Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-19-2020, 05:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Weekly Chatter: 4/19 to 4/25

Another week in the life of quarantining....

I went for a long walk this morning. Walked about 5.5 miles. I'm finding it super therapeutic.

I've got dinner in the slow cooker. I need to start some laundry but I'm catching up on last night's LivePD instead.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Wow that's a LONG walk!! Yay you!!

What's for dinner in your slow cooker? Sunday's are my day off and I don't cook. We have leftovers. So I'll live through you!

Last week got away from me, as far as chatter, but I think we are slowly finding our grove with this phase II of the kids digital learning.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Chicken for burritos. I order spices from a company called A Spice Above. I put a package of Tango Taco and a package of Western Ranch in a slow cooker with chicken (usually breasts but I used cutlets today), chicken broth and at the end I'll throw in some sour cream. Shred the chicken and we use it in burritos. The kids LOVE this chicken. I was out of the two spices for a month or two so I ordered some last week and they arrived today. The ladies are localish so they don't take long to get here. My kids are going to have happy bellies tonight. lol

Old 04-19-2020, 07:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

OMG long weekend. Glad to be off for a couple days.

Looking forward to doing some scrapping and some designing

Old 04-19-2020, 10:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Same old same old. Nothing really new here! We are in charge of Forgotten Harvest (Food bank) distribution at our Church. We had our 1st one since this whole thing started, on Friday. We got 2 semi's (we've never gotten 2 before). We usually only have around 50 families, but I believe we had close to 150. We had some left overs, but it was only our first time! The only downside, it was a wet, cold rain...and we had to do it all outside! We were wet and frozen by the time it was over. But so glad we could help so many families. We will be doing it each week for who knows how long.

Still no distance learning for our kids. There aren't enough computers in teh schools to give to those without one. Instead they are going to pass out packets (or you can download/print them yourself). That starts in 2 Mondays. It still won't be for a grade, but it will be extra practice for the girls to keep them active. Hoping that helps. They suggest 1 page of 2 subjects each day. We'll see how it goes!
Old 04-20-2020, 01:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well, I had to take my mom to the ER on Saturday. She does not have covid, so that's the good news, but she does have AFib. She fought being admitted to the hospital, but thankfully the doctors made her see reason!! She will add blood thinners and heart meds to her (very long) list of medicines when she comes home. She may be on oxygen as well.
Our shower glass is being installed today!! YAY! They had mis-measured, so that added another week or so to the timeline.
I'm still unpacking and trying to get our house in order.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What day is it again?!?! I'm at that point, where all days are seemingly running together. I am still trying to have some sort of "real life" aka: getting dressed! So far we've resorted to at home haircuts, and I'm on my way to Lowe's to pick up a lumber order to build some shelves in my closet (I'm sure hubby loves the idea of me doing projects without supervision, LOL). I've got some other projects lined up to do as well. Overall being home is still a challenge, but we're getting a system down. I've told the kids as long as they get their work done by noon each day, they won't have to do school in the afternoons. That gives me plenty of time to get work done as well.
I ordered a new laptop and am working on getting that set up. Including upgrading from CS5 to the creative suite. Hoping to get to try to do some scrapping. Also been teaching myself how to use Inkscape to make some cutting files for Cricut.
We've tried out several new recipes so far, my middle daughter, loves cooking, so I hand her a cookbook and tell her to plan dinner. Last week she made Pioneer Woman Hawaiian Cheeseburgers and homemade fries for 8 of us! She did a really good job, and it was nice switching things up and doing something different.

Tammy, glad your mom listened to the Dr and doesn't have COVID, that has to be a relief (in a way).
Old 04-21-2020, 09:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
Chicken for burritos. I order spices from a company called A Spice Above. I put a package of Tango Taco and a package of Western Ranch in a slow cooker with chicken (usually breasts but I used cutlets today), chicken broth and at the end I'll throw in some sour cream. Shred the chicken and we use it in burritos. The kids LOVE this chicken. I was out of the two spices for a month or two so I ordered some last week and they arrived today. The ladies are localish so they don't take long to get here. My kids are going to have happy bellies tonight. lol
That sounds DELICIOUS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabobaura View Post
OMG long weekend. Glad to be off for a couple days.

Looking forward to doing some scrapping and some designing
Yay for some time off!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Same old same old. Nothing really new here! We are in charge of Forgotten Harvest (Food bank) distribution at our Church. We had our 1st one since this whole thing started, on Friday. We got 2 semi's (we've never gotten 2 before). We usually only have around 50 families, but I believe we had close to 150. We had some left overs, but it was only our first time! The only downside, it was a wet, cold rain...and we had to do it all outside! We were wet and frozen by the time it was over. But so glad we could help so many families. We will be doing it each week for who knows how long.

Still no distance learning for our kids. There aren't enough computers in teh schools to give to those without one. Instead they are going to pass out packets (or you can download/print them yourself). That starts in 2 Mondays. It still won't be for a grade, but it will be extra practice for the girls to keep them active. Hoping that helps. They suggest 1 page of 2 subjects each day. We'll see how it goes!
That's awesome about how many families came out to Forgotten Harvest! I had seen it was cold and snowy for you all. Bless you for being outside the entire time, enduring the winter elements while ministering to those families!

Good luck with the distance learning!
Old 04-21-2020, 09:25 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Well, I had to take my mom to the ER on Saturday. She does not have covid, so that's the good news, but she does have AFib. She fought being admitted to the hospital, but thankfully the doctors made her see reason!! She will add blood thinners and heart meds to her (very long) list of medicines when she comes home. She may be on oxygen as well.
Our shower glass is being installed today!! YAY! They had mis-measured, so that added another week or so to the timeline.
I'm still unpacking and trying to get our house in order.
I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, but am so thankful it is not the virus!!! Praying for her as she comes home with new challenges for her and your family!

Yay for getting the shower door installed!! That's awesome. One more thing checked off on your list!! You'll be completely unpacked in no time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaT View Post
What day is it again?!?! I'm at that point, where all days are seemingly running together. I am still trying to have some sort of "real life" aka: getting dressed! So far we've resorted to at home haircuts, and I'm on my way to Lowe's to pick up a lumber order to build some shelves in my closet (I'm sure hubby loves the idea of me doing projects without supervision, LOL). I've got some other projects lined up to do as well. Overall being home is still a challenge, but we're getting a system down. I've told the kids as long as they get their work done by noon each day, they won't have to do school in the afternoons. That gives me plenty of time to get work done as well.
I ordered a new laptop and am working on getting that set up. Including upgrading from CS5 to the creative suite. Hoping to get to try to do some scrapping. Also been teaching myself how to use Inkscape to make some cutting files for Cricut.
We've tried out several new recipes so far, my middle daughter, loves cooking, so I hand her a cookbook and tell her to plan dinner. Last week she made Pioneer Woman Hawaiian Cheeseburgers and homemade fries for 8 of us! She did a really good job, and it was nice switching things up and doing something different.
Oh be careful with those shelves--we had a shelving mishap earlier this weekend and I'm still sore

Inkscape....what is that? I just set up our Cricut this weekend, but realized I needed a longer cord to plug it in to the computer, so Im waiting until that gets delivered.

How did your home haircuts turn out?
I cut my daughter's mullet that she was growing. I was SO nervous, but figured anything was better than nothing! I also discovered that I'm very thankful I didn't become a hairdresser, because cutting her hair killed my carpel tunnel. But I got her hair cut and it looks nice!

Eek, upgrading from CS5 to CC--you'll have to come back and let me know how that goes. I'm on CS5 and refuse to upgrade, partly due to the cost and the other part is because every program has their own learning curve and I don't want to learn CC!

That's awesome about trying new recipes! We've been doing that as well. Most have been good, some have been awful. But hey, the kids are participating and cooking with me so it's a win-win for me!
Old 04-21-2020, 09:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

presently working on Introduction to Autism, have done first two modules, will do 3 and 4 today.

Have a meeting in 5 minutes so we can go over our list of students who are not engaging, have become disengaged so we can divide and conquer, see what we can do to help them succeed, become engaged.

Once work is done for the morning I will do some laundry, maybe bake then go back to work for bit this afternoon reaching out to students I contacted last week to follow up.

Yucky weather here today so we are in the house all day.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
presently working on Introduction to Autism, have done first two modules, will do 3 and 4 today.

Have a meeting in 5 minutes so we can go over our list of students who are not engaging, have become disengaged so we can divide and conquer, see what we can do to help them succeed, become engaged.

Once work is done for the morning I will do some laundry, maybe bake then go back to work for bit this afternoon reaching out to students I contacted last week to follow up.

Yucky weather here today so we are in the house all day.
First of all, LOVE your siggy!

Secondly, good luck on your meeting. I love that you are all getting together to help those who are struggling!!

Today I'm teaching my 7-year old how to do laundry. He knows which buttons to push, but part of his "reading", he's going to learn WHAT buttons he's actually pushing as well as help his mama with the laundry

Sorry you are having crummy weather. I hope it clears up and you get to see sunshine soon!

Good luck at your meeting!
Old 04-21-2020, 10:00 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Oooooooooh chicken burritos...makes me miss meat

I've stayed home from work for the last couple of days. I'd get sent home from our associate health screenings for a week if I went in anyway. So I'm catching up on a lot of TV...sleep and Sims. You'd think I'd scrap, but reading and scrapping seemed to have escaped my joy centers.

Talked with my mama, and she's doing good. The property and my cabin are awaiting us...my brother bought a cabin kit and he and my boys are going to have a man-cabin, which they are so excited about. Every day I am more and more eager to move and get started on this off-grid homestead journey. And hopefully have the desire to scrap it.

Proudly creating for Traci Reed Happy Creator for Studio Basic Designs
Creative Guest for Kristin Cronin-Barrow Feb-Mar

GALLERY | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
Old 04-21-2020, 02:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_hart View Post
Every day I am more and more eager to move and get started on this off-grid homestead journey. And hopefully have the desire to scrap it.
Wow, Amy, you are brave! Is this a place you will go for weekends or a full-time off-the-grid place to live? It is exciting to be building a cabin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Well, I had to take my mom to the ER on Saturday. She does not have covid, so that's the good news, but she does have AFib. She fought being admitted but the docs made her see reason.
So sorry your Mom is in the hospital and having more health issues, Tammy. Glad you are there to help.
Moving is so much work, glad it's coming along!

My sister is moving from out of state to town. Everything came together with the house they are buying. Yay! She will be only 5 minutes away from me! My sister, brother-in-law and niece will live with us for a month until they take possession of their house. We went from empty nesters in the fall to a full house - 8 here now with our two college students home, MIL moved here in January after a stroke and now my sister's family will be here for a month.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sunday was Easter. . .again! This time Orthodox Easter. We celebrate both in my house, but since I had just cooked a huge meal last weekend, I picked up buy-one-take-ones from Olive Garden. YUM! And so easy. I loved that!

Tammy, I hope your mother is doing better.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

lynn- i love me some olive garden!

Old 04-21-2020, 09:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
My sister is moving from out of state to town. Everything came together with the house they are buying. Yay! She will be only 5 minutes away from me! My sister, brother-in-law and niece will live with us for a month until they take possession of their house. We went from empty nesters in the fall to a full house - 8 here now with our two college students home, MIL moved here in January after a stroke and now my sister's family will be here for a month.
WOAH! That's a big change! I love family togetherness, but my husband would go insane. I love our life abroad, but I deeply mourn missing out on living life close to our families.

Our lockdown keeps getting stricter. We now have one Food & Medicine Pass per household, and only one pass holder can be out at a time. This week they've started coding us so that if your card ends with an even number, you can go out MWF & odd numbers can go out TTS. And they've grouped us according to where we live so that we can't go shopping outside of our cluster. It doesn't really affect me because I don't like to leave the house, but I also don't like the govt telling me where I can go!
Old 04-22-2020, 02:28 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
that sounds really good, we did Enchiladas yesterday. I made them with the vegan version of ground meat but sometimes we eat a little meat and your "recipe" inspired me to try something similar für our next mexican meal.

I do a lot more new recipes lately. My son (18 month old ) loves to help or watch and so it is a fun activity inside the house.
We luckily have good weather this week so we do a lot of outside activities as well. Lots of gardening and playing with the dogs.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:32 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post

Today I'm teaching my 7-year old how to do laundry. He knows which buttons to push, but part of his "reading", he's going to learn WHAT buttons he's actually pushing as well as help his mama with the laundry
perfect way to put teaching and doing housework together ;-)
Old 04-23-2020, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Oh be careful with those shelves--we had a shelving mishap earlier this weekend and I'm still sore

Inkscape....what is that? I just set up our Cricut this weekend, but realized I needed a longer cord to plug it in to the computer, so Im waiting until that gets delivered.

How did your home haircuts turn out?
I cut my daughter's mullet that she was growing. I was SO nervous, but figured anything was better than nothing! I also discovered that I'm very thankful I didn't become a hairdresser, because cutting her hair killed my carpel tunnel. But I got her hair cut and it looks nice!

Eek, upgrading from CS5 to CC--you'll have to come back and let me know how that goes. I'm on CS5 and refuse to upgrade, partly due to the cost and the other part is because every program has their own learning curve and I don't want to learn CC!

That's awesome about trying new recipes! We've been doing that as well. Most have been good, some have been awful. But hey, the kids are participating and cooking with me so it's a win-win for me!
So the shelves turned out pretty good, definitely not perfect. It's been forever since I did any kind of project like that. But they're all installed and will work for what they are. lol My oldest daughter gets to take woodshop as one of her 7th grade electives, so she was pretty happy to get to help out and use the tools.
Sorry to hear about your mishap.

Inkscape is a free software that will make vector images. There's a learning curve for sure. But if you've noticed in Cricut that the fonts, especially script can be difficult to get connected properly, it helps with that, because it doesn't split the letters apart. I orginally got it to do text files to cut, but I'm trying to use this home time to learn some more. It's challenging for sure. I've had my Cricut for about a year, and go through spurts where I use it alot and then don't use it at all (I've done a lot of shirts, some tumblers, a couple stickers for hubby). I wish we had more space so I could just leave everything set up all the time. But our house is TINY and we have a 1/2 dozen kids and a couple unruly dogs, so it's almost impossible to leave my crafting projects out.

Home haircuts, there are mixed reviews. The girls love theirs, I cut about 8 inches off each of theirs. And then let them trim up their own bangs (they LOVED that freedom). The boys were easy, they don't complain about their hair as long as it's not shaggy and looking like orphans. Hubby...well lets see, the quote I'll never forget ever "Seriously, you cut off my sideburns, do you even know what I look like?!? Have you ever gone somewhere with a bad haircut?!"" Apparently I wasn't supposed to go to the top of the ear with the sideburns, only 1/2 way...

I've done a little bit of work in CC so it won't be completely new. I have CC at work and use it to make our office posters, etc. I have been watching some tutorials so that I can get better, because I don't use it nearly enough. Usually I just scrap in PS and do my photo edits solely in Lightroom. But trying to branch out and get better at my craft. Before CS5 I had only used PSE, that took some getting used to for sure. I am really trying to get back into photography part time, which I have put on the back burner since my divorce in 2013. Moving to a new state and all that, put a big damper on my creativity and not knowing anyone here made it seem almost impossible to start up again. But finally at a place in life where it's possible and even encouraged to do my thing.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Our lockdown keeps getting stricter. We now have one Food & Medicine Pass per household, and only one pass holder can be out at a time. This week they've started coding us so that if your card ends with an even number, you can go out MWF & odd numbers can go out TTS. And they've grouped us according to where we live so that we can't go shopping outside of our cluster. It doesn't really affect me because I don't like to leave the house, but I also don't like the govt telling me where I can go!
Woah! Sounds like they are taking it pretty seriously. We don't like to really go out, other than to places where people aren't really at anyways, like into the mountains or the lakes, but they have a lot of that type of recreation on lockdown here. But we can go to Wal-Mart if we shopped there.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This whole mess is one step forward ten steps back for me. Just when I feel like I'v got it together something goes wrong and I'm back to square one.

The hardest is my 8th grader and his assignments. Today he had to do an audio recording of himself clapping along to note prompts on a video his teacher did. Super easy, right? Nope. He started over 9878748 times, threw the phone he was recording with, screamed, hollered and acted like a fool. Finally I sat down with my phone and the laptop and told him I was recording it and we were sending whatever we ended up with. He got through it. The whole video was 6 minutes, his recorded part about 5. It shouldn't have taken nearly 2 hours. I may lose my mind.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
Yay that's awesome that they will be so close to you all once they are settled in their new home! I bet your home is busting at the seams having everyone and additions in the home. Hopefully it's going well

Quote:
WOAH! That's a big change! I love family togetherness, but my husband would go insane. I love our life abroad, but I deeply mourn missing out on living life close to our families.

I saw that with your FB post!! I was telling my girls and showing them your pass
Old 04-23-2020, 04:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
So the shelves turned out pretty good, definitely not perfect. It's been forever since I did any kind of project like that. But they're all installed and will work for what they are. lol My oldest daughter gets to take woodshop as one of her 7th grade electives, so she was pretty happy to get to help out and use the tools.
Sorry to hear about your mishap.
That's awesome about the shelves and getting your oldest to use the tools with you!! That's pretty awesome. I really loved reading that!

Quote:
Inkscape is a free software that will make vector images. There's a learning curve for sure. But if you've noticed in Cricut that the fonts, especially script can be difficult to get connected properly, it helps with that, because it doesn't split the letters apart. I orginally got it to do text files to cut, but I'm trying to use this home time to learn some more. It's challenging for sure. I've had my Cricut for about a year, and go through spurts where I use it alot and then don't use it at all (I've done a lot of shirts, some tumblers, a couple stickers for hubby). I wish we had more space so I could just leave everything set up all the time. But our house is TINY and we have a 1/2 dozen kids and a couple unruly dogs, so it's almost impossible to leave my crafting projects out.
Yeah, I noticed that about cutting letters. I cut out "Colorado" and it all was in pieces! I'll have to check out Inkscape and see if it helps with the Cricut!

With our shelving mishap, we moved everything around which actually gave me more space. I picked up another 6ft folding table, which the girls will use as their craft table and where the cricut is now sitting! My cricut's usb doesn't reach the computer, so I'm waiting for an extension USB cord to arrive later next week.

Quote:
Home haircuts, there are mixed reviews. The girls love theirs, I cut about 8 inches off each of theirs. And then let them trim up their own bangs (they LOVED that freedom). The boys were easy, they don't complain about their hair as long as it's not shaggy and looking like orphans. Hubby...well lets see, the quote I'll never forget ever "Seriously, you cut off my sideburns, do you even know what I look like?!? Have you ever gone somewhere with a bad haircut?!"" Apparently I wasn't supposed to go to the top of the ear with the sideburns, only 1/2 way...
I have to chuckle a little with your phrase! That's great that the girls loved their haircut and that you let them cut their bangs! If I did that, my girls would buzz cut their hair they are that sick of growing their hair out.

Quote:
I've done a little bit of work in CC so it won't be completely new. I have CC at work and use it to make our office posters, etc. I have been watching some tutorials so that I can get better, because I don't use it nearly enough. Usually I just scrap in PS and do my photo edits solely in Lightroom. But trying to branch out and get better at my craft. Before CS5 I had only used PSE, that took some getting used to for sure. I am really trying to get back into photography part time, which I have put on the back burner since my divorce in 2013. Moving to a new state and all that, put a big damper on my creativity and not knowing anyone here made it seem almost impossible to start up again. But finally at a place in life where it's possible and even encouraged to do my thing.
I thought you had a side-gig with photography! I remember reading (or maybe seeing) something about it! I hope you can get back in the business and be successful in your new area!!
Old 04-23-2020, 04:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
This whole mess is one step forward ten steps back for me. Just when I feel like I'v got it together something goes wrong and I'm back to square one.

The hardest is my 8th grader and his assignments. Today he had to do an audio recording of himself clapping along to note prompts on a video his teacher did. Super easy, right? Nope. He started over 9878748 times, threw the phone he was recording with, screamed, hollered and acted like a fool. Finally I sat down with my phone and the laptop and told him I was recording it and we were sending whatever we ended up with. He got through it. The whole video was 6 minutes, his recorded part about 5. It shouldn't have taken nearly 2 hours. I may lose my mind.
Yikes, I'm so sorry! We have been doing this with my daughter's guitar. They are having an online concert next month and they have to record themselves playing. My daughter has been trying ALL week, but she gets so upset that it's not happening. Earlier this morning we were working on it and she got so upset. Like your kiddos, her's is just a 2-minute song! She's just beating herself up trying to make it perfect.

I'm sorry your kiddo was struggling today. Tomorrow's Friday. Then we ALL have the weekend to recoup from the stresses of digital/distance learning!
Old 04-23-2020, 04:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
WOAH!
Are the numbers there warranting that level of measure? This is my concern... if the numbers warrant it, I understand. If they do not, I fear govt officials getting big heads and thinking they can control everyone. I forget which country you are in.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm sorry your kiddo was struggling today. Tomorrow's Friday. Then we ALL have the weekend to recoup from the stresses of digital/distance learning!
I'd like to think we have the weekend, but if it is like last weekend, he will be working to do makeup work from things he didn't get done during the week. I'm not pushing it too much but I am insisting he keep up with his core classes. Choir is supposed to be fun for him. He doesn't want to do it but I am insisting. He made Music Company for next year which is the high school's competition choir. I want him to show the choir director that he is continuing to take it seriously.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

All of your posts about the stress of school is making me so thankful my kids are older. I have 2 left in college and they work independently. Wishing all of you calm and easy days, light loads and cooperative kids. I homeschooled 1 to 4 kids for 12 years, so I understand. So hard!

Kellie, your restrictions sound awful! We don't go out much, but it's nice to know we can! My uncle is in Mexico, and they are not permitted to go outside except to go the grocery store. Feeling like we have a lot of freedom here.