Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy
Default So crazy!

Ok, I'm sure this is going to come across as snotty or rude, even though it's probably none of my business...and it's really not...
However, I was just over at a certain scrap site that has a main following in paper and saw a whole list of photos of people's scrap rooms.
OMG...seriously...I cannot believe how elaborate and indulgent some of them are. I know that paper scrapping is just as awesome as digi scrapping (ok, who are we kidding, digi is best LOL) but I cannot even fathom spending thousands or tens of thousands to organize all of my scrapbook supplies. That just blows my mind....some of them look like retail stores!!!
I am soooooooo glad to have the 4x4 area that I do for scrapping and so glad that I have a little EHD where all of my items are stored.
Don't get me wrong, the scrap rooms are completely gorgeous and I definately wish my house was big enough for a hobby room but I just...really...cannot imagine the time and money it would take to do something so huge.
Yikes!

Old 04-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I used to get so discouraged as a paper scrapper because I always wanted one of those super awesome rooms, but it's EXPENSIVE to buy the containers and stuff to store all of that stuff! I've almost always been lucky enough to have a room to use as a craft room, but never been able to "decorate" it the way some of these women do. And I never had THAT much stuff, either, lol...
Old 04-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

One of our really good family friends is probably like one of the ladies with the HUGE rooms... 2 years ago she opened her own Scrap Cottage... BEAUTIFUL... People will come from wherever and stay the weekend (its a 6 or 7 bedroom cottage) and scrap ALL day long! I tried to get into paper scrapping, but once I found out about the digi world, I never looked back... I LOVE using my embelishments OVER and OVER and OVER!!

Mommy to two baby girls

Hayden Louise - 3.14.08
and
Leah Noelle -10.27.10
Old 04-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think it is just like any other hobby....you can be reasonable about it and spend a reasonable amount on it overtime OR you can go overboard and spend exorbinate amounts in short periods. Like for instance my sister comes over and she sees my collection of Disney snowglobes or Build-A-Bears and she thinks it is ridiculous how much I spend on them. She doesnt bother to ask how much time it took to accumulate it all!! I have been collecting Build-A-Bears since 2003 and have bought alot of them on ebay for 3 or 4 dollars a piece. I have been collecting the snowglobes since 1999 or 2000. I only buy the snowglobes on sale for 40 dollars or less (they go up over 100 when not on sale) and only buy the build-a-bears for special occasions (like I ask for one for my birthday or christmas etc). Also another possibility and the way *I* would go if I was to get into paper scrapping is yard sales/flea markets/ebay/craigs list. On Craigs List alone a few months ago I found a lady who was selling ALL her scrapping supplies for 200 dollars and had about 2000 dollars worth of stuff. So really it is more about the way it is accumalated and over what time period I think. Yes it looks like alot and it is if you add it all up but if you think about the fact that some of these women have been scrapping for 20 years or more it really doesnt add up to much each year KWIM?

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

When I was a paper scrapper, I had all my stuff stuffed into a rubbermaid tote. Not too pretty, huh?
Old 04-09-2009, 05:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When I "paper", I use that term loosely, scrapped, I had to containers with handles on them and my floor or bed was my "scraproom". Keira has her coloring books in those now. LOL!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I know exactly what you mean. I used to be like that and when I converted to digi - I sold my entire room. LOL

The only things that I have on hand now are white cardstock to print onto, ribbons, flowers, glue and scissors. LOL Maybe a few eyelets and I do have archival safe pens.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It is ridiculous how much you can spend. I was cleaning out my study this weekend and going through old scrap stuff, and I nearly choked when I saw the prices on some of them. $4 for PAPERCLIPS?????? That's half of a full-price, chockfull SSD kit! And the organizing stuff is so insanely expensive. If people want to spend their money on that, fine, but it's definitely not something I would be spending my $$$ on.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Seriously. I know. And people are starving to death in the world. Of course, if you saw my "Digital Kis" folder, you might be appalled, as well. (It's called "kis" because if i call it "kits" i can't see any of the previews, btw)
Old 04-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

besides the money, I love the fact that even with organization it's still a mess to pull all that stuff out and put it all away!!! I just hated that. and every new tool just added to the clutter when you were scrapping.......That's what I love about digital no muss, no fuss. open your program, open your files and you're on your way! and it's easy to clean up. close your files, save your layout, close your program.....Never will do "paper" scrapping again!

As far as the money goes, I may not save all that much money, cause I probably buy way too much digi stuff too along with buying hardware and software to support the habit!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy

I'm not really talking about stash...every hobbyist usually has a lot of whatever their hobby is, I'm just talking about ROOMS...and STORAGE. I work at Lowe's and I know some of this storage stuff is expensive. We're talking upwards of $50 for one wooden storage unit and a lot of people have WALLS full. That's not taking into consideration, counters, lighting, shelving, containers. It just blows my mind.
Well, I guess if you can afford it...

Old 04-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

that's why I never wanted to get into paper scrapping. I felt like because I couldn't afford all that crap I just couldn't do it.

I would love to have a massive fancy craft room though For my computer and all the other holiday things we do...one day maybe
Old 04-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Speaking for myself, my scrap room (with custom cabinetry) wasn't just part of my paper scrap obsession...it was part of my thriving scrapbook business. I also did most of the work back in 2003 before the economy totally tanked. Some of those other ladies might be in a similar situation.