Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-14-2018, 10:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default ipad or ipad pro?

I've been wanting to upgrade my ipad mini to something that works with the pencil. I want to learn how to do fancy handwriting and perhaps some other crafty projects. Wondering what everyone uses these days and if you've tried both kinds, which did you like better?
For the designers: do you design on ipads? Pro or normal?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We bought my middle an ipad Pro and she LOVES it!! She draws using Procreate (a must have app). I'm trying to expand her brush selection, but they don't ever seem to go on sale. If I were to do it again, I'd totally invest in a Pro.

She has the 10.5 screen, in silver and 256gb of space, with just wifi--no cellular on it.

**I should mention that my daughter wants to go to DigiPen, which is a technology school. So she isn't some spoiled (okay I'm sure she's spoiled) brat who just plays on her ipad day in and day out. She uses her ipad to draw and learn how to better her drawing. You've seen her art in my gallery as I try to scrap her growth/progress every couple of months**
Old 07-14-2018, 01:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
We bought my middle an ipad Pro and she LOVES it!! She draws using Procreate (a must have app). I'm trying to expand her brush selection, but they don't ever seem to go on sale. If I were to do it again, I'd totally invest in a Pro.

She has the 10.5 screen, in silver and 256gb of space, with just wifi--no cellular on it.

**I should mention that my daughter wants to go to DigiPen, which is a technology school. So she isn't some spoiled (okay I'm sure she's spoiled) brat who just plays on her ipad day in and day out. She uses her ipad to draw and learn how to better her drawing. You've seen her art in my gallery as I try to scrap her growth/progress every couple of months**
No judging here, my kids have taken over my ipad mini for games and netflix. I now want a slightly larger one with the pencil for me and only me to doodle, practice hand lettering and to use on vacations instead of lugging my macbook pro along. I was thinking the ipad pro at first, but then the cheaper 2018 version of the ipad is now also working with the pencil so I'm uncertain if the extra cost is worth it to get the pro.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have the ipad pro and love it.

I haven't read much about the ipad education version that works with the pencil - it sounds pretty close I know there was a review with someone who does lettering who bought the new one to try out i'll try and look for that and come back with a link
Old 07-15-2018, 01:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I have the ipad pro and love it.

I haven't read much about the ipad education version that works with the pencil - it sounds pretty close I know there was a review with someone who does lettering who bought the new one to try out i'll try and look for that and come back with a link
Do you find it replaces the need for a computer or mac? Or is it just an addition and could be without? I'm trying to justify buying one when I already have a fairly new (3 years old) macbook pro. I also have the ipad mini, but it doesn't offer much creative functions, it's small and the kids hog it all the time. It's great for travelling, but it can't do what I want it too (as in write or draw on it).
Old 07-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

It wouldn't replace my mac for sure. I still do the majority of designing and work on my mac. I use my ipad for drawing and doing things like that but I don't like doing a lot on it. I have the program for scrapping but I find it way too cumbersome to use.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
It wouldn't replace my mac for sure. I still do the majority of designing and work on my mac. I use my ipad for drawing and doing things like that but I don't like doing a lot on it. I have the program for scrapping but I find it way too cumbersome to use.
What size did you choose?
Old 07-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineF View Post
Do you find it replaces the need for a computer or mac? Or is it just an addition and could be without? I'm trying to justify buying one when I already have a fairly new (3 years old) macbook pro. I also have the ipad mini, but it doesn't offer much creative functions, it's small and the kids hog it all the time. It's great for travelling, but it can't do what I want it too (as in write or draw on it).
My daughter is saving up her money to buy a computer/laptop because she's struggling to make animations on her ipad. She wants something that has a touch screen, so it will work like her ipad. Although she's asking if there's a possibility of transferring what she's doing on her ipad to a computer. When she's ready and has saved enough money for a (probably) laptop, I'll look in to mirroring her ipad to the computer/laptop, if it's something she can even do!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

If you will get an ipad, go for the pro, because if you decide you wanted to play on the procreate or the adobe apps and you will need the apple pencil, you can use the apple pencil on the pro. It's really fancy because you can not only make swirly letterings but you can also draw and make them something super artsy. And then if you decided you wanted to go for a bigger ipad pro in the near future, you can hand down yours to your future graphic astist in the family. The real question now is, what size of ipad pro should you get
Old 07-17-2018, 03:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrygutz View Post
If you will get an ipad, go for the pro, because if you decide you wanted to play on the procreate or the adobe apps and you will need the apple pencil, you can use the apple pencil on the pro. It's really fancy because you can not only make swirly letterings but you can also draw and make them something super artsy. And then if you decided you wanted to go for a bigger ipad pro in the near future, you can hand down yours to your future graphic astist in the family. The real question now is, what size of ipad pro should you get
That is indeed the question Smaller for ease of transportation and practicallity or larger for design purposes and better space. Then the issue of storage space comes up. I recently sold one of my unicorn planners so I have a teeny bit of funds, but still need to flesh out a large amount to get the pro.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

There is a cheaper model now that works with the pencil, the education version. I'm not sure what all is available in norway though

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/...encil-support/
Old 07-26-2018, 02:19 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have the 10.5 ipad pro. sometimes I wish I would have gotten the 12.9, but then I feel like it would be easier to drop the bigger one. I kindof clumsy ;0