Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default I'm feeling a bit bummed (re: kindergarten)

The twins first day of school will be Sept. 1st. Well, throughout the summer our school had a K-Ready program (with a meet-up about once a month) so far we have been to 3 meet-ups and the last one is on the 27th of this month. Well, at one of the previous meetings we got to talk more to the teachers, etc. and my kids are the only twins for this Kinder year so they asked me if I cared if they had the same teacher or not. Well, not wanting to sound like a PITA before my kids even get into school I simply said I was fine with whatever. There were three K teachers and although I liked them all there was one that I just seemed to REALLY like her methods of teaching (lots of learning through movement/dancing and also liked the fact that she also has her degree in special ed.).

This past month I have been on the edge of my seat waiting to hear what teachers and what supplies we will need, etc. I got the letter today. And my heart sorta broke when I opened up the 2nd letter to see that they will not be in the same class I could cry. But half my prayers were answered when I saw that my DD will have the one teacher that I really liked because my DD is strong-willed. But then my sons teacher...it is someone new, I have no clue who she is. I hope she is at the last meet-up.

sigh.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I know I don't have kids, but this could really be a great thing! They get to be on their own, make new friends, do fun stuff, and then come home and tell each other all about it!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

{{{HUGS}}}

been there....

my boys were split up in kindergarten too and i LITERALLY cried! i knew it was good for them, but it was SOOOO hard to imagine them not together....

but if it makes you feel better, they will be fine! mine are going into 2nd grade next week and are still in diff classes, which is good for them, but honestly every year i want to put them back together.... it's way harder on us than them i assure you!

good luck!
oxox

(aka L. Reid)

Old 08-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

tears rolling as I type this...

good to hear i'm not the only cry baby about it. thanks Lauren & Col (((HUGS)))
Old 08-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Through all my years of school, I have never seen twins put into the same classroom. I'm sure there are instances where they are...but I have never seen it and it really is good for them. It would certainly be easier for you if they were though!!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

in the boys grade there are 5 sets of twins that i know of and only 1 set that requested the same teacher..... so yeah LOTS of twin mommas feel your pain!

b/g twins can be a diff dynamic though, so just feel out how this year goes for them.... a friend of mine kept her b/g together and they did fine.

but yeah it IS a pain not having them in the same class.... class parties get INTERESTING!!!! &^%$#

(aka L. Reid)

Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Megan I can't help you on the twin part but I can with the new teacher part. For 3 years in a row (2nd, 3rd & 4th grades) my oldest had new teachers. Like just graduated from college this was their first job new!!! Then my youngest DD also had brand new spanking teachers for Kindy and 1st grade.

Needless to say I was apprehensive.........but I gotta say they were wonderful and my girl's FLOURISHED!!! I found that the new teachers were fresh and fun and were just busting at the seams to....get this.....actually TEACH!!!!! They knew all the latest teaching "trends" and methods.

Finally last year (5th grade) my oldest got an "experienced" teacher and he was HORRIBLE....it could have been the man thing.....but I don't think so because in 4th grade she had a brand new man teacher and he was AWESOME!!! Her experienced teacher was opinionated and sometimes down right RUDE!!!! I'll take a "new" teacher anyday!!!!!

So big giant hugs momma.....I'm sure your little peanuts are just gonna LOVE kindergarten!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I'd take the brand new teacher any day as well...It's like with any job (or CT? lol) new to the job always seem more excited!

(((hugs))) on the starting kindy..a lot of my friends have kids starting kindy this year (as do I) and are having a hard time (not me though...yes I miss my girl but I know she's having a blast and I'm enjoying the break)

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 08-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I even cried when they put our DD in a different class than her best friend DD was fine though and a happy girl throughout the year

my blog
Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hugs Megan! Being a teacher I can say, the separate classes for twins are pretty standard and you'll find that it may be a blessing in disguise.

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks girls!! It's great to hear that they will probably do well, and as far as the new teacher goes, I'm sure she will be fine. I guess I was just expecting one of the three I met throughout the summer. But, good 'ol me, I make everything harder than it is at first! I worry about every. little. thing. lol!

You know what, I didn't even think about the whole class party things. You mean ones that the parents have to go to??? How will I be 2 places at once???
Old 08-19-2009, 07:39 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganmecrazy View Post
How will I be 2 places at once???
LOL... that is the big question you'll face all your life no matter if you have twins. Why is it that even with my guys in high school and elementary school that all their events are on the same nights?!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh it's WORSE with twins because ALL their events are at the same time!!!!

just try to make sure their classes are close... in Kindergarten they were in opposite sides of the school (NO JOKE) luckily when we moved to TX they seemed a wee bit more sensitive to it... they had them in classes across from each other which made it way easier! i would just dart into one class then the other then back and forth and back and forth........

(aka L. Reid)

Old 08-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganmecrazy View Post
You know what, I didn't even think about the whole class party things. You mean ones that the parents have to go to??? How will I be 2 places at once???
I've been a Room Mom in both of my girls classes the last few years and so far it's just always worked out that the parties have been at different times so I haven't had to worry about it. This year though I have a 2nd grader and an afternoon kindergartner so more than likely the parties will be at the same time. I've noticed that usually the Mom's that have come to help out just go back & forth between the classrooms if they have kids with parties going on in different rooms. Also at our school the two kindergarten teachers usually combine the classes and have the party in one room so it might work out that way for you too.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Reid View Post
just try to make sure their classes are close... in Kindergarten they were in opposite sides of the school (NO JOKE)
That is just crazy Lauren! Must have been a man that planned that out

At our girls' school (and at the school where my DH teaches in another district too) all the classrooms are grouped together by grade. There are two classes each of preK and K and they're all together and then there are I think 3 each of 1st-5th grades and each of those grades is together.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
i would just dart into one class then the other then back and forth and back and forth........
Oh Lovely! My head hurts already! ROFLMBO!!!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think some times as Mommies we forget that our role is to not only to make sure our children grow up to be loving, caring and well educated adults; it’s also our “job” to make sure our child grown up to be able to function in the real world. I think that your twins being in separate classes will help them flourish as individuals and let them have some experience that will help their bond as brother and sister grow. While they will always be siblings and be there for each other, I truly believe that Kindergarten is the best time for kids to start building their own friendships, learning how the world works, etc. That is the whole point of school beyond the learning stuff…learning how the real world works.
To me Kindergarten was so fun for my girls and offered so them so many opportunities to grow (even though both knew everything they were learning in the K curriculum). The hardest part is being a mom and letting go of our babies and having the realization that they are in Kindergarten.

As for the new teacher, sometimes that can be a blessing in disguise. New teachers have so much energy and aren’t so “set in their ways”. It might just end up being the perfect situation for each of your kids. Don’t cry – be proud that your little ones are ready to go off to Kindergarten and prepared for school – you’re a great mom!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My little girl starts this September too. We know one girl in her class, but the rest is a complete mystery. I've met the teacher once, and she seems wonderful. ( I picked her based on the recommendation of EVERYONE I've ever met who's child went to kindergarten at this school! they all said get her if you can!). But my heart is breaking also. My son, who is two, adores his sister. She is his entire world, and for a half a day every day they are going to be a part. My kids love LOVE each other. Kindy is hard on parents! *LOL*

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 08-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Don’t cry – be proud that your little ones are ready to go off to Kindergarten and prepared for school – you’re a great mom!
Awww, thanks Juli!! (((HUGS))) I am proud, just emotional too. LOL! I am emotional with a lot of things though, and I cry a lot. But, it's just this bittersweet feeling that they will be going off to school. And the first day...I will probably be a MESS! LOLOL!