Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default An inquisitive question on your user names

Girls. And boy!

Each of us has a user name here; some of them are kind of obvious (the children-based ones, for example), but some of them are not that easy to decipher.

So I thought I'd ask - what made you choose your user name?

Let's start with me. I "oficially" started to be Helen Vader at the time when I was writing and reading fanfiction (and was running two fanfiction websites).

But the nick is older than that. It dates back to times when I discovered Star Wars, started to write fiction and poetry in English and wished to be called Helena. ;-) Helen Vader was just a result of my Star Wars/Helena obsession combined with a firm belief of a naive teenager that an English-writing author needed an English-sounding pen name. Years later, when I decided to publish a poem at FanFiction.Net and found out that most people don't write under their real name even if it sounds English, good old Helen suddenly came in handy.

And I've been stuck with it ever since. I'm so used to it that I even turn when somebody calls "Helen". :-)))

Tell me about yours!

ETA: Just for record's sake - I no longer wish to be called Helena. I'm very happy as an Adriana. My parents were the wise ones (in the name choice any way) and I was a foolish teenager. :-)

Last edited by adrianka; 07-26-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Uh, yeah, it sounded cool when I was 19 and yahoo suggested I had the m for Mari.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine is b-o-i-n-g. My kids names are Addison and Judah. When Addison was 15 months old she couldn't say Addison so she called herself Aya. It stuck and my son called her that when he was little too. So Ayaaandjudah.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:36 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When I started out exploring digi-scrapping and found out that I needed a user name... I was totally clueless... so I picked mama because I was a new one... since I am the "queen bee" of my house... ... I added Bee to the end (also helps that my name starts with a B... my family call me Beck)... At first my mom thought it was lame. LOL! Now it's part of our language... when I need scrapping time, I just have to say, "Mama Be Scrapping!" and kiddo will go off and find daddy...
Old 07-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Alisa, I was kind of wondering about yours; never somehow really saw the "and", otherwise I would have guessed it was your kids. To me it sounded like a mysterious Indian name. :-)

Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenvader View Post
Alisa, I was kind of wondering about yours; never somehow really saw the "and", otherwise I would have guessed it was your kids. To me it sounded like a mysterious Indian name. :-)
That's really funny. When I first joined the digi community I signed up for DST as Aya&Judah. Apparently it caused their system to crash because of the & and so it became ayaandjudah. I guess you're right though, it does have a southeast Asian tone to it.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to always be mb20girl, cause I was a huuuuuuge Matchbox 20 fan. -Most people thought my initials were mb and I was 20 yrs old..lol. After mb20 went their separate ways I got really into Breaking Benjamin. And there you have it... I don't think it's hard to guess, but not everyone has heard of BB.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to tettletop20 Send a message via Skype™ to tettletop20

Love this question!

Back in high school when I had to come up with a username for my email, I really liked Mickey Tettleton (a baseball player for the Detroit Tigers at the time) and I also liked the movie Top Gun. So tettletop was born - I added the 20 on at the end b/c that was Mickey's # when he was with the team. tettletop20

On twitter I am nascarl99. I'm a huge (HUGE) fan of Carl Edwards - Nascar driver. Nascar+Carl+his number=nascarl99.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was lurking around and had to chime in...

Obviously my name is simple, I'm married (mrs) and the jb is my initials. However I always chuckle remembering why I chose it. It was about 6 years ago and I was joining a TTC message board where EVERYONE was much older than me... so I wanted a name that wouldn't give away my early twenties/newlywed status... thus, Mrs_jb was born because I thought it made me sound older and more mature! LOL! And I might add that it totally worked because most of the friends that I made there were SHOCKED to find out how old I actually was!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

most sites I just use my name and birthday so jessica & 3/18/1976...I do use mopar_girl or mopar_girl76 though because I love Dodge pickups & old Dodges (Cuda, Challenger, Charger etc).

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Well my name now is pretty self explanatory. Swerbinsky is just too long of a name (and no one can pronounce it correctly) so I like to use just Swerb.

Before that, I was BrodoNY0123. I'm from NY originally, and my birthday is 01/23. Brodo has a longer explanation, lol. One of my friends from college is 6'-7" tall. He's a giant. I'm 5'-4" on a good day. The Lord of the Rings was popular at the time, and once day he started calling me a midget, or a leprechaun, or a Hobbit. Like Frodo. But since everyone called me by my last name (Brady), Brodo instead of Frodo. And thus, BrodoNY0123
Old 07-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
Well my name now is pretty self explanatory. Swerbinsky is just too long of a name (and no one can pronounce it correctly) so I like to use just Swerb.

Before that, I was BrodoNY0123. I'm from NY originally, and my birthday is 01/23. Brodo has a longer explanation, lol. One of my friends from college is 6'-7" tall. He's a giant. I'm 5'-4" on a good day. The Lord of the Rings was popular at the time, and once day he started calling me a midget, or a leprechaun, or a Hobbit. Like Frodo. But since everyone called me by my last name (Brady), Brodo instead of Frodo. And thus, BrodoNY0123
Love the Brodo story!!!

And I'm pretty sure I could pronounce Swerbinsky. I smell some Eastern European ancestors there. Your husband's, I suppose (it is your married name, isn't it). :-)

Old 07-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wish I could remember!!! LOL Amy Lou has been my nickname since birth. My dad named me Amy Michelle and like 2 seconds later it was Amy Lou or Lou Lou and those stuck way more. I NEVER hear the Michelle. The Miz Part?I can' t remember but I know there was a story behind it at one point :P Just been using it tooooo long to remember!

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 07-26-2010, 10:08 AM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenvader View Post
Love the Brodo story!!!

And I'm pretty sure I could pronounce Swerbinsky. I smell some Eastern European ancestors there. Your husband's, I suppose (it is your married name, isn't it). :-)
Yes you probably could! It is my married name. My father in laws family is all 100% Polish. My mother in law's family is 100% Italian (not that that has anything to do with anything, LOL!). My family is much more of a mixture, but with a maiden name of Brady, I'm sure you can guess where my father's father was from
Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Mine is pretty self explanatory when you break it down:

newfie = a Newfoundlander....which is where I'm from and where I live
mountiewife = my DH is a member of the RCMP, aka the Mounties

I always figure I'm going to change mine to something that represents ME, not me as "Tony's wife" but I never do. I've been newfiemountiewife ever since I started posting on a mommy board on iVillage over 5 years ago. It would be weird for me to be something else!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Where in NY are you from Colleen? I'm a lifetime NYer.

Quote:

Old 07-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Mine *really* has no meaning.
The first time I got into a forum I spent a few minutes staring at the white form, thinking about the nick name I should have picked... I didn't wanna use my real name, at first, so, since I was watching Desperate Housewives while I was filling it, "Gabrielle" was the first name that came in my mind. (Stupid, I know ). But it was already picked, so I tried Gabri, Gabbi... nothing. I could have picked something different, I know, but I put Gabbina instead and it worked. I was like...what??
But then, since I'm lazy, I didn't go back to change it.
After, I thought it was better to keep it, so people around the digiworld could have known it was always me.
So, this is it! No meaning.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:15 AM

profile gallery send pm

The Hudson Valley, about 45 miles North of NYC. Heard of Woodbury Commons, the outlet mall? That's my hometown.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:16 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Although mine is obvious, the story behind how I chose it is kind of cute. I started scrapping digitally when Michael was in preschool, but hadn't joined any forums. One afternoon at pick-up time, some of the other moms and I were chuckling about the fact that, to pre-schoolers, our only identity is as so-and-so's mom. When I would arrive to get Michael, the kids would shout out, "Hi Michael's Mom!" Jo is short for Joanne (my name). So when I started joining forums, I put it all together and become MichaelsMomJo. There's no apostrophe in Michaels because it sends some message boards and chat rooms especially into a tizzy!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

nikkiARNGwife - nikki - ARNG (Army National Guard) wife

hubby is active duty army guard...I've used this username since we got married 9 years ago

Old 07-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ahhhh so on the border of what is NY vs Upstate . I live in the metro area, just outside NYC proper.

Quote:
The Hudson Valley, about 45 miles North of NYC. Heard of Woodbury Commons, the outlet mall? That's my hometown.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

glumirk was my phone number growing up. Good ole phonespell.org helped me come up with it. My first ever username was princessmrk (my initials were mrk), and then I was queenmrk, and then I went to glumirk. I like it because it's never EVER taken.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to tettletop20 Send a message via Skype™ to tettletop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
Mine is pretty self explanatory when you break it down:

newfie = a Newfoundlander....which is where I'm from and where I live
mountiewife = my DH is a member of the RCMP, aka the Mounties

I always figure I'm going to change mine to something that represents ME, not me as "Tony's wife" but I never do. I've been newfiemountiewife ever since I started posting on a mommy board on iVillage over 5 years ago. It would be weird for me to be something else!
OMG I swear I remember your username from iVillage!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tettletop20 View Post
OMG I swear I remember your username from iVillage!
You might, I made siggies there for at least 2 years!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Mine is pretty simple...my name and what I LOVE to do

Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
You might, I made siggies there for at least 2 years!
That's probably it! You and Jac!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tettletop20 View Post
That's probably it! You and Jac!
Yep, Vanessa and Amanda! Katrina who used to hang out here, used to make over there too! I'm trying to remember who else, there were a lot of us!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Well, I'm a shortie...5'2" on a good day. My good friend in college used to always call me smalls or smallfry. The 73 is the year I was born!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I go by Stacey IRL and 42 is the Answer to the Ultimate Question, according to my favorite author Douglas Adams
Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

When I first chose my username, I had recently had to put my grey tabby, Pewter, to sleep. He was definitely my baby at the time, and his name was all I could come up with. After he died I adopted Toby and Max, and I didn't want them to really be left out LOL, hence the tm at the end of Pewter's name.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glumirk View Post
glumirk was my phone number growing up. Good ole phonespell.org helped me come up with it. My first ever username was princessmrk (my initials were mrk), and then I was queenmrk, and then I went to glumirk. I like it because it's never EVER taken.
I like the sound of yours, it sounds as something out of a Tolkien novel. Even though it would probably be a baddie, since "mirk" is the ancient word for "dark". :-)

Old 07-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
I go by Stacey IRL and 42 is the Answer to the Ultimate Question, according to my favorite author Douglas Adams
I have always loved the ultimate answer. That's fun to use it in a nick. :-)

Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 AM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaandjudah View Post
Ahhhh so on the border of what is NY vs Upstate . I live in the metro area, just outside NYC proper.
That's debatable, lol. I don't consider that area to be upstate, considering you can drive straight North for 5 hours from where I am and still be in the state of NY, lol. And to ppl from LI, the friggen city is "upstate", lol.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Well mine is kind of boring as well. Aries (my sign), FL (abbreviation for Florida which is where I currently live) and 326 (which is my birthday-March 26th).

Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesfl326 View Post
Well mine is kind of boring as well. Aries (my sign), FL (abbreviation for Florida which is where I currently live) and 326 (which is my birthday-March 26th).
LOL, I'd be arieslu327 by applying this principle. :-)

Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

True, but I am a LIer so I think you're from upstate. When my husband was in school in Albany I thought I was in Canada!

Quote:
That's debatable, lol. I don't consider that area to be upstate, considering you can drive straight North for 5 hours from where I am and still be in the state of NY, lol. And to ppl from LI, the friggen city is "upstate", lol.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The meaning behing my username...

hmmmmm,

my real life name...no one ever has it. Easy.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my first inital and my last name. I really should have done something more creative! lol But you can also look at it like this - e ran slow. because I do run slow! lol if I could change it everywhere - I think I would change it to erinkaflarin - my childhood nickname

Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranslow View Post
my first inital and my last name. I really should have done something more creative! lol But you can also look at it like this - e ran slow. because I do run slow! lol if I could change it everywhere - I think I would change it to erinkaflarin - my childhood nickname
I never think of the logical solution! To me Eranslow sounded like a name of some fantasy novel character. :-)

Old 07-26-2010, 11:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Mine is simple, my name is Vanessa, but my Granny and lots of friends always called me nesser and I was born in 1981. so nesser1981, boring. LOL!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

lol, mine is my name Nikki Epperson.

I'm more boring than boring.

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 07-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I need a new name..pretty sure my husband doesn't like me using my OLLLLLD name pre-him..pre-kids..pre-scrapping...

who wants to come up with one? I am still bratty...a big brat actually but no longer a brat that flirts

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 07-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Fun to see how peeps came up with their usernames.

SuzyQ is my nickname ... and scraps is kinda obvious.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Almost all of my family (for 3 generations) has graduated from Texas A&M (Aggies). That is where I met and married my husband. When I first started posting at BabyCenter I wanted the name aggiemommy but it was taken. I went with aggiefamily instead. I think this is the only forum left that I still use aggiefamily for my username. All other forums I use my real name- amanda heimann.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
I need a new name..pretty sure my husband doesn't like me using my OLLLLLD name pre-him..pre-kids..pre-scrapping...

who wants to come up with one? I am still bratty...a big brat actually but no longer a brat that flirts
Just go with BRAT.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hehe mine is boring, just my name and if I'm feeling adventurous I'll add a C at the end, which is what my surname starts with!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had to pick a user name for ebay. Evey one I tried was used, so I loved to scrap and purple is one of my fav colors so I combined them.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranslow View Post
**snort**
Old 07-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i have the hardest time coming up with screen names. junebug just came to me one day. my birthday is in june so it just makes sense. and i use it just about everywhere. once in awhile it will be taken and i'll just put my age on the end or something.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I used to live in the Albany area, and would go down to Peekskill once every couple of months to drill at Camp Smith with my ARNG unit. Left NY when I married an Active Army guy 13 years ago, but still remember it with fondness. That's a beautiful area!

I have multiple personality disorder on these forums I started out everywhere as MyBoysMom because that's what I was scrapping about mostly. When I started designing, I switched my usernames on several sites to my design name and the new sites I sign up on I typically use some variation on my real name. I use the same picture everywhere, though, so people will know they're all me!