Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-11-2019, 12:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Part 2 of my nosiness

Here's part two of me being nosy....

Would you ever send a message to your favorite designer and ask for a spot on their team, whether a guest or permanent?

**if you have done this, what was the result?**

Or are you like me and just wait for CT calls or hoping they randomly contact you and invite you on the team?

Old 08-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wait for calls and hope for the best. There are a few calls that have popped up where I knew I'd be busy in the next month, so I don't "try" knowing I wouldn't be much help right away, and then there are some that I don't try for because I know since i'm not a PS user that my creativity is limited and there are a LOT of scrappers out there who could do better than me. I am grateful every day for the teams I am on (and have been on in the past) for believing in me, and teaching me more than they may even know that they have.... someday, I may get up the confidnce to try to get on few more teams, but I wouldn't have the courage to just flat out ask them for it.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
I wait for calls and hope for the best. There are a few calls that have popped up where I knew I'd be busy in the next month, so I don't "try" knowing I wouldn't be much help right away, and then there are some that I don't try for because I know since i'm not a PS user that my creativity is limited and there are a LOT of scrappers out there who could do better than me. I am grateful every day for the teams I am on (and have been on in the past) for believing in me, and teaching me more than they may even know that they have.... someday, I may get up the confidence to try to get on few more teams, but I wouldn't have the courage to just flat out ask them for it.
What do you mean by this? When I was designing, I had ct members who use GIMP and Artisan. I didn't only select people who used PS. What can you not do with your program or feel you cannot do with your program? I'm sorry you feel this way. I read your post and wanted to reach out, give you a hug because I truly love your layouts in the gallery!
Old 08-11-2019, 02:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
What do you mean by this? When I was designing, I had ct members who use GIMP and Artisan. I didn't only select people who used PS. What can you not do with your program or feel you cannot do with your program? I'm sorry you feel this way. I read your post and wanted to reach out, give you a hug because I truly love your layouts in the gallery!
I did CT work for years using only GIMP before I finally got PSCC. Many of my designers were here at SSD. Don't let your program hold you back. Remember, it's only a tool!

Old 08-11-2019, 02:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wait for CT calls. I don’t always even have the confidence to try for CT calls!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2019, 02:22 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have done both. I've waited for calls if I know that they typically do regular calls. If a designer rarely does call, I will message them and check. The worst they can do is say no.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I always doubt that I am good enough for a designer and just don't have the confidence to contact designers.

I have loved a certain designer for years (followed them from store to store) and just don't have the confidence to ask if they do any guest spots
Old 08-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always feel embarrassed or feel like I'm over-stepping if I come out and ask, so usually wait and hope for a call. But it seems like other than guesting, a lot of designers don't do permanent CT calls anymore. I have asked a few and gotten onto their teams in the last year but generally I'm afraid of the rejection and being too pushy. I also got turned down by 2 designers I love so that really sucked. I try not to take it personally b/c I know there are a million great dependable talented scrappers out there and they can't take on everyone but still....it really sucks.

I am trying to be realistic and realize that becoming a Babe isn't likely to happen, so I am focusing now on finding teams that fit my style and having fun getting back into scrapping more. They always say one door closing can open another door....or something like that LOL. So, finding designers that fit my style has been fun this year and I've gotten an increased mojo burst!

Last edited by bcgal00; 08-11-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Aww thanks. There are two things I don't care for, (I won't say hate, because I truly love my layouts, I just know there are things that could look better)... 1 - I can't use text paths... so my journaling always looks a mess, when everyone else's stays neat in one area, and 2 - I know my shadows can be sharper (I always think mine look so fuzzy in comparison to PS created layouts). I have tried to switch over to PS so many times, but it's one of those things that is just going to take a lot of getting used to because everything is so different and I need to remember I will be slow at it at first (which is where I fail.... I don't like taking a whole day on one layout which is what it would take me (if not more) if I used PS. I keep telling myself that someday I'll get used to it, but 'someday' is taking a lot longer than I'd like. lol
Old 08-11-2019, 03:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Jenn, I totally get what you are saying as I feel limited by my program as well. I just don't have the time to learn a new program, so I am happy with what I am able to do. Someday I will have more time to learn PS and sharpen my skills.

I lack the confidence to ever ask a Designer to be on their CT. I have been thrilled to get some guest spots as I know others are much more talented.

I really enjoy scrappin and my family loves seeing the photos come to life in a page. It is a great creative outlet for me. My pages aren't the best, but they represent me and I'm ok with that.

Time is also a huge issue for me. I work about 50-60 hours a week. I am looking forward to life slowing down a bit and having more time to do the things I love.

There is so much talent on this site. It is easy to get lost in the gallery just admiring the beautiful pages made with the stunning kits and templates.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Naw I’d never message them. I’m pretty sure that anyone who designs kits looks through the gallery and sees people whose style they like. If they had liked my style, they would have asked on their own. I don’t even answer CT calls because it really upsets me whe. I don’t get on a CT (even if I know my chances are super slim in the first place haha)

Old 08-11-2019, 05:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would if I knew I had the time to commit. I usually wait for calls, but many of the faves are designers here and they rarely if ever have calls.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually wait for calls. I have gotten up the courage and messaged a few designers. Some have said yes (that's always amazing and surprises me!), some have added me as a guest, some have said, "not right now", and some have outright said no (not my favorite answer. LOL!). It's not easy to do, and sometimes the no is a kick to my confidence, but I keep plugging along.
I absolutely LOVE my (LOL! I always say "my" when I'm on their CT) designers!!
Old 08-11-2019, 05:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There are an amazing number of really talented scrappers here. It always amazes me! But hey, it gives us something to aspire to, right?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In the past I've approached designers and also waited on calls. I haven't been on a CT in quite some time. I was last on Krystal and Libby's CTs here. I just haven't been scrapping enough to devote myself to a CT. I miss it, but I know my limits.

When I was designing I had quite a few people contact me and ask for a CT spot. It is flattering. As someone said before, the worst the designer can say is no. I never felt obligated to give them a spot and I met some great people that way.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:45 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I've done both - I've received guest spots from asking. Have not had success with a permanent spot, but I'm still trying. I'll get there - but it never, ever, ever hurts to ask!
www.gallerystandouts.com
Old 08-11-2019, 09:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did ask once and was accepted, and I happily created on her team for four years. I stepped down from all CTs because I felt guilty (although no one ever made me feel that way) I wasn't on FB or IG or had a blog, etc. I just felt other scrappers were better at the promotion part of CTing.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have the courage to message a designer and ask for a spot so I wait for calls but depends on the situation I'm on at that moment, I might skip call if I can't commit to it.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yep I have and I'm currently on a few of their teams. Granted they were friends so i was super comfortable asking. I figure what the heck, the worst they can do is say no
Old 08-12-2019, 06:34 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've always waited for calls, but I've thought about asking. I probably won't, lol, because the thought makes me squirm from the discomfort and possible awkwardness! I'm super-grateful to be on the teams I'm already on and to have had the guest experiences I've had. I figure anything else would just be the icing on the cake.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've asked once and it was positive... I was on her team for several years before she retired. A couple of times a guest spot turned permanent because other people were leaving the team or my style filled a niche that the designer needed. It can never hurt to ask....

Definitely apply for guest spots, those help both parties find the best fit for style and time commitment.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually wait for calls ... I think I've reached out maybe 2 times (and both teams were full ...).

I've been blessed to have been accepted as a guest team member for a number of designers here and someday would love to snag a full time gig with a SSD designer ... or be a Sugarbabe ... the latter is a pretty hefty goal, considering the amount of crazy-talented scrappers @ SSD!
Old 08-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There’s 3 I want to message but I am scared to so I’m just hoping they have a call/guest call soon, hey there KCB, Blagovesta and Flergs lol
Old 08-12-2019, 01:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have done both. I usually wait for calls but in the past when I was on nobody's team I just messaged a few designers I loved. I don't remember exactly if one of them took me on right away or if she contacted me a bit later when the need for more people arose. The others just said they were grateful but already had too many people.

I actually really love the Guest CT spots for a couple months out of the year because it gives more people a chance to be on a team, even for a short time.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have done both! I have reached out to contact designers about being on their CT (and gotten a few spots that way). I have waited for CT calls and gotten both guest and extended spots this way. The worst a designer can say is that they don't have any openings "at this time". Take that to mean they could have a call in the future and keep an eye out.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:50 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Ive always seen CT work as a relationship. I put myself out there for CT calls, I've been recruited because I worked a lot with their products and was really hoping to be a bigger part in their creations, and I've asked two designers if I could be a permanent part of their team because some, not all, of my work became astronomical when I used their product.

Those I've asked, I never became a part of. If they want and need you, they'll come. If not, it means nothing bad on your part or theirs. Scrapbook politics are crazy.

Love what you have. It is what it is and it's usually still beautiful. <3