Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default PSCS5 Question

I just upgraded to CS5 from CS3. First, I'm running Vista on my desktop and Windows 7 on my laptop, which version do I use? I have a regular PSCS5 and one that is 64bit.

Secondly and more importantly, why are all my old psd files showing up with quicktime icons???? Photoshop doesn't seem to be an option when opening these files, they open in a separate window when I double click. If I want to open them into photoshop, I have to do so through photoshop. Very confusing.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I believe Vista is regular and Windows 7 is 64-bit. They don't really run differently (that you can see) it is just a way the computer processes the data (speed). So you can install two different versions and it won't be a big deal.

In PSCS5 is PSD's assigned to CS5? It just may be confused because the old program is gone. I cannot figure out how to do that right now. But I'm sure someone can chime in here.

Can you right click on the file and then say open with PSCS5?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You'll have to check the processor on each of your machines to see if they are 32bit or 64bit...doesn't make a difference which version of Windows you are using. Give me just a sec and I'll look to tell you how to find that information.
Ok go to Start > Type: msinfo32.exe under System type you will either see x64 based or x86 based (or possibly 32bit). x64 means you have a 64 bit capable processor. x86 means you have a 32 bit capable processor.

as for the psd file compatibility all you need to do is right click on a psd file > open with > choose program > make sure the box is checked that says Always open this file type with this program (or something of that sort going from memory on the exact wording since my OS is in Dutch) > then choose Adobe Photoshops CS5.

HTH helps

Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It depends on your computer, not the operating system. I have 64 bit on my laptop and 32 bit on my desktop.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

THanks! Both programs seem to be funning fine, so I won't worry so much about that. The quicktime thing is what really threw me. I never had that problem before.