Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Laptop [Back to School] Promotion

Did anyone see the laptop special (while supplies last) at Walmart that started today?

HERE IT IS!!

Now, for those of you who are knowledgeable about computers (unlike me)...is this a good laptop? I've heard so much about this price but was wondering if it was really worth it.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As far as specs go, yep, it's a good one. I dunno if many have had problems with Compaq before though.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'd be interested in knowing too

Old 07-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

We had a Compaq that still works, it is 8 years old. Of course, we don't use it now, it's slow as molasses. It was a PC not a laptop though!
Old 07-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

We have had 2 Compaq desktops. The first one we bought in 2000 and my Dad is still using it...grant it it's a dinosaure because it's slow and old...but he is 75 years old and it's perfect for him and his needs!!

I'm on our second Compaq now and it's 4 years old and still running strong....yes we have made updates to it but only RAM and and an additional internal HD.....everything else on it is the original and it runs GREAT!!

I also have a Compaq laptop that is 3 years old....again it runs great but off course it's out of date and we haven't made any updates to it. I use it mainly at night in the living room or bedroom to surf the internet while DH watched TV or he is on his laptop!!

I'd snatch that laptop up in a NEW YORK minute....infact as soon as I hit the submit button I'm showing htis link to DH!!! I need a new one that I can actually scrap on and the kids can have my old one!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would SO buy this...and I even had one in my cart, but the only reason I would need one right now is for my sister in law, and I want it to have a built in webcam so I can talk to my niece and nephew. Their computer died earlier this year, and she can't afford a new one. I think I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a fabulous deal like this that has a webcam built in it. Not worth it to buy this and then spend $100 on a good webcam...kwim?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yeah..that's nice. I use a Compaq I like it fine!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is a great deal, as far as specs and price go! If we had the $$ right now I'd definitely buy one for DH, his Dell laptop is slower than slow and only has 512MB of RAM & an 80GB hard drive so that would be great for him since all he does on it is load all his music to his iPod and checks his sports websites. And I believe Compaq is basically the same as HP, or at least I'm pretty sure that is what my computer tech brother-in-law told me.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned

profile gallery

My dh just bought it for me!!! He had one for his work computer and loved it. Hates the one he has now-it's different! Wish me luck. It's my Christmas present a few months early!!!
Old 07-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Can Photoshop run smoothly on it, ya think? I think I may get one!!
Old 07-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, definitely
Old 07-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

WOOHOO, that's awesome!! Thanks! We could use a laptop in this house!!
Old 07-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Is it worth buying the 2 year warranty?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How much is it and what does the warranty cover? Is it 2 years beyond the normal 1 year manufacturers warranty?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I decided that for this price, I'd go ahead and get it, and then I just ordered her a $30 webcam to go with it. Hopefully it works well enough! Now...she'll have no excuse not to learn how to digital scrap!! I have a PSE6 that is brand new, so I'll bring that along with it when I go up to visit! She'll be surprised!!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Aww, that's so nice of you, Debra! I am sure she is gonna be so happy and grateful.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

wow that is fricking awesome!! Wish I had a sister-in-law like you I bet she is gonna be beyond thrilled!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4noisyboys View Post
I decided that for this price, I'd go ahead and get it, and then I just ordered her a $30 webcam to go with it. Hopefully it works well enough! Now...she'll have no excuse not to learn how to digital scrap!! I have a PSE6 that is brand new, so I'll bring that along with it when I go up to visit! She'll be surprised!!

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The warranty is 2 years that starts after the manufact. 1 year warranty. It is 60 dollars.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
SO SO nice of you!!! I think she will LOVE it!!!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I forgot to mention that I am actually replying from it right now! I just got done hooking everything up! Just have to get all my firefox add-ons and save some of my favorites on the toolbars!

I didn't get the warranty [yet], wasn't sure if it is worth it or not. I have 15 days to get it though. They said you can try the laptop out and make sure you like it and if not just bring it back, etc. But, um, so far, I'm loving it!!! We bought a laptop not too too long ago but it is my husbands :P It is a super nice HP laptop that I got for a steal because of a price mistake. So I'm happy that I can now have my own lappy!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
wow that is fricking awesome!! Wish I had a sister-in-law like you I bet she is gonna be beyond thrilled!!
My brother is a druggie and left her with two kids...I do all I can to make sure she and the kids know that I am there for them. The webcam is so I can skype with my niece and nephew. I'm doing that with my other ones that live back east, and it's wonderful to see them, have them tell me all that's going on...how their swim meets went, etc...

I'm just excited that I was able to get her one (because we can't even email now) and at this price! I've actually been looking for a month or so!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I chose to have mine mailed to me...I wonder if I can still get the warranty. I looked for it online and couldn't find anywhere to purchase it.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I can imagine then it'll be really great for all of you then...Getting to see and talk to them will be really nice!!
Quote:
My brother is a druggie and left her with two kids...I do all I can to make sure she and the kids know that I am there for them. The webcam is so I can skype with my niece and nephew. I'm doing that with my other ones that live back east, and it's wonderful to see them, have them tell me all that's going on...how their swim meets went, etc...

I'm just excited that I was able to get her one (because we can't even email now) and at this price! I've actually been looking for a month or so!

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to tragedyanne

check out http://mircocenter.com/ too they have awesome sales

Owner of Keepsake-Creators
"Creating keepsakes one moment at a time"

Old 07-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

WOOT...congrats Megan......your gonna love having your own lappy!!!

And um Debra......that's just one more of the many reasons you are the sweetest thang EVAH!!! Your SIL, niece and nephew are so blessed to have you!!!!! double

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I hate to tell you this Debra, but it says in the specs that there's an integrated camera. Maybe you could return the webcam you bought.

We're looking at buying one for my brother for Christmas. His laptop just died & they're missionaries, so they don't have a lot of money.
Also, I called Daddy & he's looking at getting one for Mama for Christmas!
Thanks for pointing this deal out Megan! And congrats on your new lappy!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh that's great Deb! That would be such an awesome gift for your brother and the same for the gift for your mom! It really is a nice lil' laptop (i'm using it now laying in my bed with my sick little boy)!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganmecrazy View Post
Oh that's great Deb! That would be such an awesome gift for your brother and the same for the gift for your mom! It really is a nice lil' laptop (i'm using it now laying in my bed with my sick little boy)!
Megan...maybe you can tell me then. Is there a webcam in it? There were questions asked and an associate said there wasn't one, but Deb said that in the specs it says there is one. Either way is fine. If there is one..I'll keep the web cam for my dh's laptop...he was out of state for 6 months last year and would've loved having something like that!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

it says it's not available online anymore....
Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

About the webcam. Um, unless it is hidden I don't see anything that looks like there is a webcam.

About it not being online anymore...call your local walmart store. I just called ours and there is still some left! And a hint (well at least at the couple walmarts around here) they don't have them sitting out they are hidden behind their counter so you have to ask for it. They said there were many people who thought they didn't have any because they weren't out on the shelves and almost left until they heard someone else asking about them.