Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-07-2019, 08:51 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default iPhone Upgrades

As I'm looking towards Christmas... My oldest really wants an iPhone upgrade and since I'm not especially tech-savvy, I thought I'd make some inquiries. I would greatly appreciate input. He currently has an iPhone 6s+ ... I've had an 8s+ for a couple of years and am still quite happy with it. The prices for the 8s & the 10s are so close and wasn't sure if it truly matters or not. Any thoughts? suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-07-2019, 09:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Probably not what you are looking for with an answer but we are changing our carrier this weekend when my husband gets home. We will be doing a lateral swap of our current 8 with a new 8, just because we like them. When I worked with Apple, there were a lot of issues with the 10 as far as the facial recognition, learning the no edges, etc that I don't want to deal with that (for myself or figuring it out with the kiddos). So we're sticking with the 8 because we already know it! Plus with ATT, the 8's are currently free and I'm all about that instead of paying thousands of dollars for four new phones! And we can keep our cases for our 8's so no extra purchases there!

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 10-07-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

found this article as well that might help you compare both the 8 and the 10

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#7331a31510af
Old 10-07-2019, 09:17 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'll have to ask my hubby - he is vice-chair of our local Mac User Group and keeps up on all things Apple. We currently have 8+, but are upgrading to 11MaxPro (I want the better camera) this month (Dave's new phone is being delivered today)... we got Jake a used 7 in May and I'm assuming Dave's plan is that when we upgrade the next time, Jake will get one of our 11's... in 2 to 3 years.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My niece (19 y.o.) hated the facial recognition on her iPhone x and went back to an 8.

I'm still using my 6, lol!
Old 10-09-2019, 10:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm of no help as I still have my 8 and my son is still using his 7+ (he's responsible for the bill now so upgrading is not high on the list anymore, lol). He likes his 7+. I may stick with the 8 but go with the + just for portrait mode, so jealous of those with it.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memaw2Wm View Post
My niece (19 y.o.) hated the facial recognition on her iPhone x and went back to an 8.

I'm still using my 6, lol!
my son is having this issue with the windows tablet that we got. He stands right in front of it, but it never recognizes him. He gets so frustrated with it.

It is a good concept, but hard to move/transition towards if you aren't used to it.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not an Apple person (I love my Google Pixel), but my mom is looking at getting the iphone 11pro something. LOL!
Old 10-09-2019, 01:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I'm not an Apple person (I love my Google Pixel), but my mom is looking at getting the iphone 11pro something. LOL!
I gave my mom my iPhone 6 and she thinks she's all tekky now, it's cute. I have made a few trips over to show her things that she insists I didn't tell her before. I know better than to argue with a little 79 year old English lady, so I just do it
Old 10-09-2019, 03:16 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My daughter just got an iphone 11. She was trying to decide between the iphone 10 or 11. The better camera (with the night mode for pictures) plus the longer product life (since it is currently the newest model) sold her on the 11 vs the 10. It was a $100 difference. She took really good care of her iphone 6 she is replacing and it had 4 years of life, so she is hoping to get the same type of life out of this one.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my, I'm still on a 5, but supposedly Verizon isn't going to support the 3G phones any more, so I might have to upgrade against my will. lol Good luck with your decision!
Old 10-09-2019, 08:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got a 10 this summer after my phone jumped in the lake. I like it. The screen is definitely better. I wish I could have waited for the 11 since we were spending so much money and it was so close to the new release. I'm all about the best camera since that's how I take photos.
For a kid, I'd be thinking more about how long it's going to last. A newer phone will be compatible with apps longer.
They are so expensive, not easy decisions! We make our kids buy their own phones!
Old 10-09-2019, 09:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For a kiddo, I would go for an 8 or the 10. Our boys each have an 8. They won't get new ones until next year.

Hubby and I HAD a 10xs and 10xs max. We upgraded a few weeks ago and both got the 11 Pro Max this time because we wanted the better camera.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:30 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I have an X and Lan has the 7. He just bought it this year and decided on the 7 because he doesn't like how 8 is too big for his pocket.
My X is quite good with the camera and facial recognition. I am quite happy with it, actually. For a kid, I won't get anything too fancy or too new, really, since it's so expensive!
Good luck, Loni!
Old 10-10-2019, 12:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
I gave my mom my iPhone 6 and she thinks she's all tekky now, it's cute. I have made a few trips over to show her things that she insists I didn't tell her before. I know better than to argue with a little 79 year old English lady, so I just do it
That's so funny, Jaye!! My mom is 71. She does basic things on her iPhone, but
I have to explain anything technical for her 😂