Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Photo Treatments-LR presets, photoshop actions, what do you all use?

I'm currently trying to learn to use Lightroom for my photo treatments. I like that you can do mass edits quickly in Lightroom, but I'm still trying to figure it all out. I use Elements 10 so actions are a little more difficult for me to use. I have CS4 on my computer and do use it some for photo editing, but it's a pain just to open it to run an action on a photo. Anyhoo, just wondering if some of you use Lightroom presets, or do you prefer PS actions? If you use LR do you just use the presets that come with it, or do you use others that you've purchased? I've heard quite a bit about the Totally Rad Lighroom presets and am considering buying those. Just wanted to get your feedback and see what you ladies like to use?
Nikki and Brooke are two ladies who always seem to use cool treatments on their photos:
Here's one by Nikki:

And one by Brooke

Please chime in and let me know what you all like to use on your photos! Thanks!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've tried out all kinds of actions and presets...My Fours Hens, Totally Rad Actions RadLab, Paint The Moon and tons of others and have loved them but since I switched to shooting in RAW and processing my images in ACR in CS5 I have found that I absolutely love the ACR presets from Clickin' Moms! They also have the same sets available for Lightroom as well. They are a bit pricey but well worth it and if you watch their FB page and newsletters you can catch them on sale sometimes. I have their Essentials Presets and Film Art presets and they are all I use pretty much on every photo! I think pretty much every photo on my photography blog & FB since March has been processed using those two sets. I also have the Paparazzi set and Leah Cook's CM exclusive action set on my wishlist.

http://www.clickinmoms.com/store/pro...s-and-presets/
Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I love tweaking with my photos! On that layout I used an action I made based on what i learned from a tutorial on youtube for making photos look vintage. I have photoshop cs6 and just do my photo treatments there one at a time, right before I plop them on the page... I don't do them in batches or anything like that.

If you're interested in learning about creating your own actions and photo treatments, definitely do a search on YouTube. There's tons of great tutorials there!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My favorite action designer no longer does actions. lol For presets I really like The Edits - don't think I can link them here. (I use Lightroom and CS3)

However... my absolute favorite thing is to break down actions/presets learn what settings create what effects and then just going in and doing my own editing so I can get it 100% the way that I want it. Even when I do use the action/preset I do a lot of tweaking.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use lightroom..so all of my editing is done with presets. I have TONS of them but usually use the same 2-3 on my photos lol. The one I used for the photos in that layout is "pretty girl" from http://www.lightroompresets.com/. I bought that set a while ago though and Iooked through their site and it looks like it may have been retired.

I also love these freebies from Willette http://willettedesigns.com/?p=3795

Old 09-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been trying to embrace Lightroom this year, but I don't love any presets I've found so far. I bought all the My 4 Hens one a couple months ago when she was having a super sale and they are totally not my style at all. My favorite ones so far are from Clickin Moms. I have both sets and I really like them on basic everyday, but they are a little too muted for my portrait pictures.

So far, I do basic edits in Lightroom (white balance, up the backs, sharpen maybe) and then export to photoshop where I use my trust old Florabella actions. I have all hers except the last two and I just ADORE them... especially Luxe and Luxe II. I'm sure the new ones are great, too I just don't need anymore so I've resisted buying.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

One thing to remember in Lightroom is that very rarely can you use a preset without tweaking it a little because all photos are different kwim? I usually add a preset and then play with it until it looks like I want it to. But they are great starting points.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
One thing to remember in Lightroom is that very rarely can you use a preset without tweaking it a little because all photos are different kwim? I usually add a preset and then play with it until it looks like I want it to. But they are great starting points.
^what she said

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 09-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I guess I'm kind of looking for two different things. One being that I take tons of photos that don't ever make it to scrapbook pages and I'd like to find a basic preset to just give them a bit of a boost so that they are a bit more vibrant. I don't want to spend much time editing those photos but I would like them to look a bit more lively than they do now. And the second thing would be finding some great presets that I can use on the photos that I want to spend a bit more time on, so I do appreciate all the suggestions. Any other tips or suggestions would be great. Thanks so much ladies.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am totally obsessed with RadLab. It's expensive but it has an endless combination of so "actions" and styles built into it.

http://www.gettotallyrad.com/radlab/