Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Can you tell me about the Kindle?

My mama saw an ad for one, and was asking my a bunch of questions about it, and I have no idea! lol - so I told her I know a bunch of girls who have one, and I'd ask around on here for her. She kinda wants one, but isn't sure if it'd be worth it or not. She reads like crazy, and she'll read almost anything. Every time I go visit her, I always try to bring her new books (she doesn't get out very often, and getting to the library is a pain for her). I'm constantly hitting up garage sales, lol, and will buy entire boxes of books, hoping to find a few she hasn't read, and lately I've even been printing entire blogs for her to read, as she's not very good with computers and doesn't get on very often. She's also a very fast reader, and will read a book a day, sometimes more.

So, one of her biggest questions was, are there any kind of subscriptions available, where you can read many books for a set price, or monthly/yearly fee? The way she goes through books, even though they're fairly cheaper to buy on the kindle, she still wouldn't wanna pay per book, it'd just be too expensive.

Also, can you read blogs and stuff on a Kindle? I know there are a bunch more blogs she'd be interested in reading daily, but she gets overwhelmed on the computer...

So, would you girls give me some input on this? Is there a better reader(<---I don't know what the general term for them is lol) out there, that she might like better?

lol, also I've recently become a member of swaptree, hoping to swap out some of the many we've read and get a bunch of new ones, but it's not going very fast
Old 07-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I loove my kindle.
You can read blogs on the kindle, but not all and there is a monthly fee for most(.99 or $1.99 or so it seems).

there are no subscription plans for the kindle where you can get masses of books, but they have lots of free books and you can get just about all the classics for free as well. I buy bundles from my favorite authors to save even more(a lot of the time they will bundle a trilogy, etc)
Old 07-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh, target does carry the kindle now, so that might be a good place to check em out. Barnes and Noble has the nook, but I found it more costly than the kindle, but it is another option
Old 07-24-2010, 12:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My hubby just got a kindle for his birthday last month... he didn't know if he would like it or not and really hem and haud about it for a long time. I finally just got him one and he LOVES it!! Books are about $10 each, I think.

I just heard of a site, not sure where I did... booksfree.com... it works like netflicks... you subscribe for a monthly fee and they send you books, read and send back... I thought it was a bit pricy, but if you mama reads that much, it will probably pay for itself!

ETA... oh, my hubby looked at the other readers... he didn't like what he heard about the sony... and it came down between the nook and the kindle, and he decided on the kindle. It was cheaper and more availability in books, I guess.

Last edited by MamaBee; 07-24-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also saw on Amazon that you can download the readers for free. You can do it(along with several titles) onto your computer to see if you like the format, navigation, how books are downloaded, etc. You may want to give that a try before taking the plunge!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

lol, yes, my mom is a book addict. Sometimes when I don't have any books to bring her, I stop at walmart and grab a few $6 paperbacks, just to give her something - one time I showed up with a random book I just grabbed off the shelf, and she was in the middle of reading it when I showed up - someone else had brought it to her that morning! She reads anything, from Isaac Asimov to Harlequin romances and everything in between.

So, is it newer titles that are about $10? I see you said some classics can be gotten for free, Jennifer, but do you know like random prices? For books that have been out a while, are they cheaper than say the new James Patterson titles?

I do think it's a great idea, and would be good for her - she'd have an almost never-ending supply of books right in her hand. We just don't want it to get too pricey for her. If she were to get it, do you ladies know if you can buy like a gift card or something that us kids could buy for her to give her some money towards buying books on the kindle? Or would we just have to give her money to put on her own credit card? lol, is that how it works, you give your cc info, and when you buy books it charges them per book?

Also, do you have any idea, or a rough number of how many books are free?

Thanks girls for the input. I'd love to find a cheap solution to keeping her in a constant book supply
Old 07-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love my Kindle. They have a daily post that pops up that talks about new subscriptions available, new books out at a really reduced price for a short term, etc. I recently went thru Amazon kindle section and sorted books by lowest price in the areas I wanted to read, so I could get some cheap ones for my kindle. Also I'm liking Swagbucks to get Amazon gift cards to help pay for new books too. I've just gotten so spoiled with the handiness of it that I now can't even read a physical book anymore

Old 07-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

You might want to check with her local library as well. I've spoken with our librarians, and they have a LARGE amount of e-books available for the Nook, but none for the Kindle (they said Amazon was very proprietary with them, so they were not able to get them for loaning out).
That alone made me lean towards the Nook (which might be my Christmas gift unless DH manages to get me a DSLR)
Old 07-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I just got a Kindle for my birthday. I've been wanting one for 2 years now. The publishing companies forced Amazon to let them up the basic price for Kindle books so new books can cost $14.99 or so but there are plenty for $9.99 or less and plenty between $9.99 & $14.99.

I read a lot. My local library & I are BFFs. If I buy books they are mostly used ones that I get on half.com for about 75 cents to $5 (even hardbacks) but the few books I do buy new I almost always get in hardback so the Kindle will save me money there. It's not going to replace the library or used books much at all. I'm too cheap to spend $6.99 on a Kindle book I can get from half.com for $4 including shipping. Plus many of the authors I read have few if any books on Kindle yet but I think in the long term the Kindle will be very nice for me to have to replace most of the hardbacks I do buy.

You can't give kindle books as gifts but you can give amazon gift cards. I use swagbucks all the time to earn them
Old 07-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbrie View Post
lol, yes, my mom is a book addict. Sometimes when I don't have any books to bring her, I stop at walmart and grab a few $6 paperbacks, just to give her something - one time I showed up with a random book I just grabbed off the shelf, and she was in the middle of reading it when I showed up - someone else had brought it to her that morning! She reads anything, from Isaac Asimov to Harlequin romances and everything in between.

So, is it newer titles that are about $10? I see you said some classics can be gotten for free, Jennifer, but do you know like random prices? For books that have been out a while, are they cheaper than say the new James Patterson titles?

I do think it's a great idea, and would be good for her - she'd have an almost never-ending supply of books right in her hand. We just don't want it to get too pricey for her. If she were to get it, do you ladies know if you can buy like a gift card or something that us kids could buy for her to give her some money towards buying books on the kindle? Or would we just have to give her money to put on her own credit card? lol, is that how it works, you give your cc info, and when you buy books it charges them per book?

Also, do you have any idea, or a rough number of how many books are free?

Thanks girls for the input. I'd love to find a cheap solution to keeping her in a constant book supply
If she likes the harlequins, you can buy the months releases in a bundle too-like I just bought the July harlequin Blaze releases for 10.99 for 6 books, which is an awesome steal.

you can look on amazon.com at the kindle books to get price ideas. You can add gift cards to your amazon account to have it draw from first for purchase, but you do have to have a CC on file for when there is no GC balance. I use my swagbucks most months for kindle books-just apply the codes straight to my amazon account.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, cool, I had forgotten it was an amazon Kindle! lol-duh. I went and checked some out, and I do think the bundles are cool - definately a good deal. I'm going over there this weekend, so I'll get her online, and show her what there is, and prices and such. Hmm, her birthday is in a couple months, so maybe if she decides not to get it for herself, I can get it as a gift for her, and she'd have all the money she would have spent on the Kindle itself to buy a ton of books! LOL. Thanks Stacy - I never would have thought to check and see what the library offered... and I'll look into the Nook, too, see what that one is like. And Stacey, I've never heard of half.com, but it sounds like something we might like too, I'll have to check that out!!

Thanks girls, for all the info!! lol, my mom seemed surprised that I didn't really know anything about it, and I knew you girls would help me out
Old 07-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Barnes and Noble Nook and choose that over a Kindle. If you have any questions let me know!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have this little thing in the back of my head. In Germany they are still very expensive because to my knowledge they are all US imports. But it would be cool for reading in the train...
Old 07-31-2010, 02:39 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Default Nook

I purchased the Nook over the Kindle for a few reasons:

1.) With the Nook, you can download ebooks from your local library. They stay in the system typically for two weeks. You can not do this with the Kindle.

2.) You can also lend books to other users for a limited period of time. There are facebook groups now where you can sign up with buddies who have books you want to read. You can not do this with the Kindle.

3.) With the Kindle, you can only buy from Amazon. With the Nook, you can download books from everyone else but Amazon. This is key if you like to hunt for a better bargain or finding obscure books. More e-books are being added everyday.

4.) Convenience-I can go to my local BN and pick up a new battery, new memory card, peruse covers, read books, ask questions, get free treats from the shop with Nook specials. Plus, they offer goodies and deals while you are in the store-and each BN store is different in what they offer.With the Kindle, you have to send away for the extras, and you don't get goodies.

5.) Appearance-the Nook is sleek and has touch screen features. I love the page swipe!

**If price is a concern, the rumor is you will be able to buy an ereader by Christmas for $99, since they seem to be quickly dropping prices as they gain in popularity.

Sweet Shoppe Gallery
Tiffany's Tidbits
Old 07-31-2010, 04:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have been looking into purchasing either a Kindle (Amazon) or a Nook (Barnes & Noble). I am really leaning toward the Nook for most of the reasons that Ainwena listed above.

Eva Kipler
BLOGSWEET SHOPPE STORE TWITTER FACEBOOK FAN PAGE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

♥ SNAG IF YOU ARE A FAN! ♥ ------------->