Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Let's Talk About File Size

I've been unsuccessfully trying to upload my layouts to Persnickety Prints, and I finally noticed that the error message says my files are too big. I don't know what PP's limit is, but when I went to check out my layouts, I did notice that while most of them save between 3-5 MB, some of them were over 10 MB. In fact, this very simple layout without lots of papers or elements is 16 MB, and even if I set the quality to 8 (normally I do 10), it's still 13.9!! Any ideas what's causing that or what I can do to lower the size of the file for printing?

Old 05-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

There is something going on in photoshop where there are "ancestors" being saved into the files (this is all jibberish to me) what i DO know is that someone is making a script out there to get file sizes smaller for kits. I have been able to test it out and my papers are shrinking in file size so perhaps once those are smaller layouts will then be smaller too?
Old 05-05-2019, 08:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I normally do about 8-10mb when I upload to Persnickety.
I've had a couple of times where it wouldn't upload files & it wasn't the file size, there was some issue where I had to take the LO through PaintShop and save it there. They never explained why, but every time I did it, it worked.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my goodness, I haven't even checked the size of my saved jpg layouts. That worries me now because it's been quite some years since I uploaded a layout to a printing company!

Old 05-05-2019, 09:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I always save layouts at the highest quality. Looks like most of mine are 8-13 MB with the majority being 8-10 MB. I wonder if what Kristin is talking about is causing your problem. I use an older version of PS, so my file sizes seem like they're still the same as they always have been. I agree that having a layout be 13 MB at 8 is crazy! My biggest ones are 13 MB at 12!
Old 05-05-2019, 09:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I always save layouts at the highest quality. Looks like most of mine are 8-13 MB with the majority being 8-10 MB. I wonder if what Kristin is talking about is causing your problem. I use an older version of PS, so my file sizes seem like they're still the same as they always have been. I agree that having a layout be 13 MB at 8 is crazy! My biggest ones are 13 MB at 12!
people have noticed that the older versions of PS aren't saving files as big.. it's crazy!
Old 05-06-2019, 01:47 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just checked my folder of saved 12x12 JPGs from this year and most of mine are in the 3-8MB range. I have a few bigger ones in the 10-14MB range (they are all using Kristin's kits). I'm using PSCC 2018 (I'm too scared to upgrade, lol).
Old 05-06-2019, 09:26 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I feel bad I wasn't aware that this was what was causing filesizes to be big until doing some further research. I was able to get kelly's pages way down so if anyone has problems with their layouts and my kits just message me and I will help you out <3
Old 05-06-2019, 12:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I feel bad I wasn't aware that this was what was causing filesizes to be big until doing some further research. I was able to get kelly's pages way down so if anyone has problems with their layouts and my kits just message me and I will help you out <3
There is no apparent rhyme or reason to my pages that have big JPG file sizes when I look at them (it's only 3-4 pages) - the corresponding TIFFs are in my "normal" range of 100-250MB. I have lots of other pages with your products that are much smaller. The slightly bigger file sizes haven't impacted me in any way
Old 05-06-2019, 06:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well, Kristin saved the day! She got my files down small enough for me to get them printed during Persnickety's sale, and that makes me happy. : )