Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default The Flash on my camera

is broken. We can't find any of the information/paperwork on the camera. Luckily, it's not a DSLR, but it is a step below that, one of the higher point and shoots, with manual controls and a decent zoom. I'm not happy. I have no idea how it happened, either, because it was working the last time I used it.

Hubs said we would just replace it, which I'm happy about, but irritated at the same time. Hit me up with camera ideas. Don't know if he'll let me go for the DSLR, but tell me about 'em anyway.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Get a new camera!! Get a dSLR!! They really are so much more affordable these days (if you get the basic low end ones) and they are so much better for taking pictures of kiddos!!! Mostly its the time it takes to turn on and between shots that sold me originally. Sometimes you can even get a used one (someone is trading up) for a steal! It really is amazing how far they have come in the last 6 years since I started down the dSLR road!

The digital rebels are the best bet for a novice (cheap) dSLR I've found. You can get a used 8MP one with kit lenses for $350, and you'd easily spend that on a P&S. Now the price can go up from there depending on what you want.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
Get a new camera!! Get a dSLR!! They really are so much more affordable these days (if you get the basic low end ones) and they are so much better for taking pictures of kiddos!!! Mostly its the time it takes to turn on and between shots that sold me originally. Sometimes you can even get a used one (someone is trading up) for a steal! It really is amazing how far they have come in the last 6 years since I started down the dSLR road!

The digital rebels are the best bet for a novice (cheap) dSLR I've found. You can get a used 8MP one with kit lenses for $350, and you'd easily spend that on a P&S. Now the price can go up from there depending on what you want.
If you can really get them for that price... then maybe I should go for the DSLR.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

IMO, only get a DSLR if you actually know how to shoot in manual or you really plan on learning how to. A DSLR won't make your photos any more fabulous if you shoot in auto! If you are more interested in getting into photography and have a basic understanding of exposure, then TOTALLY go for a DSLR! I just upgraded in December and I LOOOOOVE my Canon Rebel XSi. I recommend buying the body and buying a lens separately because the kit lenses usually suck. I got the body and the 50mm 1.8 lens for about the same price as buying the kit.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnidge View Post
IMO, only get a DSLR if you actually know how to shoot in manual or you really plan on learning how to. A DSLR won't make your photos any more fabulous if you shoot in auto! If you are more interested in getting into photography and have a basic understanding of exposure, then TOTALLY go for a DSLR! I just upgraded in December and I LOOOOOVE my Canon Rebel XSi. I recommend buying the body and buying a lens separately because the kit lenses usually suck. I got the body and the 50mm 1.8 lens for about the same price as buying the kit.
I think that having a prime lens and shooting in auto makes my pictures much more fabulous than my PnS...and I love my PnS, but there is no comparison between the auto photos from my DSLR (Rebel Xti) and my Fuji PnS. I would take the photo with my Canon in auto over the Fuji anyday!

I have had my DSLR for a year and still shoot in Auto Focus a lot of the time!

Goooo for the DSLR! You will never be sorry...EVER!
Old 01-10-2010, 02:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snotty or offensive. lol What I meant is if you need a new camera and don't need all the bells and whistles of a DSLR, maybe just get a REALLY awesome P&S and save yourself some money. Yes, shooting on auto on my XSi would be better than shooting on auto on my old 3.2 MP P&S because that was a crappy camera. But sounds like maybe Amanda has a need for some of those DSLR features since her camera does have manual on it. Upgrading to DSLR is also great for moms of young children because of the shutter lag on P&S cameras... so that is another awesome feature.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!

Last edited by Megan Turnidge; 01-10-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnidge View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snotty or offensive. lol What I meant is if you need a new camera and don't need all the bells and whistles of a DSLR, maybe just get a REALLY awesome P&S and save yourself some money. Yes, shooting on auto on my XSi would be better than shooting on auto on my old 3.2 MP P&S because that was a crappy camera. But sounds like maybe Amanda has a need for some of those DSLR features since her camera does have manual on it. Upgrading to DSLR is also great for moms of young children because of the shutter lag on P&S cameras... so that is another awesome feature.
I didn't think you sounded snooty Megan...I just didn't want Amanda to be scared to go with the DSLR-I was-for a long time for the very reason you stated-It took Meghan and KCB encouraging me that using auto with a DSLR was superior to auto on my PnS to push me over the edge!

Go DSLR Amanda!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I appreciate the info ladies. Thanks! I have some experience with a 35mm, and I've played alot with the manuals on my PnS.

I ordered a Xsi kit. I went with the kit because my husband is a manager atf Walmart, and with his discount, it was the best deal for us. But I was going to buy one more lense. What would you ladies suggest? I was thinking about the 50mm 1.8 because it just seems like a logical choice to me for everyday pictures, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabarugh View Post
I appreciate the info ladies. Thanks! I have some experience with a 35mm, and I've played alot with the manuals on my PnS.

I ordered a Xsi kit. I went with the kit because my husband is a manager atf Walmart, and with his discount, it was the best deal for us. But I was going to buy one more lense. What would you ladies suggest? I was thinking about the 50mm 1.8 because it just seems like a logical choice to me for everyday pictures, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.
Ohhhh Amanda-You won't be sorry! Yes the 50mm 1.8 is a great lens for the price, but my walk around lens is the Tamron AF 28-75 2.8, I love it-it was a bit pricey-but it is hardly ever off my camera, worth every cent!

CONGRATS!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

oh yay! congrats!

I still only have my kit lens, but I'm always "shopping" for when I can afford it!

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have a Canon XS and I love it.

I have the kit lens 18-55mm w/ IS, the Canon 75-300mm, the Canon 50mm f1.8, and the Tamron 18-275mm w/ IS. I got them all for different reasons.

I got the Camera, Kit lens, and the 75-300mm for about $475, so that deal was hard to pass up. I rarely if ever use the 75-300mm and should probably sell it. But the kit lens is nice for when I am carrying it around in my purse/camera bag and its also great for around the house and food shots.

I just got the 50mm f1.8 for Christmas and it is SOOOO fun. I am a part manual/ part auto shooter. When I need a pic fast, I got auto. If I have time, I will shoot manual. And the "nifty-fifty" is SO fun to play in manual. It ALWAYS produces beautiful bokeh IMO.

Lastly, I got the 18-275mm w/ IS for vacation. I wanted something that would take practically everything without me having to change lens. Especially since we were going to the dusty desert of Egypt. The lens took FANTABULOUS pictures. Tamron was running a rebate on it that made it cheaper than the Canon 18-200mm and Tamron has a 6 year warranty in comparison to Canons 1. So I got it.

If you have any furthur questions on the lens I have feel free to ask. I have TONS of pics using all of them.

Last edited by SEJSmiles; 01-11-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have both the Canon 50mm f/1.8 and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and love them both, the Tamron has been my everyday lens for the last year but the year and a half or so before that I pretty much exclusively used the 50mm. You can't go wrong with either one really!

I've also heard good things about the Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 50mm f/1.4 and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (which are all on my wishlist), but they are all more expensive lenses.