Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Hey La! Queen of Pink Hair!

I need some dyeing tips, please!

So, I'm one of those parents that's going to dye my 3.5 year old's hair with semi-permanent pink dye. We've done extensions before, and this time, she wants her hair pink. LOL. I'm thinking just streaks, but I don't want to screw it up.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/wild-hair...efault,pd.html

That's what we bought because they were out of the Manic Panic that we wanted. It doesn't contain ammonia or peroxide. Do I need to do anything special other than follow the directions? Any other tips you can suggest for me?

Thanks hun!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:14 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

hehe fun! I think I've used that one before.. anyway.. yes, just follow the directions on the bottle, it won't be that colour, since yer not going to bleach her hair of course haha.. it will be more of a rosey soft colour/tint to her hair (that is assuming she's a brunette.. if she's blonde it will be a little duller than that-- as I have to bleach to white to get that boldness of colour). Leave it on as long as she can deal with it * I'm changing my original statement of following the directions apparently LOL.. I've left it in overnight before.. but the 20 or 25 minutes is fine too* (it doesn't burn or smell or anythign.. just you know, so she doesn't get pink dyed smeared everywhere in the house lol). Oh also.. I usually wrap a plastic bag around my head - to keep in heat/help it set.. it looks ridiculously dorky but it helps I dunno if you want to put a bag on a 3yr old though haha

uhm....... oh and aluminum foil.. like they would do setting streaks/highlights at a salon.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Thanks La! I've got her sitting with foiled chunks and saran wrap around her head. Now to get out the camera!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How cute! You'll have to post a series of pics

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 10-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Well, we'll have to go for another round. I thought her blond hair would take it ok, but I was wrong. We have pink tints, but not a lot of pink. So, we'll be lightening her hair some (that's if I can find something not real harsh) and doing it again.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

how long did you leave it in for? .. all bleaches are going to be pretty stinkin harsh on her. it's the one thing I hate about doing my hair (the smell that is lol.. the harsh smell). was her hair clean or dirty? I know it sounds gross.. but I've had better luck getting colours to stick on not super clean hair.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
how long did you leave it in for? .. all bleaches are going to be pretty stinkin harsh on her. it's the one thing I hate about doing my hair (the smell that is lol.. the harsh smell). was her hair clean or dirty? I know it sounds gross.. but I've had better luck getting colours to stick on not super clean hair.
It was clean. The directions said to wash it before hand. So, that's what I did. Would I be better to wait a few days and try again before a bath? We left it on for about 45 minutes. Is the issue with the bleaches just the smell? I'm torn because she really wants pink hair.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:12 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

lol yeh I should have looked for a bottle and read the instructions ^_^ ... she's a kid, so it';s not like she'll have 50lbs of hair spray or something ridiculous in her hair, natural grime is what I mean. I dunno why it helps tbh.. lol I just know it does. You can use that dye on her hair repeatedly, I've done it twice in one day- it won't hurt her at all. Some people use that shizz on their dogs (I do not agree with this LOL ... but it's really really gentle).

The bleach..... eh well.. it's harsh in general, it can irritate her scalp and it's not exactly "good" for your hair. I use the manic panic bleach (flash lightening).. It smells something horrific- I usually only bleach my hair when ce isn't home bad.

manic panic and........ crap.. hold on.. special FX .. are the best hair dyes to use- but really....... this one should work better than it did for you. can you show me what it looks like?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I can snap a pic in the morning when she gets up. I just did two front chunks/strips, and you can hardly see them at all.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I used the manic panic on Ava's hair before. She is a brunette, so I don't know if my advise will help. I did it on unwashed hair (I always do this for my hair when I dye it too) and used Saran wrap to keep the dye from getting everywhere and I think I left it on a little bit longer than directed. We did this when she was 2 1/2 LOL

Here is a layout I did (you can tell her hair has some tint, but not crazy pink) -

Old 10-22-2009, 11:08 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

^_^ you said the same things I did.. LOL..

did you take the piccies yet chickie? I'm glad jenn posted her pic.. cause thats what it should look like on brunette-- your daugthers should be a lot bolder than that since she's blonde.