Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Let's Talk Jeans!

So I read the viral Mom Jeans blog post making its way around Facebook. This one right here. It basically says Gap and Old Navy jeans look like mom jeans on most people. Uh, I have been buying Old Navy jeans for years. Now I'm scared they look like mom jeans on me. So I wanna talk jeans. What do you buy, where do you get them, how much would you spend on jeans, etc? I know I wear jeans all the time, they are pretty much all I wear outside the home when not at work, but I hate to spend much money on them.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Haha! I know! I realized that I actually LIKE mom jeans and that's what I look for. I was lamenting to my husband about how all I have are mom jeans, and he said,
"Kellie. You are 35 years old. You ARE a mom. It's ok to wear mom jeans."
Awww, love that guy.
Except that he didn't see the butt-to-butt comparisons of mom jeans vs cool jeans.
Even my Lucky brand jeans are mom jeans apparently. {But I still look good in them ; )}
I've always been anti-designer jeans, but now I'm thinking I might need to invest in some!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL - well I don't know if mine are mom jeans or not but they fit me the way I like so that's what I buy.

I only wear Lee jeans - either Lee Riders or Lee Signature, boot cut. I'm pretty short (around 5' 3") but my legs are almost 30 inches long So I have a very short waist and that makes it hard to find jeans that don't have a waistband that comes right up under my boobs!

The Lee jeans actually make me look like I have an area between my boobs and hips so that's what I buy, faithfully, for years. AND they are under $25 at Kmart
Old 08-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

How have I not seen that post before?

Well all I own are Old Navy jeans, and they definitely look like mom jeans.

I've already decided that once I hit my goal weight, I'm going to splurge and buy a pair of killer jeans that are NOT from Old Navy. LOL It'll probably be a once in a lifetime purchase, so I wanna make it a good one!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

that post was awesome! I can't wait to get to my goal weight and get some really cool designer jeans. But Im not going to spend a ton of money on them either.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am still one of those mom's that refuses to wear mom jeans. I wear my Silvers from the Buckle. They cost a pretty penny each. I have around 6/7 pairs now. My MIL buys me a new pair each year for Christmas and that is my only present. I'm cool with this as I bought the ones I did before I had kids. Now, I can't afford them. Most have a very worn/used look, but I rock it.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I bought my first pair of American Eagle jeans today and have to say that I really like them. I'm actually a little surprised that I like them so much cause I've always thought that I was too old for that store. Glad that I gave them a try.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

i own over 300 something pairs of jeans and im glad to say none of them are mom jeany looking. my husband is very honest ( tis why i love him) about the way my butt looks in jeans and will tell me if it looks like crap. thank god LOL. im anal about my jeans. i dont care what they cost as long as my butt looks good LOL. I do have some old navy ones that i buy a size smaller to have a happy butt and i damage them up with sandpaper. I have jeans that have cost me as little as 30 bucks to some that cost me 300 bucks. im only 36 years old, its not time for me to have a saggy butt
Old 08-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Being short I have a hard time buying jeans. I get mine from Kohl's (juniors department since they fit the best) or Aeropostale is another love of mine.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrab View Post
I bought my first pair of American Eagle jeans today and have to say that I really like them. I'm actually a little surprised that I like them so much cause I've always thought that I was too old for that store. Glad that I gave them a try.
Me, too! I've never tried them before. And you better believe I am agonizing over whether or not they pass that blog post test. LOL
Old 08-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't seen that blog post yet. I wear jeans all the time and refuse to wear mom jeans, but I also don't spend a lot on them. I like Levis, especially the new line of them that comes Slight Curve, Demi Curve, and a 3rd curvy kind. In the past I've had to try on a million pairs to find jeans with a low or mid rise that was cut right for me (ie, someone who used to have a straight body and gained weight in the waist with age and motherhood), but I love that it's so easy to identify the right cut with this line.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just need to say that blog depressed me. That said, I don't wear jeans that often. I do love my 7 FAM and those are really all I wear. I need to text her a tushy shot and see what she thinks.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggletooth75 View Post
i own over 300 something pairs of jeans and im glad to say none of them are mom jeany looking. my husband is very honest ( tis why i love him) about the way my butt looks in jeans and will tell me if it looks like crap. thank god LOL. im anal about my jeans. i dont care what they cost as long as my butt looks good LOL. I do have some old navy ones that i buy a size smaller to have a happy butt and i damage them up with sandpaper. I have jeans that have cost me as little as 30 bucks to some that cost me 300 bucks. im only 36 years old, its not time for me to have a saggy butt
I want to see pictures! Where do you store that many jeans?! You must have boxes and boxes of them. Almost one pair for every day of the year!

I'm not really sure what constitutes "mom" jeans, but I'm pretty sure I don't own any. I'm pretty particular about my jeans. My favorites brands that I own are Adriano Goldschmied, Seven for All Mankind, Joe's Jeans and Hudsons. I have about 10 pairs I wear regularly. They are all relatively expensive.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If I could fit into the brands Sheri mentioned, I'd be buying those too! They are my favorites, but right now...I'm a wee (more like a lot) too big!

I have a curvy figure and it's tough to find jeans. I have some from Buckle that I love (but I need to be another 10 pounds lighter to fit in them).

I have some Not Your Daughter's jeans that I just bought and I thought that brand wouldn't fit me. I bought some colored jeans too.

I've spent up to $175 on jeans, but I'd be willing to pay more if they fit and I looked great. When I'm always thinking I need to lose weight, it's hard to pay too much.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:20 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have no jeans from Gap or ON, but that's because they're unavailable in Norway and I never got any while I was living in VA. Loved the blog post!

Pouring my creative self into perfection made by Ju Kneipp
Old 08-11-2012, 06:04 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

OMG! I loved that blog post! I had just bought more Old Navy jeans since I had lost a bunch of weight. I was almost mortified! I bought some new jeans at Maurices. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I modeled for the hubby the difference between the 2 brands and he could not believe the difference! I wore the new pair to work and patients made comments if I had lost more weight! Talk about feeling good! LOL The Old Navy jeans are back in the bag ready to get returned! BYE BYE mom jeans!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:17 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Were they on sale for less than $30? Do they fit without leaving all that extra fabric under my pooch? Can I sit in them and still breath? Then those are the ones that I buy.

I'm so un-fashion that I don't care if they look like 'mom' jeans, whatever that is. If I'm comfortable in them, they didn't cost me a week's food budget, and hubby is happy, then I'm happy, regardless of what this week's trend in clothes are.

But I'm sure you already knew that about me LOLOL
Old 08-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I wear almost faithfully ANA jeans from JCPenneys. But then I only wear them like two months a year

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
Were they on sale for less than $30? Do they fit without leaving all that extra fabric under my pooch? Can I sit in them and still breath? Then those are the ones that I buy.

I'm so un-fashion that I don't care if they look like 'mom' jeans, whatever that is. If I'm comfortable in them, they didn't cost me a week's food budget, and hubby is happy, then I'm happy, regardless of what this week's trend in clothes are.

LOL Darcy - I could have written this word for word (except for the DH part ) As a single mom I can't bring myself to buy myself clothes very often, much less spend more than 20-30 dollars on any 1 item
Old 08-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I have most in bags in the basement that dont fit ( one day they will), I decided are ugly or were impulse buys. I have a shelf of the ones i do wear. I rarely put my laundry away so they sit in baskets. I just have an addiction to buying them yet i dont throw them away when they dont fit. So i count them in my jeans stash LOL Joe's jeans are yummy on the booty. Expensive BUT they dont fall apart so easy and the butt looks amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I want to see pictures! Where do you store that many jeans?! You must have boxes and boxes of them. Almost one pair for every day of the year!

I'm not really sure what constitutes "mom" jeans, but I'm pretty sure I don't own any. I'm pretty particular about my jeans. My favorites brands that I own are Adriano Goldschmied, Seven for All Mankind, Joe's Jeans and Hudsons. I have about 10 pairs I wear regularly. They are all relatively expensive.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Ha! Oh my, I now have an overwhleming urge to have my husband take pics of my butt in all my jeans. I have 2 pairs of Gap jeans from before kids (these things are probably 10 years old, easy) that I keep going back to, and I thought they looked good! I also have 2 pairs of Loft jeans that I'm honestly unsure about. I haven't shopped at Express in probably 7 years but I guess I need to head to the mall. After grabbing some butt shots on my phone.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

One thing I look for is a higher lycra content. some jeans are as low as 1%. I think the higher the lycra the better they fit on your curves

Old 08-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

oh and dark wash is always more flattering although I do love some lighter wash jeans I own as well.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Really though, at my age...I'm ok with "mom" jeans as long as they fit well and are comfy. For the most part....those are not the ones from ON or Gap. My biggest concern is that they don't look like "grandma" jeans!! Those would be the ones with the elastic waist that go up to my armpit and the pockets that are sewn on the front.

I would rather have one pair that fit amazingly well that I spent $100 on, than 5 pair that aren't flattering that I spent $20 each on.

Darcy...I know you say you don't care, but if you ever have a chance to try on the NYDJ's , I hope you do it. They come up just high enough so you don't have the bulge, and there support for that tummy. The material is usually super soft too and is more comfy in the hotter weather. Not all of their pairs fit me...like any jean, you have to try on all their styles!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
oh and dark wash is always more flattering although I do love some lighter wash jeans I own as well.
I agree on the darker wash!!
Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I see all these brand names, but what stores do you get them at?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just couldn't get over what a difference a good, fitted pair of jeans makes. If you don't have to sacrifice comfort and you can look so much better, totally worth it.

But Darcy, my husband's like yours; I'm pretty sure as long as I'm taking them off for him, he doesn't care so much how they fit. ; )
Old 08-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
I see all these brand names, but what stores do you get them at?
A lot of them you can get at a Buckle store. The sales people there are usually very helpful and can really help you with fit!

Nordstrom carries a lot of brands too.

When I'm looking to buy, I have to admit I'm not taking the time to look for deals. I like to go where I get great service and the best help.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4noisyboys View Post
A lot of them you can get at a Buckle store. The sales people there are usually very helpful and can really help you with fit!

Nordstrom carries a lot of brands too.

When I'm looking to buy, I have to admit I'm not taking the time to look for deals. I like to go where I get great service and the best help.

That's one of my favorite parts about the Buckle. They are so helpful and care it seems. Even if they are just pretending they do that well! I enjoy going and dressing up. I'm not very good with fashion, but they help me out and match stuff up that I normally wouldn't have but rocks!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

OK, apparently I need to check out the Buckle as soon as I lose a couple of pounds. Thanks, girls! I remember buying a pair of jeans there years ago that I loved actually.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I cannot get over the price at Buckle's wearing jeans so infrequently. I love jeans and wear them when it is cool enough but prefer lighter fabrics most of the year...or shorts.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love the Buckle. LOVE THEM. Like Brittney said, they just help me look good. Seriously. I also like Mauries. Their jeans are always good for me too. Both places sell Silvers (which are my fav) or Lucky's. I love Buckles brand BKE too. Another brand I got is Miss Me jeans. THOSE rock too.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I really like jeans from Ann Taylor and from Loft. They're probably Mom jeans but as soon as I work off my muffin top I'll get some really cool designer jeans.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Well, I guess I wear mom jeans lol. I usually wear Old Navy "flirt" or Lee slender secrets. My 2 best friends are a little less well endowed than myself and they are into wearing the strategically ripped jeans and I have to say I think they look a little ridiculous so I'll stick with the mom jeans .

Dawn
Old 08-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

How many people ran into the bathroom to check out their pockets after seeing this LOL! I have two pairs of jeans because I get to wear them so infrequently. They are a weekend only thing, so I don't want to spend a lot of money.

I worked at The Buckle for 2 years in high school and still have nightmares about folding all of the jeans. Maybe I'll go back to The Buckle after I lose some more weight, but until then I'll still with my Dress Barn jeans (such an unfortunate name LOL).
Old 08-13-2012, 12:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post

That's me. Heck, most of my jeans don't cost anywhere near $30 either. In fact, most cost about $2 a pair from the local thrift store.

Anyway, I think that ANY pair of jeans can look like mom jeans if they don't fit you right. That seemed to be a lot of what the blog said to me. Look for ones that fit you well.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
I cannot get over the price at Buckle's wearing jeans so infrequently. I love jeans and wear them when it is cool enough but prefer lighter fabrics most of the year...or shorts.
I wear jeans practically every day. That is part of why I go for comfort vs. look and prefer to get them as cheaply as possible. I work at a school and dress very casually. If I only wore jeans occasionally I might splurge and get better jeans but I'm not going to wear a $200 pair of jeans to work.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

When I first read the title to this post I thought you said Let's Talk Jesus

But anyway... I only wear one brand and style of jeans and have for the last 10 years. I'm boring but they are my fav! I wear American Eagle boyfriend jeans. I'm short and they fit perfectly!!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm waaaaayyyy to cheap. If I have jeans that fit well, are comfortable, and look "good enough," I'm okay.

Having said that, I read that post last week or so and can't believe the difference. It's pretty amazing and tempting... but I would never spend that much. Plus, I would want 3-4. I think I have some hand-me-downs that pass her tests. I haven't worn jeans in several months and won't for a few more though... so I'll see then!