Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Did you know...

that "Dixie Alley" NOT "Tornado Alley" gets the most dangerous and long-tracked tornadoes (E4-E5) than any other area in the country...and that most of those occur at night or early morning when people are asleep..and that Mississippi had more deaths in 2010 from tornadoes than any other state...and that I'm petrified of severe weather and tornadoes...and you know where I live??? Smack dab in the middle of "Dixie Alley"

okay...probably no one cares about that lol..but I just read this article and found it interesting/terrifying for me

http://www.clarionledger.com/article...+1950+hit+Miss

Can I move to Maine now? Do they have tornadoes in Maine? lol

Old 01-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i live in connecticut and we had a tornado not long ago - they are rare but they do happen. i would be scared too if i were you!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

VERY scary, Nikki!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i'd be petrified nikki. i HATE tornadoes

Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I'd be petrified too and want to move... I've only actually seen one tornado with my eyes and that was one too many... they scare the crap out of me.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I live in Eastern Kansas. Every time someone finds out I'm from Kansas, one of three things gets said:

1. A Wizard of Oz joke (I hate that movie!)
2. "Do you guys have to worry about Indians or getting scalped?" (I'm not kidding- people ask this SERIOUSLY. And mean it).

3. Wow. You must have a lot of tornadoes.

You know what? I have seen tornadoes. But most of them I've seen while OUT of the state than in it. I have seen 1 tornado in Kansas (though, there was another I didn't see that hit nearby). But I've seen 1 in New York City, 2 in Alabama (plus non-tornadic waterspouts), and 2 in Missouri.

Minnesota has gotten more tornadoes than Kansas in recent years. I'm not kidding!

Sorry that you have to deal with tornadoes. It's no fun, and they are pretty panic-inducing.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I'd {want to} move too!!! I hate storms!! I totally want to find a spot where there are no tornados and it snow very little... oh, and not earthquakes or hurricanes... is there such a place?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Wow, I had no idea Nikki. That is quite scary! I watch Storm Chasers occasionally and that scares me to death every time, I can't imagine actually being there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Oh, I'd {want to} move too!!! I hate storms!! I totally want to find a spot where there are no tornados and it snow very little... oh, and not earthquakes or hurricanes... is there such a place?
Portland, Oregon
Old 01-04-2011, 03:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well best you just come live here in New Zealand. We don't have tornadoes here. Well OK, maybe 1 or 2 really little ones that might lift the roof of an old house or two max, but that's it. They're REALLY rare here.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
AZ. But you're gonna melt in the summer!

That's really scary, Nikki. I could never move to a tornado state. I'd die of anxiety anytime there was a warning.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've always told Adam if he gets stationed somewhere there are tornadoes, he can go alone. Even in Colorado Springs we had a few tornado warnings and that was more than enough for me.

Quote:
Aww, earthquakes aren't even that bad. The thing that freaks me out about tornadoes is that people who've lived with them all their life are still terrified of them. I grew up in CA in a town literally right on a fault line and no one really even thought twice about earthquakes. Maybe it's because there aren't all these warnings and anticipation like with tornadoes?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

We get quite a few warnings here in Michigan, but not really very many actual tornadoes.. I used to live in Kansas (when I was a kid) and I remember one time we had a tornado that came down our street, and I remember my mom standing at the top of the basement stairs watching it start to come down our street. Then it jumped and trashed the houses a street over. I have been terrified of them ever since.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I hate tornados!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am in tornado alley and have been my whole life. I don't get so scared anymore. Well, if everyone is home, I don't get scared. If there is a family member that is out somewhere then I totally freak out and my imagination gets the best of me.

Nikki......sorry you are in a more dangerous part of the states. ((HUGS)) Maybe at the new house one of the rooms can be a safe room or you can have a huge shelter? That is my plan when we build (whenever that might be!).
Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's scary..we had a round New Year's Eve that were pretty bad and I was up all night with them...3 touchdowns in surrounding counties. And we don't really have a "season" for them..they're worse in the fall and spring but we can have them any time of year .

The thing in the South is that most houses don't have basements here (some do but that's not the norm)..so unless you have a tornado shelter..you just have to hunker down and pray. I've gotten worse with the anxiety over them since having kids. I try not to let them see it but inside I am usually FREAKING out.

When we were first married we lived in a suburb of Jackson and had an EF5 touch down in a neighborhood about 20 miles from us..we drove out there the next day and it was one of those neighborhoods with the really big 4-5 bedroom 2 story house..you know..very well built homes. Well there was about a 4 mile stretch where the only thing left was the slabs...the houses were completely gone. I think that image itself really doubled my anxiety about bad weather..b/c if it's a tornado that big...not much can stand in its way.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

You are soooo not alone! I'm in Central Arkansas and yes....we get our fair share of tornados! They told us the other day on the news that tornados are worse in the winter months than spring. Really?!?!?! I don't care when they come, I don't like 'em!!!! I guess we'll all just hunker down for a busy season coming up.

Melanie
Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I am just like you -- absolutely terrified of tornadoes. I live in MN and we had a record number of tornadoes this year -- I think the most in the country if I'm remembering correctly. I swear there was severe weather every single day this summer. I was a wreck and begged and pleaded with my husband to find a job in a state that doesn't experience tornadoes. I am deathly afraid of them.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
Wow, I had no idea Nikki. That is quite scary! I watch Storm Chasers occasionally and that scares me to death every time, I can't imagine actually being there!

Portland, Oregon
Julie - my husband is looking for a job in Portland after the year of weather we had here.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by msteiner99 View Post
Julie - my husband is looking for a job in Portland after the year of weather we had here.
They just had a EF-2 tornado touch down in Oregon about two weeks ago or so. NO place is SAFE! But Portland/PNW is such a beautiful place!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
They just had a EF-2 tornado touch down in Oregon about two weeks ago or so. NO place is SAFE! But Portland/PNW is such a beautiful place!
I heard about that, but tornadoes are rare there so I think I could handle it. We had over 100 just during the summer months in 2010. I could handle a few severe storms, but the every day stuff makes my anxiety go through the roof.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to g6scrapped

Quote:
I am just like you -- absolutely terrified of tornadoes. I live in MN and we had a record number of tornadoes this year -- I think the most in the country if I'm remembering correctly. I swear there was severe weather every single day this summer. I was a wreck and begged and pleaded with my husband to find a job in a state that doesn't experience tornadoes. I am deathly afraid of them.
I think we were in a constant tornado watch/warning all summer this year! (from MN too)

Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I hate bad storms so badly!!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

My fiance wants us to move to Portland...

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I like the Portland area. A few years I wouldn't have said it was a good idea to move to Portland though. Our costs were so high, especially for houses, that it was just insane to move into the area. But the economy just ripped up Oregon and our housing values have gone way down. For instance, my house went down $60,000 in value over the last 2 years. And I don't have an expensive house either. So it is totally a buyers market here. However, the unemployment is just brutal here. Oregon is the 6th worst state to live in for that, our unemployment is 10.6%. My hubby has been job searching for a long time. There are just so many applicants for every job.

Best of luck to your husband in his search!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:24 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yes, there was that freak one in Aumsville, that is towards Salem, Oregon. It was so odd to have that happen! Nobody was hurt thankfully!

I'd worry more about Mount St. Helens erupting than a tornado. And you couldn't pay me to live on Mount Tabor here in Portland. LOL... it's an extinct volcano cone, but I've paid Sim City 2000 where it erupts on the town. That permanently messed with me. LOL
Old 01-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Another Minnesotan here and yes! Tornado weather makes me twitchy. We actually had a tornado touch down not far from our house (although we owned it at the time, we were not living here yet) - now THAT freaked me out. Thankfully we are equipped with an older home with an AWESOME windowless basement!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
that "Dixie Alley" NOT "Tornado Alley" gets the most dangerous and long-tracked tornadoes (E4-E5) than any other area in the country...and that most of those occur at night or early morning when people are asleep..and that Mississippi had more deaths in 2010 from tornadoes than any other state...and that I'm petrified of severe weather and tornadoes...and you know where I live??? Smack dab in the middle of "Dixie Alley"

okay...probably no one cares about that lol..but I just read this article and found it interesting/terrifying for me

http://www.clarionledger.com/article...+1950+hit+Miss

Can I move to Maine now? Do they have tornadoes in Maine? lol
It is TOTALLY scary - my worst fear is something like that striking at night, it's horrifying that most of those occur when people are sleeping.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
New Mexico

Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I grew up in Oklahoma, so I totally understand it. I remember a tornado touching down once while my dad was umpiring a baseball game and we were at home. We watched it out the huge picture window. It was the most incredible thing I've ever seen in my life. My dad was FURIOUS when he got home and heard what we did. It was a bit away, but it was still quite a stupid thing to do. But amazing.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

wow. i hate tornadoes too. i live in north central indiana. we get them but i've been lucky to not have been really affected too much. the fact that they are more likely to come at night down there is very scary. i'd move lmao.