Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to yari
Default Taboo topic - let's talk antidepressants...

I am really curious to know how many of us take them and how much "better" we are since we started taking them. For me, yes, I guess it's a little secret, first time that I talk about it, I take an antidepressant for my irritability which sometimes results into panic attacks, weird and I can't explain it. I was on an antidepressant for a while that did not help me at all, if anything made me worse. Now I am on a different one that is totally doing the trick and can I just say... even though I HATE the side effects (massive headache and dizziness everyday and frequent trips to the bathroom) I LOVE how much happier I am, how less I snap at my children about little things, how much more peace I feel in my life. For many years I tried to do this on my own finding myself with a lot of guilt every single day and bad thoughts of what a horrible mother I was. Now I appreciate these moments with these little ones soooooo much more (not that I didn't before, but it seems like so much multiplied now) and the level of happiness that I am experiencing is like a wake up call to me. I feel like this is the true me, the happy me, the way that I am supposed to feel, not the moody, always angry, me. I wish I didn't have to take them but I am so glad that at least there is something that is able to help me, cause I don't like being a grouchy mama (although those moments still happen, just not as often and don't last very long).

So, for those of us who do take them, what is our current state - happy, worse, what's good, what's bad?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I'm not taking anything right now, but I used to. I really struggled after DS#2 was born, and antidepressants helped me a lot. After a while, we figured out that I had Graves Disease as well, so I had my thyroid removed. I was soooo much better after that surgery, but I still took some antidepressants for a while. I haven't taken anything for about three years now, but I would totally go back on if I needed too. I'm lucky to come from a family where a lot of us deal with depression, so there is a lot of understanding and support - no judgement and not a taboo subject at all. In fact, we find a lot of humor in our depression.

I'm lucky that I haven't dealt with the deep depression where you can't get out of bed and you just can't function. But, what I've dealt with felt pretty awful to me, and I have a lot of empathy for those who suffer with serious depression. Big HUGS to everyone!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't take anything, but I did take Zoloft about 5 or 6 years ago while dealing with some situational depression. I went off just as soon as I thought I could, and I was able to stay off of them.

One of my boys is bipolar though, so I'm no stranger to anti-depressants. Without those and his other meds, he wouldn't be able to work and life would be hell here with him.

I think being a happy mom is most important. That saying if momma ain't happy than no one is happy is so true!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
I'm lucky to come from a family where a lot of us deal with depression, so there is a lot of understanding and support - no judgement and not a taboo subject at all.
Oh I love that Lydia, I am so glad you are able to have that circle of support. I wish that the no judging about depression were more prevalent and people were more understanding of those who suffer from it.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4noisyboys View Post
I think being a happy mom is most important. That saying if momma ain't happy than no one is happy is so true!
I so agree!!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I was on Prozac for a few years for PMDD. It definitely helped, but I didn't like the side effects. I went off it when I pregnant, and have just been so much better mentally since Lilly was born. Pregnancy seems to have just made my brain chemistry a little more even... I still have some marked ups and downs, but nothing as serious now. It still makes my life a little more challenging...but I feel I can handle it without meds for now.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back on medication if my lows were as bad as they were before.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started taking Effexor in September of last year for anxiety & depression and started developing muscle spasms or ticks as well as a fast resting heartbeat and heart murmurs so with the doctor's go ahead, I started weaning myself off of them in January. It was SO hard! The brain zaps and overall not feeling was the craps! I haven't had to go back on them since although I have had to take a few Ativan from time to time for anxiety attacks.

Last edited by Jennilyn; 09-22-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

After Kennedy I had the baby blues for about 2 wks but then my anxiety kicked into overdrive and I had to get put on something. I used to struggle HORRIBLY with anxiety and mild depression and was on Celexa. I went to therapy and learned out to deal without the use of meds and was ok. Then I had Kennedy and my motherly instincts kicked in and went crazy! So I got put on Zoloft. Honestly I love it. Well not love, but I'm glad I did get put on it. My anxiety isn't as bad, I don't have racing uncontrollable thoughts, and I don't snap. I also have Xanax for emergency situations...if a panic attack should occur.
Eventually I would like to be med free, but for now I'm perfectly happy and content with the help.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i started lexapro 6 wks after emma was born. i was on it up until i got pregnant with madelyn. i went back on it about a year ago....mine's for anxiety more than depression. (neurotic tendencies and all)

Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I sometimes wonder if this is something I should be on....overall I am a pretty happy person and get along with everyone, but seem to yell at my kids alot!!!! I have noticed though that taking Ambien at night and getting a good night's sleep has helped alot. My DH has been on alot of them from Celeza to Zoloft and I am not even sure which one he takes now, but I know he is alot better with them than without!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have been on meds since 2005 for panic disorder w/agoraphobia. I was on Paxil and when I got pregnant last fall they switched me to Prozac. I think the Prozac is way better than the Paxil. I am not so tired and lethargic all the time now. I am also not taking Concerta (an ADHD med) to counter act any lethargy. I have been doing so much better, still need a Xanax here and there
Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
I have been on meds since 2005 for panic disorder w/agoraphobia. I was on Paxil and when I got pregnant last fall they switched me to Prozac. I think the Prozac is way better than the Paxil. I am not so tired and lethargic all the time now. I am also not taking Concerta (an ADHD med) to counter act any lethargy. I have been doing so much better, still need a Xanax here and there
I was on Paxil 2 yrs ago and hated it!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I was on Zoloft for awhile and really felt great on it. I'm not on anything anymore but I wouldn't hesitate to go on meds if I was in a situation I felt I needed the help again. Being off BCP has helped my moods A LOT

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 09-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I take Efflexor. I am an angry depressive. I get so down I want to hurt myself. But on the flip side, I also get incredibly angry and agitated. I would NEVER and have never hurt my kids, but I can yell and scream like someone completely insane without my meds, and that hurts them in a different way.

When I spent 5 days in a row in bed, it's when I knew I had to get help. I've been so much better since. I've lost 40 pounds, had motivation to help myself, and am definitely less of a lunatic. And the best part is, I'm hardly ever angry.

They really helped me. I have Rheumatoid arthritis also, and I take pain meds for that, so why not take meds for my brain if it's messed up too! No shame in admitting you need help, IMO.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have dealt with depression my whole life and my parents were the kind of parents who just ignored it or told me to "grow up". So for many years after I got married I did nothing since I was raised to think it was all my fault and to just get over it. I have learned that I cannot control it, it is something off balance in me and I need help with that. I currently take Celexa and it does wonders for me. I have had some episodes of depression on it lately but that is from dealing with some things I have learned about my father who passed away 10 years ago and I just need to work that through on my own. The times I have been off the meds my hubby and kiddos can tell so I may always need to take them, but since they help balance me, I am okay with that.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started on Lexapro for my PMDD, and it did NOT work... it sent me into a horrible mood and I just sort of spiraled for awhile. Then, I was on Prozac for it, and it worked really well. The only reason I got off was because of my pregnancy... If I hadn't gotten pregnant, I probably would have stayed on it indefinitely. The doctor said it was my decision whether or not to take it, but I decided it wasn't worth the risk. They said now that I could go back to it, or I could get a prescription for progesterone and see if that works, so I plan on trying the progesterone and seeing if that helps. If not, I guess I can always go back to the prozac, but I'd like to wait until Zach is done breastfeeding for that.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 09-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I took amitriptyline but it was prescribed as a preventative for my migraines. I do not take it anymore though.

I need to talk to my doctor about prescribing something for me now since what happened with my son and husband in July I am feeling depressed a lot. I do not think it is anything to hide or feel ashamed of though. If you had cancer or diabetes you would treat them and depression should not be any different then any other disease or illness IMO.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by jessica31876; 09-23-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have taken Sinequan (one of the old tricyclic antidepressants) for years. What really improved my quality of life was adding Paxil in 2004 for anxiety, obsessive thoughts, etc.

The sluggishness kinda sucks but the panic attacks sucked way more. (ever had your blood pressure taken right after a panic attack? very scary.)
Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a family history of chemical imbalance/depression and have been on and off anti-depressants for years. First started with Prozac and did well on it until one day I broke out in hives. Then took Celexa up until I got pregnant. After the twins were born at 26 weeks and everything that happened with that (Colin's passing and Drew nearly passing several times) I was put on Zoloft because it was safe to use while nursing/pumping. I took that until I got pg again and when I had Ryan I had pretty severe PPD. I went on Wellbutrin and that gave me horrible anxiety attacks. Then I went on Effexor but read about all of the side effects from it and talked to my doctor about weaning myself off. Im finally on a combination of meds that is working WONDERS- 90 mg of Cymbalta for the depression and then 1/4 of a 25 mg tablet of Seroquel to help with my insomnia that I've dealt with for the past 6 years since Colin died. I am finally feeling like my old self before my life was turned upside down 6 years ago.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't take any, but DH is currently struggling with this issue. Since we met, he has been diagnosed with ADHD, some type of anxiety disorder, a gluten intolerance, and situational depression. He also likely has some sort of blood sugar/hypoglycemia/diabetes issue that has yet to be diagnosed. All that is to say that medication is VERY important in his life!

He was on Ritalin and the generic for awhile, which seemed to help but then level off in effectiveness, so the doctor put him on Zoloft. The Zoloft has definitely NOT been a good switch, and he'll be talking to his doc next month to be switched back.

He is always absent-minded and high strung, but with medication, it is tolerable most of the time and almost cute sometimes. Without medication, he is rather unsufferable, has no filter, and yells almost as much as he breathes. He forgot to fill his scrip for Zoloft the weekend before Christmas, and I almost killed him, forgive me Jesus.

As soon as I met him, I suspected that he had ADHD and did a lot of research before I presented him with the idea. After getting on the Ritalin, he kept asking me, 'Is this how you feel all the time? Is this how normal people are?'
Old 09-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, count me in. I had 2 nervous breakdowns in my life, one 9 years ago and another 3 years ago. Both time the depression was worse than any side effects of medication. I was prescribed antidepressants and they worked marvels.

First time around it took some time to find something that worked, and second time around it truly was working fab, no side effects and all.

My second time was Mumelated, I didn't know what was going on with her and developed anxiety disorder over it, which I didn't get rid of even though now she's diagnosed so we know at least what's wrong (Alzheimer's). I still have to find something that works for that, but right now I'm in a phase where I don't want to take anything.

That said, I think if one feels really lousy it's better to temporarily take medication than to let something worse develop from one's depression.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:55 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My father suffered clinical depression, my mum has suffered depression for years, as have my sisters and I. It's not taboo in our family to talk about it, it's more 'normal' than normal . . lol . . although I truly believe there is no such thing as normal. I think most of us pretend to be normal to some degree . .

As for medication, my parents had some success but I have not. Many years ago I was on one that worked, but tried years later and it didnt work anymore! Zoloft gave me the sweats and heart palpitations. I have tried quite a few, but they have not helped. I struggle with anger and depression, have extreme ups and downs that I cannot control, but after some of the horrible side effects I have given up trying new meds, and just do the best I can . .

After reading everyone's posts, I am almost convinced to try again tho, cos I dont like this cranky me

Donna
Old 09-23-2011, 06:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I've wondered recently if I might need to be on anti-depressants. I get a very overwhelmed feeling and feel like I can't cope very well. And I snap at my daughter, but only at night (when she wakes up a billion times and only wants to be held. She's 3 1/2, so I think it's time she gets over that soon. Is it normal that I get so angry at this?) I go back and forth between feeling like it's completely normal to feel overwhelmed and mad that I'm not getting any sleep, to thinking I may need to try medicine. I'm still not sure.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

No taboos here. We live in a fallen world and there is little in modern society that strengthens, supports and uplifts us. It's no wonder that so many of us struggle with situational and brain chemistry issues.

My worse times are post-partum and/or winter depression. Combine the two and it's particularly dreadful.

I had a baby one year ago and was prescribed Zoloft because it is most breastfeeding - friendly. I switched to Wellbutrin three months ago and it was like I woke up. Plus, it helped me to lose nearly 20 pounds (it helps with cravings).

The postpartum issues are resolved now but I don't want to stop the anti-depressant as we enter into fall/winter. My plan is to wean off of it when spring arrives.

I'm sending up a prayer right now for all of you facing depression and anxiety.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapweaver View Post
After reading everyone's posts, I am almost convinced to try again tho, cos I dont like this cranky me
I hated the cranky me. I was yelling and screaming non stop, and being a complete and utter you-know-what to my poor husband all the time. It's a miracle that we are still married. I was absolutely terrible. I have no idea how my kids still love me after how much I yelled at them. I felt so out of control because I would bark at them and couldn't even stop the words from coming out of my mouth.

Right now, I'm working a 50 hour a week job, and will soon be adding in another 10 hours, plus all of their activities, and we're moving. Before, this would have probably caused me to jump off a bridge (not joking) but now, no biggie.

The ONLY problem I've seen is, I've gotten a lot less OCD about things (so I guess this was an issue that I didn't realize before) and my house isn't as tidy as it used to be, but then again, having a raging lunatic mother with a broom, chasing behind kids probably wasn't that productive for a healthy life for them or me anyway! So I've decided a bit of clutter won't hurt.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was on them for 2 years. I had a rough work situation (with the adults on my team) and I needed them to wake up and get through the day. I changed jobs about a year ago and weaned myself off them because hey, I love my coworkers now and life is good.

Except I'm still really cranky. I'm wondering if I need to go back on them. I don't really like who I am right now, which I'm beginning to accept means I have a chemical imbalance and I probably will need them long term.

Coming back because I just remembered that about 8 years ago, I took Amitriptyline (sp?) for my migraines. That was the best I ever felt, but I could not lose any weight while I was on it. The more recent situation I took Zoloft. It worked, but it wasn't as good as the first anti-depressant. Thanks for making me think about all this....

Last edited by MissKim; 09-23-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I've been on them since 28ish or so. I started on Prozac, had some horrible side effects, was on zoloft for a longgggggggggg time. Tried wellbutrin. I was off meds for several years and then I started taking Lexapro. I take it more now for anxiety than depression. I decided not too long ago to take myself off the medication. I went back on it a month ago b/c I didn't like the person I was off of it. I was freaking out over everything and crying all the time.. so.. I'm perfectly happy to be on it forever if that is what it takes. I love Lexapro.. I don't have side effects, and it really helps with my constant anxiety.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I really wish I had the balls to go and ask for medication.

I've always been an anxious person but now I feel it's controlling my life. My husband had cancer last year and I find myself petrified that I or someone I love will die. So much so that I'm not enjoying my life.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
I went back on it a month ago b/c I didn't like the person I was off of it. I was freaking out over everything and crying all the time.. so.. I'm perfectly happy to be on it forever if that is what it takes. I love Lexapro.. I don't have side effects, and it really helps with my constant anxiety.
It might have been withdrawal more than really you, even though escitalopram isn't supposed to cause much withdrawal. No idea, since when dr tried it with me, I had horrible side effects and stopped after 4 days of hell. But still most of the meds of this kind caused some kind of withdrawal for me when I was coming off them, even though they weren't supposed to (and even though I wasn't taking them for years or anything). That's the part that isn't really speaking for taking meds, but I think in some situations it's better to take them anyway.

Anyway, I can remember that 3 years ago when I had a breakdown and was prescribed Ixel, after a week I started feeling like ME (the me I remembered pre-depression and that I had almost forgotten that existed) and it was incredible. When Mum was diagnosed we tried it again, but it didn't work anymore, too bad for me.

Last edited by adrianka; 09-23-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaandjudah View Post

I've always been an anxious person but now I feel it's controlling my life. My husband had cancer last year and I find myself petrified that I or someone I love will die. So much so that I'm not enjoying my life.
you have balls girl, use them. anxiety can completely control you, but don't let it. kick anxiety in the balls. You can do it.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i would rather take meds my whole life than feel the way i was feeling premeds. just my two cents

Old 09-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

It's worth trying. Anxiety can totally spoil all pleasure in life. Just don't let them prescribe anything that requires increasing doses over time in order to work - which would be the group of substances caled benzodiazepines (most of those substances end in -am, like alprazolam in Xanax, or diazepam etc.) if taken regularly. I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by adrianka; 09-23-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
you have balls girl, use them. anxiety can completely control you, but don't let it. kick anxiety in the balls. You can do it.
Thanks, I really hate being afraid of everything.

I'm nursing now but once I wean I will strongly consider it because I feel I owe it to those aruond me to allow a little fun into my life instead of worrying all the time.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went on to Prozac when Alex was almost 2, and became the mother I hoped I could be within a week - totally chilled, finally loving the time with my boy, finally getting out of the house, not minding so much if he piddled everywhere....

For some stupid reason I felt pressured to decide I'd been on them long enough after roughly 5 months & came off. I did feel better, but definitely went down hill, though not quite to the bottom until this past year-ish. After my dad & grandma died, then all the trouble with the family, our build, DH & his job, my job.... well, its all pretty much too much again ...and I HATE the way I'm treating Alex & DH too - always shouting & being way to critical.

I am going to have to go back & ask for help - but the attitude here is one of coping/ 'getting on with it', rather than medicating. Which would be fine if there was a workable solution, 'cos believe me I've tried to find one.

People really, really don't talk about depression, which is just so silly as it is so common! How can it be a bad thing or a sign of weakness or failure to ask for help??
Old 09-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelys View Post
People really, really don't talk about depression, which is just so silly as it is so common! How can it be a bad thing or a sign of weakness or failure to ask for help??
Bad mood can be "coped with". Depression can't. But people often mix those up. When I was musing aloud in front of a friend about how I might turn to antidepressants once Mum's Alzheimer's got worse (not in a whiny style, I was just thinking rationally - I need to be OK as I'm the only daughter), I received a sermon on how I should learn to cope and not thinking drugs. People with different disposition (and people who haven't been through this kind of problem) just don't get it.

It would be nice if depression wasn't such a taboo really, because it's a disease like any other. And going to a psychiatrist doesn't make one lunatic (even thought most people in Slovakia will believe that, LOL).

Old 09-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post

It would be nice if depression wasn't such a taboo really, because it's a disease like any other. And going to a psychiatrist doesn't make one lunatic (even thought most people in Slovakia will believe that, LOL).
I hate this stigma, SO much. it's like people think we can just make ourselves feel better...and we can't.

i need to just step off my soap box now before i raise my blood pressure LOL

Old 09-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
I hate this stigma, SO much. it's like people think we can just make ourselves feel better...and we can't.

Well, I couldn't talk to that sermoning friend of mine for weeks. Otherwise I would get into a nasty argument with her. Next time I will choose a more emphatic public to confide in. But to this day, when I think about that conversation, my blood pressure gets higher. Trouble is, she wouldn't get why it made so angry if I tried to explain. You can't really explain things to someone who hasn't been through it or who hasn't enough imagination to to feel themselves in. It's truly a pity, because it's bad enough to have depression - the necessity to defend oneself is so unnecessary. Nobody has to defend themselves if they have influenza or whatever disease that's considered "normal".

Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post

I agree. Last year I had to fly to texas for a family event. If you read my 9/11 story you know how utterly difficult this is for me. I only got on the plane because my father gave me a half of a valium. It didn't take away the fear but it made me able to actually step foot on the plane and get to Texas.

Some friends didn't think I should have taken it and that I should have coped.

Not possible. I simply couldn't cope.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I agree. Last year I had to fly to texas for a family event. If you read my 9/11 story you know how utterly difficult this is for me. I only got on the plane because my father gave me a half of a valium. It didn't take away the fear but it made me able to actually step foot on the plane and get to Texas.

Not possible. I simply couldn't cope.
None of those people actually know how much courage you displayed by stepping into that plane. Courage is not careless recklessness, but doing something you are deadly afraid to do. *hugs*

Old 09-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Your friends don't think you should have taken 1/2 of a Valium? Are they okay with you taking a Tylenol for a headache? Or do they want you to just "cope" with physical pain, too?

You did cope! You acknowledged your fears, realized your limitations and accepted some help. I think you handled it beautifully.

And in case you don't know, there are medications you can take while nursing. The day my baby was born I started on Zoloft. When my hormones crashed two days later I had massive panic attacks. The doctor prescribed Ativan, as it's the Benzo that is most compatible with breastfeeding.

The older the baby gets, the less it matters what medication you are on. The first three months of baby's life are the most cautious. Once baby is bigger and starts eating solids most doctors will prescribe the next-tier in the safe medications. So please, don't let breastfeeding stop you from seeking help sooner, rather than later.

Gosh, when I think back on all of the meds I had in baby's first month of life... I had the PPD/anxiety attacks, pneumonia, a uterine infection that required surgery so I took Zoloft, Ativan, oral and i.v. antibiotics, Versed, general anesthesia, Vicodin, Ambien. I think that's it.

The baby is one year old now and as healthy as a horse!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

Yari, I wanted to come back and thank you for this thread. I called my doctor today and have an appointment with her to talk about antidepressants next week. And Alisa, I did it! Do it with me! I'm feeling absolutely no shame, and anyone in my life that tries to make me feel shameful about it, probably shouldn't be in my life much. I need to surround myself with supportive people.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No taboos here. I had a severe nervous breakdown at 20 years old and started Effexor. I was diagnosed with depression, general anxiety disorder and agoraphobia. I weaned off shortly after my second son was born, after 4 years of taking them.

I had a second nervous breakdown in May 2010 and started back the Effexor. I take a minimal dose now, just enough to cope with my anxiety and depression, 75 mg a day. I also take a sleep aid since i have bad insomnia and it induces my anxiety. I've also been working with a psychologist on/off as needed for the last 10 years.

My family has a bad tendency towards depression, anxiety, addiction, so I really work on myself to keep balanced. DH is a big help and a good listener. I've also found that walking has helped me alot.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Well I never talk about this with anyone! I have always been somewhat embarrassed that I cannot handle problems on my own without being medicated. I have dealt with depression my entire life, an introvert, and do not like to be around large groups of people. When I was in high school I dated a guy who did not help the situation. After 3 years I wised up and moved on. When I got married my depression got worse, the two not being correlated-LOL! Anyway I started on Paxil and people said I was a totally differnt person. I noticed a big difference as well. When I got pregnant with my son I stopped the med and did not get back on it after my son was born. I started to get bad again but I refused to get on "crazy medicine" as I called it. I could handle it myself. I was very touchy and angry all the time. Finally, my dad, who is very caring but does not get involved in his kid's business uless asked, intervened! He said,"Honey, you really need to get back on your medicine. It is Okay if you need some help." I knew then that it was bad so I went and got back on the meds. It has been five years and I have not looked back. I now see it like taking a vitamin. It is simply something I need for my health and I have to take it. I am a better wife and mother for it and in the end that is all that really matters, so I am OK with that!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I would like to say that it is nice to read about others who know how you feel and what you are going through! Sometimes I feel there is absolutley no one that understands!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylers mom View Post
I would like to say that it is nice to read about others who know how you feel and what you are going through! Sometimes I feel there is absolutley no one that understands!
I agree completely.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I took Paxil for about a month when DD #2 was about 4 mos. old (she was so miserable and so was I).

When I got pregnant with DS, my hormones took me for a wild ride! I didn't even recognize myself anymore. Anxious beyond control (and I've always been the level-headed, down to earth kinda person). So I called our Ped. and asked him what he would recommend if this was his wife. He told me that I'd be doing more damage to the baby NOT going on something. He said that anxious mom = anxious baby. So I started a low dose of Paxil again.

I've been off of it for approx. 6 months now and feel as though I'm doing pretty good. I've tried weaning myself off of it before without any success. The anxiousness and irritability was just so evident. But now I feel pretty good, pretty level. Sometimes though, like Monday night this week (just before starting my new job on Tuesday), I started to panic and freak out. I took my 20mg of Paxil that night (probably around 4am as a last resort) and I don't know if it helped or not, but it was worth a try.

Personally, I am not a medicinal person so-to-speak (I don't take something for everything). But I am a firm believer that there is no need to suffer if you really need something and there's something that could help you. As a Mom, happiness and level-ness (if that's a word) is important. Someone that I know told me that she would have a better relationship with her Mother today, if her Mom had been on meds when my friend was growing up. I don't want my kids to remember me as a scary Mom, a Mom that is always yelling.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm
Default first post and thoughts on antidepressants

Hi, This is my first post here at Sweet Shop. I just had to put in my two cents on antidepressants. I have been depressed since junior high and have tried sooo many different meds. The benefits outweigh the side effects hands down. I have to adjust them and add in more for winter so it seems like a constant fight to get leveled out.
It's frustrating that you can't point to a lab result to show your critics that there really is a problem and you aren't just lazy or a drag to be around - you have a medical problem.
Anyway, thanks for listening and I'm thankful to have somewhere to say this and that some people know what I'm talking about.
Lisa
Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome to Sweet Shoppe Lisa (((hugs)))
Old 11-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i suffer from clinical depression. i was diagnosed at 15, and have been on meds almost consistently since. two years of paxil. then i was switched to celexa. then lexapro (which made me attempt suicide). and then back to celexa, with trazadone at night. it works for me. i'm currently off, due to other health things that need to be taken care of. but i know i'm happier when i am on them. and i treat people better.

for me, therapy helps just as much as the meds. i think the reason i've been so "off" for the past year and a half is because i can't see my therapist. she's back home, and i haven't found anyone out here at school yet.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

And here I am two months later still so consumed by anxiety.

See, I told you I had no balls.

Quote: