Old 03-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Love books. I read all kinds of stuff, but tend toward historical fiction or a good whodunnit.

Kendall, I read March years ago and remember very little of it, but apparently I liked it enough to give it 4 stars. I'll cut and paste my Goodreads review here for you.

From April, 2009: In March, Geraldine Brooks tells the story of the absent father in Little Women. She draws much of her inspiration for the character of Peter March from the journals of Louisa May Alcott's father, Bronson Alcott and several other primary sources. It's worth reading the Afterward to get a glimpse at all the research she did for the book.

The is the first I've read from this author and I really enjoyed her writing style. I was fascinated throughout all of March's Civil War experiences. But by the end of the book I was a little tired of March's constant introspection and viewing the world on some sort of ethereal plain of absolute good and evil. It seemed to me with all he faced throughout the book his thinking would have evolved a bit more. Fortunately there are other characters to bring him back to reality.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Valerie - I haven't read that one yet but I want to. Aside from The Husband's Secret I have read The Anniversary and What Alice Forgot. Her writing style is so fluid and I can just keep reading and reading, not wanting to put the book down.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like James Patterson, too. And John Grisham. I even read an occasional Nicolas Sparks, though I really have to be in the mood to read them, they're always sad.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You made my day Laura

I just love all of the book suggestions!!! I'm writing them all down!

I just finished The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up and Started Landline by Robin Lowell. I'm so excited to start this book - I loved her!

Now...Everyone on this thread is GROUNDED for not posing in the Book thread. Twice a month everyone posts what they've finished reading and what they've started.

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...play.php?f=156
Old 03-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
You made my day Laura

I just love all of the book suggestions!!! I'm writing them all down!

I just finished The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up and Started Landline by Robin Lowell. I'm so excited to start this book - I loved her!

Now...Everyone on this thread is GROUNDED for not posing in the Book thread. Twice a month everyone posts what they've finished reading and what they've started.

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...play.php?f=156

how did I not know this existed?

Old 03-03-2016, 11:43 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have to add my favourite author to the list. Louise Penny is so good. She writes detective murder mysteries that are what I would call intellectual. It is a sift though characters personalities and dark places to track down the usually very unexpected killers. I read a lot and these top the list for the past couple of years.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
how did I not know this existed?

You're joking, right?
Old 03-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
You're joking, right?

I knew the forum existed, but not the thread. I'm sorta dense.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Cato View Post
Love books. I read all kinds of stuff, but tend toward historical fiction or a good whodunnit.

Kendall, I read March years ago and remember very little of it, but apparently I liked it enough to give it 4 stars. I'll cut and paste my Goodreads review here for you.

From April, 2009: In March, Geraldine Brooks tells the story of the absent father in Little Women. She draws much of her inspiration for the character of Peter March from the journals of Louisa May Alcott's father, Bronson Alcott and several other primary sources. It's worth reading the Afterward to get a glimpse at all the research she did for the book.

The is the first I've read from this author and I really enjoyed her writing style. I was fascinated throughout all of March's Civil War experiences. But by the end of the book I was a little tired of March's constant introspection and viewing the world on some sort of ethereal plain of absolute good and evil. It seemed to me with all he faced throughout the book his thinking would have evolved a bit more. Fortunately there are other characters to bring him back to reality.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing, Misty! You've given me hope.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't been grounded in a long time... Guess I better head to that thread here and there too!
Old 03-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I knew the forum existed, but not the thread. I'm sorta dense.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post

I know. I know.
total failure

Old 03-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get the best book ideas from those threads!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Willow Aster (this book is SO amazing)...

READ.IT! it is all I can say! lol
thanks again, Laura! ♥
Old 03-12-2016, 05:33 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I read a lot. One of my dreams over the years was to have a library in my home. Just a big room for books with comfy seats to sit in and read. It has never happened...but we do have a ton of books! I love Mary Higgins Clark mysteries. And Beverly Lewis novels. Lauraine Snelling.