Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements

This is kind of an offshoot of the thread about PSD's vs. TIFF's, but that whole topic got me to thinking about whether I should consider switching to Photoshop instead of PSE. Certainly I can't create actions, or text paths, or a gazillion other things in Elements - but I don't know if I'm ready yet for the "real thing", KWIM?

Although my graphic designer daughter is horrified by this fact, I knew NOTHING about graphics programs when I started dabbling in digi almost two years ago. That, coupled with the price differential between PSE & whatever version of CS was available at the time, made the choice a simple one for me. But since I got seriously interested in digi about a year ago, I've been wondering how difficult it is to make the transition. I can't imagine that I wouldn't be a lot happier with a more powerful program - so long as it isn't more than I can handle . . . I'm certainly no spring chicken, and my brain isn't as flexible as it used to be.

So, is a year's "experience" with PSE enough to allow me to work in CS5 without too much difficulty? I really hate to plunk down that kind of money if I'm not going to be able to put it to good use. Everyone here is so nice and so helpful, and I'd really love to get your advice/opinions . . . TIA!

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 01-12-2011, 02:14 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Dee, you could always download a 30 day free trial of PS and try it for a little while before deciding. I started with PaintShop Pro and transitioned to PS with little difficulty, so I suspect you could do the same from PSE, since it's an Adobe product. I adore PS. There is a lot of flexibility with the program. Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:28 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

fwiw.. i design in pse.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with trying the trial. Its got a different interface but I've always worked with PS not PSE and find PSE difficult cause it won't do all that I want it to do. See if it is too much for you, before you spend the money on is my thought GL!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do everything in PSE as well.

There are still tricks & tips that I find as work arounds. I've been using PSE since 2005, still working on PSE5 actually.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was also going to say that I've been using PSE for 4 years now! It does what I need it to. Sometimes there are a few features I'd like, but overall, it's good enough for me!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have PSE6 and CS3 and I do layouts in PSE6 because of the bin at the bottom. At least I've never been able to figure out a way to do the same kind of thing in CS3 (is there a way?). I do edit my photos in CS3 though because I have a lot of actions in there.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
I have PSE6 and CS3 and I do layouts in PSE6 because of the bin at the bottom. At least I've never been able to figure out a way to do the same kind of thing in CS3 (is there a way?). I do edit my photos in CS3 though because I have a lot of actions in there.
Oh, yikes! I'm hooked on that bin . . . can't imagine doing a layout without it.

Anyway, thanks for the input, everyone - definitely appreciate it. I may download the trial version at some point when I have more time to play with it, but it sounds to me like there are plenty of folks getting along just fine with PSE. I was starting to think I was being a dinosaur about the whole thing, but I feel much better now!

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Something to consider if you go for it. If there's a way to get an educational discount, you may want to go with the entire creative suite rather than just PS. I'm realzing now, three years after I got my CS3, that I should have gotten the suite instead, for about the same price--I didn't use an educator's discount when I got my PS.

That said, I didn't have too much difficulty going between PSE and PS and I really like all that I'm able to do with PS. It has some more flexibility when it comes to photo manipulation/processing. I think if you're just going to do scrapbook pages, PSE is probably all you need--and is a little easier in that respect.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I totally agree with what most people said. If PSE works for you, stick with it! Sometimes it feels like everyone is always upgrading programs and cameras and stuff, but if you have something that you can use to do the things you need to do, why spend the extra money for something that is "better" if what you have is good enough for you?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I scrap with PSE. I've found that I can find a tip, trick, template, or action/style that will work around just about anything I want to do that PSE won't. PSE works for me, so I'd rather use my money for camera accessories (lenses, flash, etc).

Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I upgraded to CS4 right after it came out and I haven't regretted it. I was feeling limited by my program and that was a big cause of me wanting to upgrade. PSE was great for me, it did its job for 2.5 years, but I had hit my 'max' with it and felt like it was time for the next step. I will say in the almost 2 years since I got CS4, TONS more actions have come out for PSE that are workarounds for things PS does. I'd say stick with what is working for you until it doesn't anymore...if you hit that limit, then it might be time to move on. Free trial is definitely the way to go though, before you spend that much cash.