Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988
Default Another Christmas Post

I have seen too many Christmas trees and house with Christmas lights up on my way home from work this week and part of last week. I think it's too early for this. We always put our tree up the day after Thanksgiving and light on the house a little later. So, when does your tree/house lights go up and when is too early to begin Christmas decorating? I think after Thanksgiving is sufficient

Old 11-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Tree goes up the first week in December. Outdoor lights? Whenever we may have warmer temps! Lol I know a lot of people around here out up the outside lights right after Halloween because temps are actually tolerable. Though right now we have snow in the ground so it already feels like december

Old 11-19-2014, 11:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Bring it on!!! That's what I say. I'd much rather they do the decorating early than leave it up late... way after Christmas has passed.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The weekend after thanksgiving, although, my Halloween decorations are still up inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2014, 12:15 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well...our Christmas lights have been on the house for a few years (we don't turn them on all year round)....talk about laziness, eh? They must come down this year though. They are all old and faded now from the California sun. We usually take our tree and decorations out of the attic the first weekend of December.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:46 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We still have our orange Halloween lights up (not turned on), lol. My husband broke his wrist and I can't manage our very heavy duty ladder on my own with bum shoulder .... so perhaps we'll just add some Christmas lights to them when the time comes. I'm with you, I'm not into decorating until after Thanksgiving, but usually it's in the first week of December. We usually leave things up until New Years.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Like Erin our lights go up just after Halloween or sometimes earlier depending on the weather. Mine have been up this year since the week of Halloween because the temps were in the high 50s all week. Glad I didn't wait since it's been a high of 30 all this week and not looking to warm up anytime soon

Tree goes up 2 weeks before Christmas. We get a real tree and it becomes a fire hazard if it's up too long. It comes down no later than New Year's Day for the same reason.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I'm the person who everyone sees putting the tree and decorations up around this time or end of November time and says "ALREADY?!" however, I moved house December last year and binned the tree I had so I've had to order a new one which means I'm probably gonna be late putting things up this year unfortunately. I'm not even the first person on my street though, there's two other people with their trees up already here! I love making everything look festive and have chance to enjoy it all. I do not however, like having to pack it all away or clearing up the Christmas day mess.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a problem with people decorating early. If they enjoy it, let them do it. It doesn't affect me in any way. I have a coworker who LOVES Christmas and hers goes up the day after Halloween. It makes her happy so why do I care? I guess I just assume those who decorate early have an extra dose of the Christmas spirit and it makes me smile a little. We often put up our tree the weekend before Thanksgiving because we travel for Thanksgiving and I want it up when we get home.... especially on years like this when otherwise it would be a week into December before we'd have a chance to put it up. This year, we're planning to cut our travels short and put it up Thanksgiving weekend some time. I have absolutely no Christmas spirit this year, so I'm hoping it will put me in the mood.

Now leaving decorations up long past Christmas annoys me. That's just laziness.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love Christmas but November is far too early to put decorations up!! I usually do mine the 2nd weekend of December.

I'm worried for my tree this year because Charlie is nearly 2 and loves to investigate EVERYTHING, it's going to be hard to keep him away and as for putting presents under before he's in bed on Christmas eve, no chance lol!!
Old 11-20-2014, 09:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We usually put ours up the Friday after Thanksgiving, but this year we're going to the mountains for the week so it will probably be next weekend sometime. We don't do outside lights b/c our house isn't visible from the road and it would just not be worth the effort lol.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:49 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We go up to my parents' Thanksgiving weekend and help my mom decorate her house. She is the Queen of Christmas, so there are dozens of totes full of Santas, decorations, and ornaments for the tree. DD is just the right age and loves to help.

We put up our tree and Nativity within a couple days of getting home from my parents' just depending on what we have going on. I don't have much in the way of decorations and we don't have lights, so it's just doing the tree and doesn't take too long.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

We don't put up outdoor lights, but I love looking at everyone else's.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

in Utah, we put up outdoor lights in late september/early october quite often because snow by halloween is normal. Indoor, not until thanksgiving weekend.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We don't do outdoor, but our tree will go up the day after Thanksgiving. I'm always sick of it by Christmas time. In fact, when I was married to my ex, I used to take the tree down ON Christmas Day after we were finished celebrating.

Jeff wouldn't HEAR of that though. So, even though I'm super antsy and ready for Christmas now (I've done most of my shopping already), I won't put he tree up early. It'll stay up til New Years Day at least, so if I put it up too early, I'll go crazy. LOL

Last edited by Libby Pritchett; 11-20-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually put mine up on black friday because I refuse to go out into the crowds, I have put it up earlier and I have put it up later. I never tire of a lit tree! It brings such warmth and I have a hard time toking it down, and it's usually after the New Year before it comes down. I love all the lights and sparkle!! I also put Christmas decor in almost every single room of the house. It's my time of year when my inner little girl gets to have glitter, glitter everywhere!

We don't do outside lights. Too much work in the cold. We did when we lived in Florida though.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Our lights on the house outside are up - DH didn't take them down last spring because it was so wet and then it became summer and he was "eh.." haha... however we do need to put out the rest of the decor (decor the porch railing and put out the lighted deer.) It's suppose to be above freezing on Saturday, so we'll do it them... our tradition is we have "Christmas Extravaganza" on Thanksgiving.... after dinner, we all bundle up and head outside to turn on the lights for the first time, welcoming in Christmas season... and we shoot off fireworks! Think of the Grizwald's lighting... but with one string around the roof line...

For inside decor - I have the itch so bad to decorate now - it's snowy and cold outside... feels like December... but we host Thanksgiving and Christmas, now... so we do don't decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving... and since I do December Daily - I have to wait until December... haha
Old 11-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I do have to say, being a UK girl I do get hella jealous when I see everyones huge pretty trees all done up. There's nowhere to really put outdoor lights on the front of my house either so thats always a bummer.

I hope you'll show all your trees & decor when they're up guys!
Old 11-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We usually put ours up the weekend after Thanksgiving...if I could get away with putting ours up sooner I would I love the Christmas holiday's so the longer I can experience it the better....
Old 11-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've always out our tree up on the 21st of December as it's my mom's birthday, and decorating the tree is a nice way to celebrate it together. Our tree goes up whenever we get around to it, but usually late December. This year though, I'm putting it up next Sunday, as I want to have all our Christmas decorations up and ready for a merry December.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i usually do all my decorating the weekend after thanksgiving - but this year i've already started doing the inside stuff and hope to be done this weekend. we are leaving for a two week trip next tuesday - and i don't want to wait until december 8th to start my decorating ... i want to spend december relaxing and enjoying the christmas lights

we moved this summer - and i'm not sure what we are going to do with the outdoor decorations ... none of the stuff i have from last year will really work with the new house.

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 11-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love Christmas lights and can't wait to put ours up. But, I'm with you, it has to be after the US Thanksgiving. The boxes will come out over the next wk and I'll sort thru them to find what I want to use and then we'll put the tree up and a few household decorations (I don't decorate the house as much anymore) later, around the 1st of Dec. The outdoor lights will hopefully be up by the second week of Dec. My hubs does that part and depending on the weather, it might have to wait a bit until we get some clear skies on the weekend.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We put the tree up the first week of December and don't do outside lights. I don't think it's a big deal to start now. We have harsh winters and it helps light up the dark and look merry and happy.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Most of the time ours goes up after Thanksgiving (when ever I get motivated or when I realize I have no time left and just HAVE to do it) and it comes down a few days after Christmas, if the stars are aligned right. Really, that's when I like to have everything down. I've had health issues for the last 5 years (resolved now!!) and have had no energy so there have been times I am still pulling decorations down in February. The tree comes down way before then though, especially when we do a live tree as we have the past few years.

Every other year we go on vacation for Thanksgiving. On those years I like to put the tree and decorations up before we leave. We aren't home for Thanksgiving at all and it is nice to come back and just relax with the house all ready. When we are home for Thanksgiving, as we are this year, I have to have my fall decorations out. I love Thanksgiving and having fall decorations out on that day is important to me.

One year I put my tree and decorations up around the 15th of November. It was the first year that I was a stay at home wife (no kiddos at that point) and I was bored out of my mind. LOL
Old 11-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We put up our outdoor lights when we took down the Halloween lights. It was just easier then having to go back in a few weeks and put the new ones up. We haven't decorated inside the house yet, we're waiting for Friday.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

We usually put our tree up Thanksgiving week, but ours has been up for a week already because we just moved and I didn't want to haul all of the decorations up to the attic only to turn around and pull them back down. So this year was a bit different.

As for outdoor decorations, those happen whenever the hubby gets to it...and if the weather doesn't cooperate in mid/late November they don't happen at all. Hoping that he'll get to our this weekend because it's supposed to be about 60*.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I say any time AFTER Thanksgiving. Our tree usually goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Gallery