Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Where do you get portraits done??

My girls turn 3 this month(EEEEK!!) and I got a kick butt coupon in my email for JC Penny studios, but there isn't one around here within 50 miles, ugh. So I've been looking at what's around here and I really like the Picture People, but they look a little more expensive than what I was wanting-well, I can't find any package deals on their site anyways, and I'm not paying 18.00$ a sheet(even tho their stuff looks awesome). We haven't had their pics done since 2005 Christmas when they were 4 months old I'm slacking here lol. But I take pics daily and while I'm no photographer, I've managed to pop out quite a few frameworty pics.
But I want something nice this year to pass out to family and frame on the wall. We had Wal-Mart do the christmas ones and their first ones at 6 weeks old. I think there's a studio around here, but I was wondering what other options I have... So where do you gals get your kids' portraits done at??
Old 08-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

targets photo studios are the same company as jc penny.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've used
JC Penny's (I've settled for them, they're cheap and do an ok job, I think it might just be the photographers I've had, but not very creative with tiny babies, just FYI)
Sears (hated)
Kiddie Kandids (My MOST Favorite, but we don't have them in Alaska)
Picture People (second favorite, but we don't have them in Alaska)
Old 08-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

www.portraitinnovations.com

Old 08-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ooo, never realized Target has a portrait studio - and there's one near us, I'll have to go in and check them out, I couldn't find much about it on their site.

There aren't any Kiddie Kandids in Georgia either... Vanessa, why did you hate Sears, if you don't mind me asking, was it the photo quality?? selection, or people? lol, there is one of those near us too.

Thanks for these suggestions girls, I was totally blanking on how to find studios and since I haven't done them in forever, I've no clue who is good to use!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Brie, where are you at in GA?

Last edited by digideb; 08-08-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we use penny's (so I'm no help!) but it's really hit or miss. You have to have a good photographer. I'm hoping to learn how to use my DSLR good enough to do my own pictures in the future
Old 08-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I also am not a fan of sears....
Their props are over used, often dirty/worn, and the quality of photographer isn't all that great.
JC Pennys is kind of my base for everyone else
The Picture People are at least interactive with small kids - and if you request an odd size photo (say 4x5s) they will sign a release for that session

For this reason - you might want to get in with a private professional photog. So that a release form can at least be purchased (or you can work out a deal with them that they can use your kids photos in advertising if you can use the photos to reprint at your own lab)

Fan of:

Old 08-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm in the Augusta area, and only about 10 mins from South Carolina... There's a Portrait Innovations in SC about an hour and a half away, and they look nice too, but I don't think dh would go for that kind of drive...
Old 08-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbrie View Post
I'm in the Augusta area, and only about 10 mins from South Carolina... There's a Portrait Innovations in SC about an hour and a half away, and they look nice too, but I don't think dh would go for that kind of drive...

oh... but they ROCK. their packages are $9.95.. and they take as many pics as your kids will sit still for.. you can change clothes.. they play with the kids and then you get to pick which picture is your package.. unlike Target/Walmart where the first pic they take is your package and if they get a better one later, too bad for you. I adore PI and that's the only place I take the kids now. Also.. you get your pictures in an hour, instead of like 2 weeks later.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

We've used Penneys (loved it until the photographer we liked quit)...Walmart (get what you pay for in my experience)...Picture People (nice, but PRICEY)...and Portrait Innovations. PI is by far my favorite. They spend alot of time with Rachel, and take about 75 photos in each session.
Their 10.00 package is very large, a very good deal, especially at Christmastime. Keep in mind that if you purchase 3 'packages' (3 poses...I think 3 sheets of each), you get a free CD of all of the images.
Another plus...their pics are ready in about 15 minutes, so you don't have to wait weeks to get your photos.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Can you purchase more than one package at PI?? When we got the girls' done at WM, they were going to charge us sheet price for any additional pics, the girl told me we couldn't get an additional package deal for any other pics she'd taken... That sounds like a cool place! How are they so cheap? I saw they have the good 10.00 package deal, is there a sitting/session fee?
LOL, this place is sounding better and better, and dh is taking some more leave time, so maybe he'd be up to it...
Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Where do you live?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Okay. I live in the Macon area. I was gonna say if you lived closer, we could meet & I could do them for you! I'm working on building up my portfolio to start my business! But, that'd be a further drive for you than to SC! lol
Old 08-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie4b1g View Post
Where do you live?
Fort Gordon actually, right by Augusta.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I definitely wouldn't recommend JCPenny. It's a case of you get much less than you pay for. We've done it there a few times, and I've given up hoping that the next experience will be better. I'd go with someone pro or semi-pro, like Deb. We did that at Christmas, and it was SO worth it. Are there any universities in the area? There are probably photography students who would love to build their portfolio and would give you a great deal. If you're wanting something really stunning, you're definitely going to have to look beyond your big box photo studios.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I took my son to Kiddie Kandids for all of his milestones pictures. When he turned 1 though I used a photographer who was a friend of a friend... they turned out amazing! I'm in AZ though so that doesn't help you...
Old 08-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I guess Ohio is too far to drive.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We typically do Penney's...I've been mostly happy with their portraits - it really depends on the person taking them. I definitely don't recommend Sears - we hated them!!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do my own now, but before that I used Picture People. They are a bit more pricey, but I'm always impatient and love that they had the photos ready within an hour!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I used to work for Picture People, back when they were Expressly Portraits... YEARS ago! I can tell you that MOST of the photographers in ANY of the mall-type studios have zero training. The lighting is all static and they have training manuals for you to follow for each portrait situation. I had set poses I had to take for each shoot. It was awful! I have a FABULOUS photographer here in Utah... Sorry thate doesn't help you much. I also know quite a few gals in Northern Florida who do amazing work. Good luck finding someone! I don't do studio portraits anymore. I would much rather have great candid shots or professional candids.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2aria06

I'm doing my own now too but the only time we went and got AL's pics taken was last year at Sears. I wasn't too happy with them- spent WAY too much money and their backdrops and props weren't all that great.

Brie- I CAN'T believe the girlies are turning 3!! Say it isn't so! :sigh: Getting so big! What are you going to do for their big day?!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie4b1g View Post
I guess Ohio is too far to drive.
LOL, that's funny, I'm from Ohio, and we're going to be moving home soon, probably Oct or Nov!!

Anna, I know - 3!! lol, sneaks up on you quicker than you think! We won't be having a huge party, since it's just us 4 and we haven't got to know anybody, or any kids their age well enough to invite. Right now Spongebob really does it for them, but the thought of a spongebob cake for my princesses makes me cringe BUT it's what they looooooooove right now. So we'll find something special to do for them, even if it's just a charachter cake and going all out decorating the house for them(omg, they love balloons! lol) I haven't even thought of gifts yet!

So I think I'm definately gonna look more into the Portrait Innovations. I already told dh a little about them, just not how far away they are yet. We'll see, I'll keep bringing it up for a few days and then maybe once he's used to the idea of the drive won't be so bad...omg, does that seem sneaky??
Old 08-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ohhh where in Ohio?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I liked Olan Mills. We went to Target and the lady was a total wench and I believe she pretty much rushed us through. When it came time to order the photos she didnt bother to explain anything to me because she was to busy with other customers to take care of us and then they only had pick-up times when my husband was at work. I had to find a way in to pick it up and was then explained that the reason why they do it that way is so they can offer a "special package" I had already ordered about 150 dollars worth so I didnt need anymore. Sears I dealt with when my kids were really young and Ive looked at Picture People but they kinda are a little to restrictive for my tastes and a little to expensive. Overall I had the best experience with Olan Mills
Old 08-08-2008, 07:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The photographer didn't know what she was doing, they had very little props, the ones they had were old and crusty looking. LOL!

I didn't like the quality of the photos once they were printed.

Maybe it's just our Sears, my best friend in Florida only uses Sears for her photos. If you try them, just be sure to use the coupon, so if you're not happy, you're not out too much money.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Fort Gordon actually, right by Augusta.

Are you in the Army or the your hubby?

Fort Gordon is one of the few places stateside that I can get stationed.

I know some girls that are fairly close to you that do photography. I'll send you a PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You can only get one 10.00 package, but you can add that onto the regular priced packages. I think the last time we went, I bought 3 poses...that was 3 or 4 sheets of each portrait I wanted. They bring up each pose on a large screen wall monitor, and they will zoom in, crop, etc to your specifications.
I ended up with the 3 poses and an additional 10x13 multi photo (with 3 pics faded onto the background, kwim?)...it cost about 75 bucks total, but was totally worth it, especially to the get CD (you have to buy at least 3 poses to get the CD).
I've never had a bad experience with them, and since they take SO many shots and 'photoshop' with you right there...you can really put your 2 cents in.

Quote:
Can you purchase more than one package at PI?? When we got the girls' done at WM, they were going to charge us sheet price for any additional pics, the girl told me we couldn't get an additional package deal for any other pics she'd taken... That sounds like a cool place! How are they so cheap? I saw they have the good 10.00 package deal, is there a sitting/session fee?
LOL, this place is sounding better and better, and dh is taking some more leave time, so maybe he'd be up to it...
Old 08-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Angie, we're from Shelby. It's about halfway between Cleveland and Columbus. Smaaaaaaaall town, lol.

Vanessa, got your pm, checking them out too!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am just popping in to say I would totally recommend Portrait Innovations. I can't believe the huge difference comparing them to Target and JCPenney (I used to go to Target all the time). SOOO much better. I would say it is worth the drive, AND it only takes 20 minutes after you pick out your photos to have them printed.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I used to work for Penneys, would go back in a second if they paid enough to pay for a sitter. So I take my son to my old boss. I also go to a local photographer to get some for just myself since private are a lot more money.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We usually get ours done at Wal Mart, 'cause that's whats available. There are a few professional photographers around but the price jump is just too much for us. They do some beautiful work & if I could afford it I would go with them in a heartbeat. We've driven an hour to Sears a few times but for what we got, we might as well save the gas & go to Wal Mart. I see there is a Portrait Innovations about an hour away, but it's in the middle of a traffic jam that started in the late 1980's and shows no signs of abating. We might have to brave the traffic for holiday photos though, just to give it a try. we've been very unhappy with the staff at WM lately.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
but it's in the middle of a traffic jam that started in the late 1980's and shows no signs of abating.

I don't know where you live, but sounds alot like Houston LOL...and the Houston location is DEFINITELY in a PITB traffic area!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've had good experiences at our Sears, but I've only had pictures taken there a couple of times. 3 months, 6 months, and 3 yrs for my oldest son (yep, quite a gap there ... the last session was one where they snagged me with a free session and free 8x10 to basically let her practice on my kids ... got a picture of my daughter too).

I recently checked out the professional photographer's sites, but I can't afford their printing. If I could have them take the pictures and ME get them printed, I could do it ... but I just can't afford to spend $40 for an 8x10, kwim?

Anyway ... good luck!
Old 08-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had family "portraits" done in December by a girl who's graduating in photography this year. We got a 1 hour session, 100s of shots, all the negatives, and a release for $150. Fabulous deal. And they look AMAZING. I wanted a more relaxed candid feel, and she totally delivered. We're going to have her do baby pictures when we go back to Utah in December. So if anyone in Utah is looking for an amazing photographer, let me know!

Here's some of the work she did:

Last edited by cheltzey; 08-09-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

If I were you, I'd save up money and go to a professional photographer. They are just so much better!

We've used Penney's and Sears when I needed quick shots to order in high quantity for family members, but I'm never going to them again for family pictures or for anything that I want as a keepsake! Portrait Innovations was MUCH better than Penney's or Sears, though.