Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to yari
Default Let's talk DSLRs...

Alrighty, for months now I have been wanting a DSLR, but not just any DSLR. After reading Jenn's post about her lens I of course am now tremendously jealous. LOL! I thought I had decided on a DSLR but now I'm not sure. So, if you have a DSLR, tell me why you love yours so much (or not) or what you recommend best. The prospects I'm looking at are Canon EOS Rebel T2i Digital SLR Kit w/ EF-S/18-55 IS and Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm NIKKOR VR Lens. Talk to me!...

Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a Canon-girl...forever. I have the T1i and love it. Honestly, I've had it over a year and I'm still learning how to shoot in anything but Auto.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the Canon T2i and I love it, but I personally wouldn't get the kit lens. It gets the job done, but it's not great. I rarely use anything but my 50mm lens anymore.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a canon girl too. I have the Xs and I love it. I realize its not a top of the line camera but a lot of times it's the lens that makes the camera.

Don't waste your money on the kit lens. They stink. Get the camera body by itself and then get a 50MM 1.8 lens.

You won't be sorry. :-)
Old 02-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've got (and love) a Canon Rebel. I also recommend you skip buying the kit and just buy the body and a good lens (50mm f/1.8 is very affordable and a good starter lens).

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 02-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm one who says... go to the store and try them out in person and get the one that feels best in your hands... I'm also one who says for the camera body you don't need anything fancy... you should invest in better lenses. But, I will say that even if you can only afford the kit lens it's ok because the kit lens still gives you better pictures than any p&s.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Im a canon girl too, I have the xsi. I decided not to get the t1i because I didn't feel like I needed the hd recording since I already have a HD camcorder.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbettua View Post
Im a canon girl too, I have the xsi. I decided not to get the t1i because I didn't feel like I needed the hd recording since I already have a HD camcorder.
what she said

Old 02-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
I'm one who says... go to the store and try them out in person and get the one that feels best in your hands... I'm also one who says for the camera body you don't need anything fancy... you should invest in better lenses. But, I will say that even if you can only afford the kit lens it's ok because the kit lens still gives you better pictures than any p&s.
This 100%!!

I went to the store and the Canon Rebel XT felt better in my hands then the Nikon D40 (the two I was looking at that were in my price range), I've had my XT for almost 4.5 years (bought it in Aug 2006) and I've taken almost 9000 pictures with it and it's just as good today as the day I opened the box!!! I used my kit lens for about a year and then I invested in the 50mm 1.8, I've shot with it since. I just [today] got the 35mm f2 for my birthday and I'm so excited to start shooting with it!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There is a new entry level Canon coming out:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11...noneos600d.asp

It should be available at the beginning of March. If anything it might knock down the prices of other entry Canons.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

More Canon love I have a Rebel Xti that I've had about 4 years and used DAILY..I use my 50mm and 35mm lenses exclusively. I am planning on upgrading within the next year to the 5D but I have really loved my Rebel.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I think the 50 mm is a great lens, but I wouldn't want it to be my ONLY lens, as it is limited in what you can shoot with it without being super-far away (ie: group shot), so I would probably recommend getting the kit lens (or another non-fixed lens) so that you have that option when you need it.

robin
Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Definitely go to a store and hold the different cameras you're interested in and see which one feels best in your hands. I also agree with skipping the kit lens and going for either a 50mm or 30/35mm lens of if you really want a zoom lens try the 28-75mm 2.8 over the kit lens.

For me I'm a die-hard Canon girl and have been shooting with an XTi for about 3.5 years and will be upgrading by the end of the month. I've finally decided that I'm going with the 7D for now, I was planning on the 5DMII but decided to hold off since there will probably be a new full frame coming out in late 2011. They did just announce the new T3 and T3i so the older Rebel models may come down in price a bit.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
This. I'm a Nikon girl myself, but as someone said recently in a similar thread, Canon vs Nikon is just like Coke vs Pepsi. It's 100% personal preference.

I'd suggest getting the camera body, and then 2 lenses. The 50mm and the 35mm are both cheap enough that it would probably cost as much as the body with the kit lens. 2 lenses will give you a little more wiggle room than if you ONLY got the 50mm.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a canon girl, but my advice is to go to the store and play with the cameras. The reason I went canon is because it just fit right in my hands-the nikon was too bulky and just felt weird to me.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Another Canon user here. We have an XTi and a 40D. The XTi is great, but the flash really stinks compared to my 40D. This would be something I'd consider. I don't use my pop-up flash often, but when I need it, I'm greatful for the one on the 40D. LOVE my 50mm lens too. We also have a Tamron 18-250 which a fantastic all-purpose lens for outside. One of our favorite travel lenses. Have fun shopping! I agree that you should try them yourself to help you decide.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I don't know what your budget is. But if I were in your shoes, I'd purchase the Nikon D7000 body only. (I agree with everyone else on kit lenses not being ideal. Purchasing your lenses separately is the way to go.)

It's 16.2 MP and it can go to 6400 ISO with an option to expand even higher.

However, because it's relatively new, it's hard to find in the stores (well, B&H anyway) since they keep selling out.

I currently have the D50 and love it but I need more MP and a higher ISO so the D7000 is what I'm upgrading to.

Good luck on your decision!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nikon girl here! But I did want to say whatever brand you choose (Nikon or Canon) please get one that can take most lenses. The truly entry level cameras that can only take the -S lenses (or whatever) are so limiting when you want to upgrade your glass. Yes money is in the lenses, but the ability to use those lenses is limited by certain cameras on both the Nikon and Canon sides. I think the Nikon 3100 is one of those..I'm not sure.

I've used a D90 for over two years and have loved it, but this week I am expecting my new D7000. I thought I wanted to go full format for low light capabilities (high ISO's without much noise) but after seeing and reading so many reviews I've decided the D7000 will be just what I need for a long time!

Good luck with your decision. And don't get the kit lenses! LOL I tell everyone that. Get the Tamron 28-70 2.8f lens (either Nikon or Canon version)! You'll save yourself money in the long run!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I am a Canon girl...I have the T1i and I LOVE it....but I think Canon and Nikon are very comparable and you need to go in a store and try them out and see which one "feels" better to you if you can rent them somewhere, I would try to rent each of them for a week or so and try them out and see which one you like better
Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
... but this week I am expecting my new D7000
Okay, fess up! WHERE did you find one available???!!! I want one without waiting weeks on end!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Newegg!!!

I would have never thought of them for camera stuff but we buy $$$ of computer parts there so I KNOW they are good. No sales tax for us here and $5 shipping and IN STOCK. Now if this stupid weather would cooperate they could deliver it (it is at the UPS warehouse in Mesquite, TX due to incliment weather- it made it all the way there from New Jersey just fine).
Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

So jealous. I'm dreaming of the D7000. Hopefully sometime this year I will get to get it.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nikon girl here too! I started w/ a D50 and now have a D300. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I love the way Nikons feel in my hands. But, I don't have anything against Canons. As the others said, it's totally personal preference.

I think I'm going to agree with whoever said to go ahead and get the kit lens. I know that eventually, you are going to want better glass. But I shot w/ just my kit lens for about a year and was thrilled to pieces w/ my pictures. Once you learn your camera (manual!!) and know a little more about your style and what kinds of lenses you will want, then you could start saving toward and puchasing lenses. But that kit lens give a fairly good range for shooting to start with.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 02-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to yari

Oh my gosh ladies!!! This is such helpful information!! Thank you all so very much for your oh-so-valued responses - totally helps! I went to a store yesterday and tried both of the cameras and the Canon seemed a little more user-friendly to me, felt pretty comfortable in my hands, and it takes 18 mpx photos. On the other hand, Nikon has quite the reputation with their cameras, you know. Oh decisions, decisions...

Old 02-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Canon XS and Ireally want to upgrade but I am waiting a bit. I agree about buying the body and then a better lens. HOWEVER, if you can't afford that, then you can do a ton of awesome things even with the kit lens. If you can get comfortable shooting without a flash that will help oodles and I had a kit lens up until just a few weeks ago and I was pretty happy with most of my pics! Have fun shopping!! :
Old 02-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have a Canon 1000D, which I believe is the Rebel XS? I will upgrade eventually, but have to save up and also want to get the maximum out of my current camera first, before I get new features.

I was belonging to the kit lens people, too. My thoughts behind this were the following: Before I owned that camera I didn't photograph much, so I had no idea what pictures I would enjoy taking the most. Therefore a little zoom lens seemed a good idea, plus the kit was on sale. Also, I didn't feel comfortable spending a lot of money on lenses before I master my camera better. And I wanted to try out photography in general first. If I hadn't kept up with it, there wouldn't have been too many investments.

My stragety really worked for me. After 1-2 years I felt more comfortable shooting in manual and I had a way better idea what lenses I'd like to buy. But then... I am a firm believer that too many people rather buy equipment than learning how to use what they have. In the beginning it definitely wasn't the equipment limiting me! It was my skill level. And I have easily noticed when I reached the point where my equipment needed some upgrading.

So I usually advice people to get a smaller, less pricy solution first, test that hobby and then with more background knowledge start investing for real. Or if they realise they don't like shooting manual and bringing heavy cameras, buy a nice bridge or P&S camera.

Last edited by Ginger_79; 02-11-2011 at 02:21 PM.