Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Grand Canyon - what should I know?

We will be going to the Grand Canyon one day next week ... and I really have no idea what to do ... I was told by someone on the phone at the GC Park to go to Tusayan and park ... buy our tickets into the GC at the Imax theatre and ride their transportation into the Grand Canyon Park that way. We wouldn't have to mess with parking, etc. I was told from there we can jump back and forth between shuttles that take you along the rim on the south side.

Ok...would boy teenagers who are not all that keen on going in the first place actually enjoy waiting for a shuttle....get off...take pictures...wait...get on ... ride a bit ... get off... take pics....will they notice a difference between the different areas or will they think it looks all the same??? I'm trying to figure out what to do....

Can you drive basically wherever the shuttles are going? Are they air conditioned? (Not sure how our allergies will be acting in a "new environment") ... have you ridden the shuttles? driven? Pluses and minuses of each? Pretty please?!!!

Suggestions?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I THINK that some of the roads are closed to private vehicles in the summer months, to cut down on the pollution that the crowds have caused.

And as far as the boys go...I know they aren't into scenery...so they'll probably complain a bit...but the canyon itself is awe-inspiring, so hopefully even they will appreciate it...if not, just tell them to stop griping and let you enjoy yourself...it's not all about them
*lol...you can tell 'em I still love 'em...but I just tell it like I see it

Here's a link to the GC park news: http://www.nps.gov/grca/parknews/upl...ideSUM2010.pdf
Page 20 is about 'I'm at the South Rim...what do I do?'

Last edited by pewtertm; 06-10-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Can you believe I've lived in AZ for 14 years and I still haven't been to the Grand Canyon?

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Me either Megan! And I have lived here 26 years!!

Just a word of caution Sharon... It is HOT here already! If those shuttles don't have air conditioning it will be torture!

Sorry I can't be more help
Old 06-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We went a couple years ago and took a bus to the different areas. It worked out fine. The GC is really amazing -- I think even teenage boys would find it pretty spectacular. The views are different at different stops, but I can't guarantee they won't complain after a few of them! I blogged about our trip here:

http://dawnmarchantphotography.typep.../03/index.html
Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh wow! i have always wanted to see it! i think the boys will think its pretty neat, even if they aren't into that sort of thing. i'm in awe when i see pictures of it or on tv, lol.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Wear good walking shoes. You don't hop right off the bus at the rim...there is a bit of walking, and you don't want to trip up there!
Old 06-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
We went a couple years ago and took a bus to the different areas. It worked out fine. The GC is really amazing -- I think even teenage boys would find it pretty spectacular. The views are different at different stops, but I can't guarantee they won't complain after a few of them! I blogged about our trip here:

http://dawnmarchantphotography.typep.../03/index.html
you are quite the creative writer! LOL I enjoyed reading it.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe we should make another trip out here in cooler weather? dh is now wondering how well our minivan will do ... it SHOULD do well...we spent $650 on it in April ... and just another $1600 on it last week ... head gaskets or something like that ... I think he is rethinking that driving so many hours in a day...it's up to him...it's something we could do next trip ... and we could plan it for a cooler time. I think I am going to 100% homeschool next year ... so we could go late fall or very early spring. I'd like to go ... but I'm not the one behind the wheel driving ... so I'm okay either way. thanks for the info ladies ... we'll see how it turns out...

I don't know...he keeps changing his mind tonight....I'd be fine with staying at mom's house and swimming every day (and shopping at Beals) ... we got in her pool today ... and then got into the jacuzzi side and turned on the jets and heat ... oh man it was sooooooooo relaxing! she had an umbrella over it...it was nice!
Old 06-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

You can park in different spots at all the major viewing sites (if you decide to drive). Be sure to take plenty of water and wear shorts, as it will be hot. There are also some hiking trails that you could do with the teens from the village to scenic spots. When you get there, make sure to stop off at the visitor's center. You can get all sorts of maps and information from the rangers there.

Sweet Shoppe Gallery
Tiffany's Tidbits
Old 06-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

It's been 5 1/2 years since I was there (went in October), we found it easier to just drive and park ourselves, but there was probably less traffic at that time of year. I'm not sure how long you are planning to stay, but the view doesn't change a whole lot from one stop to the next (although it is quite different every few stops)

I would guess that teenage boys would probably like the glass bottom overlook. Not me - I was freaked out enough just standing 10 feet away from the edge of the cliffs!

Have fun, and hope the weather cooperates some!