Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default How do you store your recipes?

I'm still using a big recipe box and it's a MESS. I rarely write recipes on the cards, so there are just tons of folded up papers from where I've printed recipes. I'm thinking of a binder, maybe? But how would that work with the current cards I have? Has anyone done this? If not, what do you do with your recipes?

Old 11-17-2016, 03:55 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I have some binders, but almost everything I use is digital now. I use the Paprika app, and I love it. If I find a recipe online or in a cookbook that I know I'm going to use more than once, I enter it into Paprika. I use my iPad in the kitchen every single day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like Paprika too for digital recipes although I haven't spent much time converting paper recipes. For paper recipes, we cut them and stick them on 4x6 index cards and keep them filed by topic (e,g., poultry, beef, dessert, salad) in storage boxes for those types of cards.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

A few years ago, my mom asked me to take all her recipes that she uses over and over again. And create a digi page... there are four recipes to a page, landscaped and in a binder. Then she adds recipes as she finds good ones.

Me... I rarely make the same dish twice. Haha so all my recipes are in a drawer.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I did digital pages for our favorites, but I also put them all into Paprika and that's all I use now. I'm kind of obsessed, I have it on my phone, computer, ipad and kindle.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have folders and binders. The folders hold recipes I make the most sorted by type, and everything else is in the binders. If you want to put your cards in a binder, maybe there are some photo sleeves you could buy. A photo album would probably work for those, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2016, 06:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a binder/folder... I started it way back when I was still in high school, inspired by my Mum's and my Grandma's recipe books which were big old notebook style where they'd handwritten or pasted things into it (bit like a paper scrapbook I guess). I still add to mine (mostly baked goodies) but I also get a monthly recipe magazine which I use mostly for dinner ideas. I sometimes scan or photocopy a page from them (again, mostly baked goodies!) and glue them to a page in my binder. The dinner ideas I usually only make once anyway, unless I really like it, so the magazines just pile up all over my house!!
Old 11-17-2016, 07:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mine are all printed out in a binder. I have a folder on Google Drive, and I simplify most of my recipes & print them from there. I also have a pinterest board where I keep all the recipes I've tried and another one for ones I want to try. I'll have to check out the Paprika app.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I almost exclusively use online recipes, so I save them as favorites and just plunk my laptop down in the kitchen when I'm cooking, lol.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am another huge Paprika fan. I started using it about a year ago and I LOVE it! I don't think you'd regret it. We were out of town for the holidays last year and I was so mad that I didn't have access to one of my favorite recipes that was stored in my crappy unorganized binder. It is so easy to share recipes with friends who request a copy, etc.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Another big Paprika fan here!
Old 11-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I still use a recipe box for the family recipes that have been handed down... I love that they are in my grandmothers' handwriting and my mother's also. For digital I use google drive and have an old iPad I keep in the kitchen. I like using drive also because I can bring it up on my phone when I'm shopping to double check on what I might need. I also have a old hand-written recipe book that someday I'll give to my daughter with all the recipes I've concocted over the years that are favorites of hers.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:04 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I love Paprika as well. When my MIL passed away, I took on the job of entering all her handwritten recipe cards so everyone in the family could have a copy. She had 4 little recipe file boxes and 2 shoe boxes full. I spent "tv time" one summer entering them. I've never regretted it. I love that you can create a shopping list inside the app and check it off as you are shopping. I have my Thanksgiving recipes all in there and it will automatically create a shopping list for the whole meal. Totally cool. My hubby even swears by it and uses it regularly. We always have an ongoing shopping list and during those times you just pop into a store I can double check if there is anything else I need on my list. Do keep in mind that it is a separate purchase for each format. I think it was $4.99 for iPad, $4.99 for iPhone, & $19.99 for desktop. And yes, I bought all three. A recipe organizer for $30, yes, please. It works for Mac/PC/i-devices/Android. Just in case any of you are wondering, I chose this particular system because I could export & email a document for anybody in the family that wasn't interested in the program so they could still have my MIL's recipes and print them out putting them in a binder. I've been using it for 2 years now and have most of my recipes in there as well. Over a thousand at this point. So awesome!
Old 11-19-2016, 01:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You all have me interested in Paprika! Thank you!

Old 11-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightwriter View Post
Do keep in mind that it is a separate purchase for each format. I think it was $4.99 for iPad, $4.99 for iPhone, & $19.99 for desktop. And yes, I bought all three. A recipe organizer for $30, yes, please. It works for Mac/PC/i-devices/Android.
We have it purchased for our 2 phones (iphone & droid) & ipad. I still need to get it for my laptop so I can input all of my family recipes.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:36 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I was just looking up this paprika app, and it says all versions are on sale until the end of November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use AnyList - it has similar features to Paprika. If you get the premium package for family ($11.99/year), you can share with family - my hubby and I both have it so that we share a grocery list and all of the recipes. You only buy once and can have it on iphones, ipad and desktop. It's one of those rare apps that I've had for years and years and use every day.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use Evernote because it's free lol But I love that I can access it from my phone so when I'm standing in the grocery store saying 'What goes in that again?' I can just bring it up. I've spent a lot of time converting my recipes to notes inside my evernote, but now I want to look into Paprika lol