Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Working from home...need ideas!

So right now I work in the evenings from 5-10pm, Monday - Thursday. It works okay but I hate leaving the kids (though I am just leaving them with dh but I want to be there too!) My dream job is to stay at home with them full time. I was able to stay home with Blake for the first 2 years of his life - then finances said I needed to do something to make some $$. It's now been over 2 years since I started working nights and we added another little one to the mix. I have to pump at work - Landon stays up until I get home for his final feeding. Anyways I am having a harder time leaving each day - and I know once Blake starts kindergarten that I'll want to be home in the evenings to help with schoolwork. And yesterday Blake asked me to stay home and not go to work. And that just pulled on my heartstrings.

So long story short - I am trying to figure out someway to bring in extra income so I can quit my night job and work from home. I don't want to babysit. I need something that will bring around $1000 a month. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I'd love to hear them! TIA

Old 03-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Before and after school care. In Canada, people pay an average of $25/per child each day (for just a couple of hours). Hope something works out for you and your family.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Is there ANY way you can cut your monthly expenses by that much???

I do not make any $$ at home, but I am proud to say I work hard at saving my family money (well, until I buy something here! ). We have made many sacrifices throughout the years for me to stay at home. Only recently did DH get a new job with a big raise, and now things feel less tight.

Some things you could cut to be able to stay home:
Cancel Cable TV (We did that... watched our fav. TV shows on Hulu and just played DVD's for the kids)
Stop renting movies (Netflix subscriptions, etc. Just borrow DVD's from the library instead)
Avoid Paid Entertainment (instead of, say, a play center which costs $10 per kid we go to the beach or park)
Get your hair cut less often
Do your own manicures/pedicures
Eat at home & pack DH's lunch (or reduce eating out to 1x a week)
Reduce vacations to 1x a year or even every other year (instead, visit family or find inexpensive staycation fun)
Cut the clothing budget (hit the thrift or consignment shops instead of buying everything new)

... these are just a few ideas. You might have other things that can be trimmed back that I didn't mention.

Funny enough, but just working increases your monthly budget. You may tend to eat out more, you might have to buy additional clothing, you might not have time to clip coupons for groceries or be thrifty just because of how busy your schedule is.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Brook those are some really good ideas. I know we cut out a few things but we could always do more. I really just need to sit down with DH and just talk about ways we can make it work for us. He definitely knows how much I want to stay home with the kids.

Lee - that's a possibility I should look into. Thanks!