Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Creativity released.

I have been giving this some thought over the past two years or so, and the discovery of digital scrapbooking only made me think some more.

I belong to those people who used to be creative and make things from an early age on, nobody ever doubted that and I always somehow took it for granted.

What I find fascinating is, that a lot of people have a "hidden" creativity that gets awakened by a strong emotional stimulus - either being in love or giving birth to a baby. The latter does the trick in most cases. I have watched many examples of this around me, and I think it's really interesting.

Since I have a lot of craft tools at home, from time to time I tend to organise "creative workshops" for my friends, where we usually do something simple like windowcolor or decoupage, and I noticed that while some people definitely have talent and some have not, everybody is able to create something nice. Most of these people would never sit down and create on their own, but they enjoyed these workshops and some of them even started to create something in their free time.

It means that (almost) all of us have creativity and talent, but sometimes it really needs a stimulus above to surface - either an emotional one as mentioned above, or a normal one like somebody organising a workshop.

Also, I wouldn't underestimate the kind of creativity that makes people to decorate their homes, cook inventive meals, keep a beautiful garden/balcony etc. All of these are, in my eyes, manifestations of creativity.

So, what do you think about this theory of mine and what group of people do you belong to? Was your creativity always present or did it wake up thanks to love (to your husband/children/etc.)?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I would say I have always been this way. I have scrapbooks going all the way back to elementary school where I kept movie ticket stubs and notes from my friends. Granted they are decorated with glittery stickers and my handwritten scribbles, but even so, they are memories that I recorded in a creative way.

I did stamping for many years and still love to dabble in hybrid stuff from time to time. I've always been the poem writer or the skit writer when a group I was in had to perform. I can't paint, or draw, or sculpt, but I love doing it anyway and always have.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's the big joke in my family that I didn't have an ounce of creativity until my daughter was born. I was an academic and musician/dancer, but I stayed miles away from anything crafty. Once Avery was born...it was BAM!! Scrapbooking, home decor, sewing, and more...just out of the blue! And apparently, I have a talent for most of it, as well. Absolutely crazy and still a source of amusement at family get-togethers.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I've always had some sort of creative outlet. From about 6 on I was big into music. Once I had Emma, I was all about the digital scrapping. I'm just not a physically crafty person. Too much mess for this OCD gal.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenvader View Post
Also, I wouldn't underestimate the kind of creativity that makes people to decorate their homes, cook inventive meals, keep a beautiful garden/balcony etc. All of these are, in my eyes, manifestations of creativity.
I totally agree with you! I think that in my childhood/teen-years I was kept (by myself or by others) in the opinion, that being creative meaned to be able to draw or paint etc. etc. one's own original ideas. I was cross-stitching, sewing, knitting, scrapbooking (even if I didn't know it was scrapbooking - it was a traveling diary ), remodeling my little garden, decorating my room and later appartement and didn't think I am creative at all.
Years later, when I discovered the world of digital scrapbooking and read various forums, I discovered also, that I AM a creative person. It was so nice.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My mom has always been into creating things and thus I learned early on to do that kind of stuff. I have been keeping scrapbooks since junior high, I cross stitch, plastic canvas and love hybriding. My mom always taught me if you see something you like, you can make it yourself.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i think about this myself, lol. i have always been very creative. i was constantly drawing and doodling/coloring as a kid. I lived for art class at school. i was stoked to have 2 art classes back to back during my senior year of high school . i was in heaven! i love to decorate too, and thought about being an architect at one time. i like to design houses. Interior decorating sounds intriguing to me too. i really wanted to go to school for graphic design but just never made it. i'm also scientific; i wanted to be a marine biologist, archeaologist and astronomer .

for me, when i get an idea in my head or that 'itch' to do something creative, it won't go away until i do it. i get a page idea in my head or just take a great pic that begs to be scrapped, it nags until its done, lol.

i have an idea that the talent of drawing etc. is genetic. my mom was artistic when she was in school, i was a pretty good drawer, and now my oldest, Chloe, is starting to be very good as well!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmm... I think I was always creative as a child, but I never believed that I was creative... I did plastic canvas as a child... and I loved interior decorating. I would draw house layouts and figure out where I would put the furniture. But I never considered doing anything creative as a future career path... I was going to do something medical or the degree I decided to start college with was Paper Science (aka chemical engineer for paper industry)... which makes my hubby laugh his butt off... I bounced through majors until I happened upon Communication and Computers, then a job as a computer instructor. As part of my job... I *LOVE* to develop computer based training modules and was very good at it. In the end I did end up in a creative field. But I didn't admit to myself that I was creative until I had a business assignment in London - I took a ton of photos, being all artsy... and then discovering scrapbooking in order to display my photos... so yes, I'm one of those closet creatives...

Theory has been proven!!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have always loved creating. I do cross-stitching, embroidery, candlewicking, crocheting, drawing, painting, ceramics and digi scrapbooking. I also love photography. Im not the best phtographer but I really try and love it very much. As a child I was kinda discouraged from doing anything art related because my parents thought my sister Jocelyn had all the talent. They would tell me stuff like You just are not talented like Jocelyn is. You should just find something else that you are good at doing. Funny thing is everyone else thought I had talent it was just my family who did not see it.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
As a child I was kinda discouraged from doing anything art related because my parents thought my sister Jocelyn had all the talent. They would tell me stuff like You just are not talented like Jocelyn is. You should just find something else that you are good at doing. Funny thing is everyone else thought I had talent it was just my family who did not see it.
thats kind of sad i'm sorry! sometimes when i was younger i'd be really proud of something i did at school in art, but it seemed like my mom was like "yah, thats nice". i always wanted more response than that. she never went to the 'art shows' we had. oh well. she knew i had talent and i don't think she realized what she was doing but still, it hurt a bit.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for your interesting replies, ladies. :-)

I'm just about to pack my things as I travel tomorrow, but once I'm back online I'm going to read through the posts once again and reply.

A bientôt!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I grew up with creativity. It was passed on through my Mom. She was always making things - sewing, woodworking, crafts, etc. and she would always get us involved.

I have always loved taking photos, right from an early age. I love the camera, both in front and behind it. I started scrapbooking when I met DH. Both of his parents passed away and he was left with very little in the way of photos, physical memories. I want our kids to remember us, remember the little things...
Old 01-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I don't really consider myself a creative person when it comes to creating something tangible. BUT, I have always kept on trying. I love drawing, cross stitching, crocheting, scrapping, etc.

I think the one creative thing that I am awesome at is designing educational lessons for my middle school kiddos. I never really thought of it as an art, but once I had my first day in the class, I have been hooked ever since. Whatever I can do to get the kids to learn AND have some fun while doing it is what does it for me! I still have former students coming back to me saying "I remember when we did [insert concept/activity/skill].. man that was fun and I still remember it!"

That is the best part.

Sweet Shoppe Gallery
Tiffany's Tidbits