Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2017, 11:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Anyone's kids play Roblox?

So..my kids are obsessed with this game..but I don't get it really and even when they show me I am super confused..lol When I google search it, there are lots of reviews that make it sounds inappropriate but they are older....Wondering if anyone understands this game better than I do and can fill me in. Is this an appropriate game?? Safe?? I hate being old and not getting things lol
Old 01-16-2017, 11:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Aiden plays it and I haven't personally seen anything bad. Considering how much he says "Wook Momma" I think I would have seen something by now. Thankfully he doesn't really pay attention to the chat all that much, He really just likes to go around and explore.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:08 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd
Default Anyone's kids play Roblox?

My kids love it too. We've had a few concerns over who they accept as friends and how they use the chat. Out rules are that they can only "friend" and chat with people they know in real life. So they have some friends from school and the neighborhood, plus each other. But, we do have to pay attention to the chat sometimes.

Personally, I think Roblox is dumb. But, the kids love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-17-2017, 07:40 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

we don't know that here. But for what i have seen it is a game were children can build things like in minecraft. My oldest 2 are playing a lot of minecraft. My son even has a paper buildings set from minecraft. It is fun to see what they all are creating.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had the Roblox app for about 1 day, lol! My son was obsessed with it but I didn't like the shooting games so I deleted it. A lot of the content is user-created and seems inappropriate for young kids. He can't read fluently yet (he's 6 almost 7) but I also don't like how chat is integrated into it - although they do have a privacy mode for little kids. There are other games to play, imho, so he was mad at me for like an hour, but then moved on to other kid-appropriate games.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:17 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyd View Post
My kids love it too. We've had a few concerns over who they accept as friends and how they use the chat. Out rules are that they can only "friend" and chat with people they know in real life. So they have some friends from school and the neighborhood, plus each other. But, we do have to pay attention to the chat sometimes.

Personally, I think Roblox is dumb. But, the kids love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could have wrote this verbatim.

The game has me like but my son loves it. I really have to pay attention to who he friends so that his chat stays friendly.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

Aida plays all the time. I didn't know much about it at first. Last summer, my 15-yr old niece and I got on to play with her. Got a chance to see how she interacts and how to teach her about safe chatting on the Internet. She did better than I thought.

The best thing about Roblox is the chat restrictions..that are not user controlled. There is an overall filter that hides inappropriate words. Sometimes to a fault as it will even censor number (I guess that could be seen as someone giving their age or phone number). The one downside are the types of games on Roblox. The games are built by other kids and some adults/college students, so there may be violence and whatnot. I don't have an issue with it because we all talk openly in our family and we are all gamers. Roblox is like Minecraft on steroids.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ok awesome!! Thanks for the info!!! I made them stop playing last night because a game sounded so weird to me. They were like hiding from people trying to kill them or something I'll place some harsher restrictions...we have taught them online safety and things so I feel ok there. They just feel young for crazy games but I do openly admit I am pretty strict. :/
Old 01-17-2017, 02:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh dear my seven year old has been playing a while. I never knew a chat was involved and wondered why he kept bringing it up, I kept telling him people are bad and you never talk to anyone you don't know. So then he told me the internet safety guidelines he learned from school. (Which were pretty good even if I didn't tell him)

The computer is in here with us at all times. So he can't do anything that we could look over and see. I guess the next time he wonders that way. I will check out if he's chatting. I don't think he is though because I'd hear the typing.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids love it too...I've never been worried!
Old 01-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My kids play it and they both know not to use the chat feature or accept friend request. They don't play it often. My older kid has moved onto xbox live to play with friends. My youngest plays minecraft and pokemon go most of the time.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Nick plays, but I, too, have had to have talks about the inappropriate chats. As long as that isn't happening, then it's fine.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:59 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyp View Post
we don't know that here. But for what i have seen it is a game were children can build things like in minecraft. My oldest 2 are playing a lot of minecraft. My son even has a paper buildings set from minecraft. It is fun to see what they all are creating.

My boys played mine craft a lot.
but they are a bit older now.
dont know wgat roblox is
Old 01-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yeah mine too. It is so fun to see what they are all making with it. Mario blocks, Dario even made a pistol and a rainbow lol.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We love mine craft around here or used to. Lately they have been playing this game instead but I'm unsure about it. :/

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217

my soon to be 11 year old son plays this i have the little kid feature on it so he can not talk to people.

He loves Roblox because other people have made some of the games he is really into learning coding. He gets a sub box from bitbox every month that helps him learn coding.

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 01-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Rachel loves Roblox and Minecraft. Kogama also.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 13yo daughter plays. I didn't even know it wasn't called Road Blocks! Ack!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

A FB friend shared this article and I remembered you all talking about it here...

http://www.kidspot.com.au/parenting/...e-on-sons-ipad

It sounds like it has the potential to be pretty unsafe. :/

Old 02-17-2017, 12:05 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
A FB friend shared this article and I remembered you all talking about it here...

This is what I was worried about!!!! I have asked them and played with them and nothing has popped up but it seemed like anybody could chat and it looked weird and confusing to me. They are not allowed to engage in any chat but it looks like even if they don't reply they can see other messages? I will be deleting it tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post

Thank you for the heads up going to be rethinking about him playing this game.

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 02-17-2017, 12:22 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Someone shared the above article in my FB feed as well and it makes me sick! My son is almost 6 and soon I'll really have to deal with these issues. So hard to tell what's ok and what's not! I'll be happily keeping my kids under the rock for as long as I can... too many sickos out there turning an innocent game into something not so innocent. Such a shame.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think they could solve all the issues by having the ability to turn off the chat globally. Having it on in each mini game and having to manually do it isn't cool. And also being able to turn off talk bubbles except from friends would solve a lot.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:45 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Besides the chat, user-created content also worries me but that's not unique to the game. I remember back in the days when Sims first came out and it was revolutionary because basically anyone could create stuff for the game, and tons of inappropriate stuff was made and could be downloaded for free.

My boy is still enjoying the lego duplo games so I'm going to let him play with those for as long as I can. Ipad time here is super rare so he doesn't get picky about what he gets to play with.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:33 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

So I did not take the time to read all the above comments - so if this is a repeat sorry - the game itself is not bad or inappropriate - well, there are different games you can play within the game itself - and some may be inappropriate for certain ages - like the murder game is probably not the best for young children - the real problem comes from the user made mod's and add-ons - the article that is floating around had to do with that kind of addition to the game. We have our shared computer in the living room - and they have to have the volume on when playing so I can monitor what they are doing - and we turn off any chat features and commenting when available - You Tube Comments can be horrid. The main reason this stuff goes bad is because there are so many grown adults (with problems) that play, create and push it on the younger generations - makes me sad really.