Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-31-2023, 08:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default What other craft hobby do you enjoy?

Being as we are all scrapbookers, I know we are all crafty people, so I am wondering what other crafts you enjoy?

Also, I have been wasting a lot of time on esty these days, so the next part of this question is, if you could have an etsy shop for a handmade or craft product, what would it be?

In addition to scrapbooking, my other creative hobby is quilting. I love to design patterns and piece quilt tops, but am not as crazy about the actual quilting. lol

I also love cross stitching, but it is quickly becoming a past hobby as age worsens my eyesight. I can't see where to put the needle without a strong magnifying glass. LOL

A relatively new hobby that I am enjoying, and the reason I am wasting time on etsy, is tier tray decorating. I love decorating and this lets me do it on a small/affordable (sorta) scale. I have three of them in different places in the house and really enjoy tinkering with them.

As to an etsy shop, I have been thinking more and more about how neat it would be to sell card kits on etsy. I think handmade cards are so cool and would love to use products I have created to put together card kits. I have the kit I've made, the cutting machine, a good printer, but what I don't have is the time. Something else that is going to have to go on my "when I retire" list.

So tell me about your non-scrapbooking craftiness. I would love to hear if there is something fun that I am missing out on.

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 05-31-2023 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cookie decorating. It's less fun now that I'm back on my diet, and it's SO much work, but I still have fun when I do it.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I enjoy making wreaths as a hobby, mostly for friends and family. I have told the girls that as a wedding gift, we will thrift or salvage a piece of furniture and redo it. My husband enjoys woodworking, so I think we could do some fun stuff! The closest I have done to this, is painting my daughter's dresser. It went ok, so I am willing to try more furniture pieces!
Old 05-31-2023, 11:14 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

My other hobbies/crafts include sublimation and vinyl work on various things. I also enjoy woodworking with my grandpa as well.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My only other hobbies are reading and playing Candy Crush Friends. I also enjoy watching tiny house tours and home remodels on Instagram, but I need a house where everyone has their own room and everything is already remodeled. I only want to buy things on Etsy, not make them and sell them.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do lots of coloring. There's a whole adult coloring community and coloring books for us that aren't "too childish". I love the peace and relaxation it gives me too.

Other than that, I write poetry ....I've often thought about offering "poetic" card prints on etsy. But also like you, I don't have the time.

Old 06-01-2023, 08:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

This is a fun question...I think I might want to make a layout from my answer.

Growing up I did all the crafts with mom and Grandma.
We made hair scrunchies, friendship bracelets, wire rings, Christmas ornaments, puffy paint frames/tshirts...you name it, we made it.
My mom made my CPK doll clothes. When I called her from college asking her to make 100 sarong skirts for Rush, she said "no problem"! My first year in the dorms she made all 4 of us big, pillowy M&M costumes. Throughout the years she made lots of Halloween Costumes- princess dress, witch costume,
We have continued to make crafts together especially during the Holidays. We now kick off the Holiday Season at Sunshine Cabin making Christmas Ornaments. She would take the Kids for the weekend and always have a craft project planned. They liked to rock paint and paint canvases.
My Girls and I dabbled in making vinyl Starbucks cups when my middles daughter received a Cricut for Christmas. We have a cupboard full of supplies and cups now.

These days in addition to digi scrapbooking, I like Photography and traditional scrapbooking. If I were to have an Etsy store I think I would sell pre-made pages and/or scrapbook albums in all sizes.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Board Games are the hobby I indulge in the most right now, my husband has also come along on this journey, so it's a lot of fun. We look for local game shops, we visited a couple board game cafes last summer when we took a trip to Cleveland and Canton. We're hoping to go again text weekend. We've accumulated a pretty great collection, and we're finally getting to the point that we're getting very picky about adding new games.

Crocheting is another one, I started this when Keira was sick, I don't pick it up a lot, I really have to be in the mood, hats are my strong point, but I've made stuffed animals, blankets, even a pretty big very hungry caterpillar I use at work as a prop with the food and I have the kids feed him during one our nutrition lessons.

I was a working photographer for about 9 years, that's what I went to college for, but I'll say it's a hobby now. It's more fun to pull out the camera when I want to instead of when I have to. I have a couple families I still take photos of professionally, but one I've been photographing since 2010. I love taking the photos, I just hate editing. I'm not great at that part and we didn't learn a ton of that in school, plus I'm lazy when it comes to learning new photoshop/lightroom tricks. LOL! These are the most recent photos I took of Keira for her 18th birthday/last round of Senior pictures.

Notice how I used two hobbies in one. LOL!

I love to try new recipes too.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
I do lots of coloring. There's a whole adult coloring community and coloring books for us that aren't "too childish". I love the peace and relaxation it gives me too.
Oh I would love to try! I love coloring and illustrating poetry for my kids or painting magic drawing (the one you only need water), it so relaxing to me so I guess I should love this!

I used to draw a lot before and writing. I thought of selling my service for writing but I'm too busy. I don't draw a lot now even for the same reasons. I hope later I could start again but I probably need to take some classes because I forget a lot.
I would love learning photography too.

So much talented ladies here's!
Old 06-01-2023, 09:36 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What a fun thread Lorie! It's so fun to learn a little more about our fellow-scrappers here @ SSD!!

I've recently started creating cards after a long hiatus, it's taken awhile to build up my "stash" again, but I'm getting there.

I also have a Cricut that I love to use and have created many customized signs, mugs, etc. I also make customized spiral notebooks with the help of the WRMK Cinch I purchased recently.

Of all of those other hobbies, digi scrapping is still my favorite passion!!
Old 06-01-2023, 10:38 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
Cookie decorating. It's less fun now that I'm back on my diet, and it's SO much work, but I still have fun when I do it.
I am always amazed at how detailed and beautiful a cookie can be. I don't think I have the patience or steady hand for it. LOL
Old 06-01-2023, 10:40 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
I enjoy making wreaths as a hobby, mostly for friends and family. I have told the girls that as a wedding gift, we will thrift or salvage a piece of furniture and redo it. My husband enjoys woodworking, so I think we could do some fun stuff! The closest I have done to this, is painting my daughter's dresser. It went ok, so I am willing to try more furniture pieces!
I love to make wreaths too, but I am not great at it. Redoing furniture is a lot of work, but you have the chance to create a great piece, as well as a great memory for your girls. I think it is a great idea for a wedding gift.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:49 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC1988 View Post
My other hobbies/crafts include sublimation and vinyl work on various things. I also enjoy woodworking with my grandpa as well.
I had a cutting machine given to me and really want to take some time to learn how to use it. There are so many fun things to do with vinyl and since my sister works for a company that produces it, it seems a shame not to get into the game. LOL

To be honest, woodworking scares me a bit. Power tools are not my friends.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:53 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post

Other than that, I write poetry ....I've often thought about offering "poetic" card prints on etsy. But also like you, I don't have the time.
I love that the make coloring books for adults. We grew up doing it and loving it, so why stop because we hit a certain age? I haven't tried it, but it is definitely going on my "when I retire" list.

I know about your poetry already; maybe you could try sumitting some "card" suitable stuff to greeting card companies. I know they take and pay for submissions that they use. Smaller companies would be your better bet because the larger ones are likely to have in house staff that does it.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have an app that I color on daily...it is stress relief
My other hobbies are reading...visiting bookstores and traveling.

I used to be a crafter...I worked for Stampin' Up and held classes on punch art and card making. It was fun but made a big mess and then I met digi scrapping and got rid of the paper crafts. My mom still does some stamping and card making.

The puppy, reindeer and mouse started off as paper pieced items that I scanned and edited for my kits when I was designing many years ago. I had a huge sketchbook with these creatures that I would do classes and projects.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:00 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalund View Post
This is a fun question...I think I might want to make a layout from my answer.

Growing up I did all the crafts with mom and Grandma.
We made hair scrunchies, friendship bracelets, wire rings, Christmas ornaments, puffy paint frames/tshirts...you name it, we made it.
My mom made my CPK doll clothes. When I called her from college asking her to make 100 sarong skirts for Rush, she said "no problem"! My first year in the dorms she made all 4 of us big, pillowy M&M costumes. Throughout the years she made lots of Halloween Costumes- princess dress, witch costume,
We have continued to make crafts together especially during the Holidays. We now kick off the Holiday Season at Sunshine Cabin making Christmas Ornaments. She would take the Kids for the weekend and always have a craft project planned. They liked to rock paint and paint canvases.
My Girls and I dabbled in making vinyl Starbucks cups when my middles daughter received a Cricut for Christmas. We have a cupboard full of supplies and cups now.

These days in addition to digi scrapbooking, I like Photography and traditional scrapbooking. If I were to have an Etsy store I think I would sell pre-made pages and/or scrapbook albums in all sizes.
I would have loved growing up in your house. I come from a non-crafty family, although my mom was known to do ceramics from time to time, and no one gets my need to create. And I have to teach myself everything! A little tutoring goes a long way. LOL

I dabbled in most of the crafts you mention and always made my son's Halloween costumes, and also made ornaments, etc to sell at the school craft fairs. I loved participating in that kind of stuff when and where I could.

These days, I try to get my family together for a craft day every three or four months and especially at Christmas time. They seem to enjoy it, but I have to plan it all out for them and go through it step by step with them. I am just glad they are willing to try.

When I become a grandma, I am going to take a page from your mom's book and teach my babies to craft from the get go.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:06 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Board Games are the hobby I indulge in the most right now, my husband has also come along on this journey, so it's a lot of fun. We look for local game shops, we visited a couple board game cafes last summer when we took a trip to Cleveland and Canton. We're hoping to go again text weekend. We've accumulated a pretty great collection, and we're finally getting to the point that we're getting very picky about adding new games.

Crocheting is another one, I started this when Keira was sick, I don't pick it up a lot, I really have to be in the mood, hats are my strong point, but I've made stuffed animals, blankets, even a pretty big very hungry caterpillar I use at work as a prop with the food and I have the kids feed him during one our nutrition lessons.

I was a working photographer for about 9 years, that's what I went to college for, but I'll say it's a hobby now. It's more fun to pull out the camera when I want to instead of when I have to. I have a couple families I still take photos of professionally, but one I've been photographing since 2010. I love taking the photos, I just hate editing. I'm not great at that part and we didn't learn a ton of that in school, plus I'm lazy when it comes to learning new photoshop/lightroom tricks. LOL! These are the most recent photos I took of Keira for her 18th birthday/last round of Senior pictures.

Notice how I used two hobbies in one. LOL!

I love to try new recipes too.
Board game are a lot of fun. You and your hubby would have fun with my son and his wife who are really into it as well. I like games, but I am not competitive, so I am kind of a dud to play with. LOL

Crocheting is the one thing I never tried. I did look at the instructions once and found them confusing, so that was it for me. I do knit, but not very often. LOL I would like to learn to crochet though because mug hats for my tier trays are expensive.

I wish I could take a decent photo. I suck at it, so editing is my friend. Being a good photographer is a talent in my opinion and I can see that you are very talented. I love those photos of Kiera.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:09 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap-therapy View Post
Oh I would love to try! I love coloring and illustrating poetry for my kids or painting magic drawing (the one you only need water), it so relaxing to me so I guess I should love this!

I used to draw a lot before and writing. I thought of selling my service for writing but I'm too busy. I don't draw a lot now even for the same reasons. I hope later I could start again but I probably need to take some classes because I forget a lot.

I wish I could draw, but I can't. Not even a straight line. When I create something from scratch for a kit, I don't draw. Instead I create with shapes and then manipulate the shapes. But to be able to just draw is a gift I wish I had. My son always says I am artistic and I always correct him. I am crafty, not artistic, and I think there is a big difference between the two.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

😂 maybe you should try some of the cooperative ones. Those are fun and everyone either wins or looses together. Our youngest loves those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
Board game are a lot of fun. You and your hubby would have fun with my son and his wife who are really into it as well. I like games, but I am not competitive, so I am kind of a dud to play with. LOL

Crocheting is the one thing I never tried. I did look at the instructions once and found them confusing, so that was it for me. I do knit, but not very often. LOL I would like to learn to crochet though because mug hats for my tier trays are expensive.

I wish I could take a decent photo. I suck at it, so editing is my friend. Being a good photographer is a talent in my opinion and I can see that you are very talented. I love those photos of Kiera.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:14 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
What a fun thread Lorie! It's so fun to learn a little more about our fellow-scrappers here @ SSD!!

I've recently started creating cards after a long hiatus, it's taken awhile to build up my "stash" again, but I'm getting there.

I also have a Cricut that I love to use and have created many customized signs, mugs, etc. I also make customized spiral notebooks with the help of the WRMK Cinch I purchased recently.

Of all of those other hobbies, digi scrapping is still my favorite passion!!
I think your cards are gorgeous. Do you use any digi supplies in your card making? When you say "stash" do you mean your card stash or your supply stash? LOL

That is what I have, a cricut. My cousin gave it to me after she won another one in a contest. I am going to learn how to use it and get some use out of it. When I do, I can also make little signs for my tier trays.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:20 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
I have an app that I color on daily...it is stress relief
My other hobbies are reading...visiting bookstores and traveling.

I used to be a crafter...I worked for Stampin' Up and held classes on punch art and card making. It was fun but made a big mess and then I met digi scrapping and got rid of the paper crafts. My mom still does some stamping and card making.

The puppy, reindeer and mouse started off as paper pieced items that I scanned and edited for my kits when I was designing many years ago. I had a huge sketchbook with these creatures that I would do classes and projects.

Now you have to share the app you use for coloring. I'm sure a lot of us could use some stress relief. LOL

I love to read and read at least a little bit every day. But I do it all on my ipad. No bookstores for me.

I loved to paper piece when I was doing traditional scrapbooking too. So much fun. I still like the look of paper pieced elements in digi. But I too, wanted to get away from the mess and the cost. Can't make mistakes in traditional scrapping like you can in digi. LOL

Your paper pieced critters are adorable.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I love that the make coloring books for adults. We grew up doing it and loving it, so why stop because we hit a certain age? I haven't tried it, but it is definitely going on my "when I retire" list.

I know about your poetry already; maybe you could try sumitting some "card" suitable stuff to greeting card companies. I know they take and pay for submissions that they use. Smaller companies would be your better bet because the larger ones are likely to have in house staff that does it.

Oh great idea. I'll research this one.
Yes I agree, I used to love to color, and apparently I still do. lol

Old 06-01-2023, 12:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap-therapy View Post

Yes you should check out coloring. I love it

Old 06-01-2023, 01:04 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

My hands are too shaky these days for actual coloring but I did enjoy using a coloring app for several years (Happy Color). I gave up on it because it was wonky on my current tablet, very slow and closing on me unexpectedly.

Instead I found a jigsaw app that I do to relax. I enjoy real jigsaw puzzles and usually work on them in December to keep the SAD to a minimum. And, right now all my tables have file folders on them from the church history project I'm working on with my cousin so no place to do puzzles!

I've done other crafty stuff in the past but again because of my shaky hands at this time not to mention the eyes not being what they used to be, those would be harder for me to do.

I do still have some traditional scrapbooking supplies and have gotten photos out of magnetic albums to 12x12 pages in the last few years. Very basic designs though! For those that know Creative Memories, I used a lot of paper borders, triangles, paper mats and alpha stickers.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am hooked on Happy Color (disney pages, daily pics, marvel etc)
I have also used one called cross stitch that looks like its name.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:02 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I dabble with different crafts but have to be in the mood to do them. I crochet and make wreaths and flower arrangements. My problem is that I love scrapping so much I don't do the other crafts as much!
Old 06-01-2023, 05:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

No crafts, but my hobby is fish keeping. I love having aquariums, setting them up, buying new fish... just watching my babies swim around. It's helping me with my mental health, but unfortunately it's expensive

Last edited by flergs; 06-01-2023 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:07 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Such a fun question Lorie! I actually love diamond painting. It's just so zen. I can turn on a podcast or music and just go for hours (assuming I have hours to spare which lately... not so much), but it is the ultimate for relaxing and clearing the mind because there isn't a whole lot of "thinking" behind it.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

7 or 8 years ago I think? I did pottery and i loved it soooo much but just like other hobbies it became too expensive (and timing didn't always work out) I wish I could have my own pottery wheel/kiln here at home because it really is such a zen hobby. I just finished listening to an audiobook last night (happy place by emily henry) and the main character in the book did pottery and it made me miss the feeling.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I also crochet and sew. The crocheting I do because I love it. I mostly make clothes, but sometimes I'll do amigurumi, blankets, baskets, or something that my daughter asks for (most recently a tote bag). I'm almost finished with a knee-length, warm cardigan and in a few days I'll start a lacy, summer-weight cardigan to wear over tank tops.

With sewing, I love the finished products more than the sewing itself. Playing with pretty fabrics is like playing with patterned papers, LOL! My kids tell me I have a "crippling bag addiction," and I mostly sew as one way to support that addiction. I make project bags for crocheting, small pouches to organize my purse, and other kinds of bags. Occasionally I sew something for the house or a gift like doll clothes for a niece.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:25 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Playing with pretty fabrics is like playing with patterned papers, LOL!
1000% totally same energy.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I bake cupcakes! I also do a lot of traditional paper cards- usually with stamps and dies. I dabble a bit in heat transfer vinyl- I've made a few shirts here & there! I'd love more time to devote to all my hobbies! Maybe one day when kids are grown and gone!
Old 06-01-2023, 10:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
1000% totally same energy.
Here as well which is why I quilt. Picking out and piecing pretty fabrics together is so much fun. And the beauty you can create is just amazing.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:52 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
I bake cupcakes! I also do a lot of traditional paper cards- usually with stamps and dies. I dabble a bit in heat transfer vinyl- I've made a few shirts here & there! I'd love more time to devote to all my hobbies! Maybe one day when kids are grown and gone!

Sounds like you will have an "empty nester" list of things you want to do that is like my "when I retire" list. lol And we have some of the same hobbies on it -- card making and heat transfers.

I've seen your beautiful cupcakes over the years. They always look delicious.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:18 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
My hands are too shaky these days for actual coloring but I did enjoy using a coloring app for several years (Happy Color). I gave up on it because it was wonky on my current tablet, very slow and closing on me unexpectedly.

Instead I found a jigsaw app that I do to relax. I enjoy real jigsaw puzzles and usually work on them in December to keep the SAD to a minimum. And, right now all my tables have file folders on them from the church history project I'm working on with my cousin so no place to do puzzles!

I've done other crafty stuff in the past but again because of my shaky hands at this time not to mention the eyes not being what they used to be, those would be harder for me to do.

I do still have some traditional scrapbooking supplies and have gotten photos out of magnetic albums to 12x12 pages in the last few years. Very basic designs though! For those that know Creative Memories, I used a lot of paper borders, triangles, paper mats and alpha stickers.
Your church history project sounds like something I would enjoy. I love genealogy and have been researching my family history for 20 years.

I also love puzzles, but I am more into word puzzle. Loving the daily Wordle from the NY Times. My kids and I play and then compare how we do. LOL
Old 06-02-2023, 10:18 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
I am hooked on Happy Color (disney pages, daily pics, marvel etc)
I have also used one called cross stitch that looks like its name.
Thanks for the info. I am going to look both up.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:20 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvelynD2 View Post
I dabble with different crafts but have to be in the mood to do them. I crochet and make wreaths and flower arrangements. My problem is that I love scrapping so much I don't do the other crafts as much!
Sounds like a good problem to have. LOL I am so pitiful at flower arranging. It really takes a good eye to make it all look good, natural and random. I am not so good at random. lol
Old 06-02-2023, 10:26 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergs View Post
No crafts, but my hobby is fish keeping. I love having aquariums, setting them up, buying new fish... just watching my babies swim around. It's helping me with my mental health, but unfortunately it's expensive

Aquariums are awesome. What is your favorite fish to raise? I have always thought the Black Molly was adorable.

My dad was a quadriplegic and absolutely loved having an aquarium, so we always had one for him, even in the hospital and nursing home. It gave him a lot of enjoyment, and peace, watching the fish. Other patients/residents used to gather in his room to watch them as well. It made him way more popular than he actually wanted to be. LOL

I think aquariums are beautiful and relaxing, but have always had trouble with getting the water ph correct, so after losing so many little friends, I decided it was not the hobby for me.

My son is an aquarium person too. He doesn't have one at the moment because they are getting ready to move, but he is planning to have one. I plan to enjoy his as much as I can.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:29 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
Such a fun question Lorie! I actually love diamond painting. It's just so zen. I can turn on a podcast or music and just go for hours (assuming I have hours to spare which lately... not so much), but it is the ultimate for relaxing and clearing the mind because there isn't a whole lot of "thinking" behind it.

That is gorgeous and a new one for me. I am going to have to check that out.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:34 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
7 or 8 years ago I think? I did pottery and i loved it soooo much but just like other hobbies it became too expensive (and timing didn't always work out) I wish I could have my own pottery wheel/kiln here at home because it really is such a zen hobby. I just finished listening to an audiobook last night (happy place by emily henry) and the main character in the book did pottery and it made me miss the feeling.
Well if you enjoyed it that much, it might be worth looking into how much the equipment you would need would cost. It could be an investment into another creative business and might be tax deductible. Every year, as a self employed person, I look for a big tax write off. LOL

My family and I like to go and paint pottery at a place in the area. We all pick a piece, sit around painting and gabbing and generally having a nice time. It is very relaxing if you let it be. Me, I worry too much about making it all perfect, what takes some of the zen out of it. LOL
Old 06-02-2023, 10:39 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I also crochet and sew. The crocheting I do because I love it. I mostly make clothes, but sometimes I'll do amigurumi, blankets, baskets, or something that my daughter asks for (most recently a tote bag). I'm almost finished with a knee-length, warm cardigan and in a few days I'll start a lacy, summer-weight cardigan to wear over tank tops.

With sewing, I love the finished products more than the sewing itself. Playing with pretty fabrics is like playing with patterned papers, LOL! My kids tell me I have a "crippling bag addiction," and I mostly sew as one way to support that addiction. I make project bags for crocheting, small pouches to organize my purse, and other kinds of bags. Occasionally I sew something for the house or a gift like doll clothes for a niece.
I love fabric as much as I love scrapbook papers. I have always had a secret dream to be a surface designer, but not the talent to actually do it. (Refer to the I can't draw for crap reply earlier in the post.)

Since I am always cold, I wear a cardigan to work every day, but could never imagine making one. That takes talent and I imagine it takes time and dedication as well.

If you learn how to crochet mug hats, you could start a business on etsy and I would be your first customer. LOL
Old 06-02-2023, 10:40 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

This post has given me so many things to admire about each of you! Everyone is so talented. It has also given me some new crafty things to look into.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:52 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Your church history project sounds like something I would enjoy. I love genealogy and have been researching my family history for 20 years.
Funny thing is that it didn't start out as a genealogy type project. It was more about pulling together all the various reports the church had made in its history since 1833. We wanted to all information into chronological order by year. Special things like building the new buildings would be on their own. Our plan was to also organize the files in one central file instead of the multiple areas they are kept in now.

My cousin is working on one part since she was the church librarian for many years. I began extracting info from files in another file cabinet and I ran into stuff that is genealogy related. So now my focus is thinking of going in that direction. I plan to talk to the pastor and see if he is OK with me doing this.

I know the local genealogy society would love to have the information. They have quite the collection built up much is donations of information from individuals.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:52 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
Funny thing is that it didn't start out as a genealogy type project. It was more about pulling together all the various reports the church had made in its history since 1833. We wanted to all information into chronological order by year. Special things like building the new buildings would be on their own. Our plan was to also organize the files in one central file instead of the multiple areas they are kept in now.

My cousin is working on one part since she was the church librarian for many years. I began extracting info from files in another file cabinet and I ran into stuff that is genealogy related. So now my focus is thinking of going in that direction. I plan to talk to the pastor and see if he is OK with me doing this.

I know the local genealogy society would love to have the information. They have quite the collection built up much is donations of information from individuals.
Oh, I hope he goes for it. It will be such a gift for anyone researching the area and families in it. I love historical and genealogy societies. And courthouse records and family bibles and anything that links us to our past.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Just digiscrap for me!! This is my passion!!
Old 06-02-2023, 03:10 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I tend to craft like crazy on a thing and then get bored and move to a new thing...I've done jewelry making, knitting, diamond painting, paper piecing, mosaics, but most have gone to the way side. I still do some Knitting but I am a starter of projects and not a finisher...
Old 06-02-2023, 04:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I think your cards are gorgeous. Do you use any digi supplies in your card making? When you say "stash" do you mean your card stash or your supply stash? LOL

That is what I have, a cricut. My cousin gave it to me after she won another one in a contest. I am going to learn how to use it and get some use out of it. When I do, I can also make little signs for my tier trays.
Thanks for the compliment, Lorie! Stash in meaning I had sold off all of my card making supplies at one point, so had to purchase all new "everything"! LOL!
I'm not expert, but if you have questions when you start using your Cricut, please let me know! I learned a lot by trial and error - mostly error at first - ha! I wanted to throw it out of the window after the first week, only to find out the blade was bad. After working with Cricut customer service, they sent a new one and things went perfect after that!
Old 06-03-2023, 10:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
Thanks for the compliment, Lorie! Stash in meaning I had sold off all of my card making supplies at one point, so had to purchase all new "everything"! LOL!
I'm not expert, but if you have questions when you start using your Cricut, please let me know! I learned a lot by trial and error - mostly error at first - ha! I wanted to throw it out of the window after the first week, only to find out the blade was bad. After working with Cricut customer service, they sent a new one and things went perfect after that!
Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind. My sister does know a bit since she works for a vinyl company, but she is not crafty at all. We did manage to make some tumblers with it during a family craft day, but it was stressful!
Old 06-03-2023, 10:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapcrazy View Post
I tend to craft like crazy on a thing and then get bored and move to a new thing...I've done jewelry making, knitting, diamond painting, paper piecing, mosaics, but most have gone to the way side. I still do some Knitting but I am a starter of projects and not a finisher...
LOL, I am so glad I finish things. I have to work at it until it is done. It's kind of nuts to be so driven and can take the joy and relaxation out of things at times, but it must be completed. LOL
Old 06-03-2023, 10:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Dixon View Post
Just digiscrap for me!! This is my passion!!
Nothing wrong with that at all!