Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default 2015 Top Ten

I read a total of 159 books in 2015 so it was hard to pick a top ten. I didn't take reeads of my faves into account so this is my top ten of new to me reads for 2015.

TEN:

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

I loved this book. I read The Woman in White last year so this is my 2nd Collins and I just love his writing style.

NINE:

The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon

I have only read up to The Fiery Cross. I am trying to work through them slowly so I don't catch up the the end too quickly but it's going to happen soon lol. This is a series that totally grows on you. I tried to read it about 10 years ago and just couldn't..then I watched the Starz series and gave them another shot and I'm so glad I did b/c just Jamie. They aren't for everyone...they are massive in length and if you don't love the characters then you'll probably be bored with them but if you do ..then it's fantastic.

EIGHT:

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

This is the case of the perfect book at the perfect time for me. I read it in October..it is a middle grade book but it is SOOO spooky..soo perfect for Halloween and I just loved the experience.

SEVEN:

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguru

If you love Downton Abbey..then this is a great book to pick up. I'd seen the movie years ago but never read the book. So good.

SIX:

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

I love Thomas Hardy...everything he wrote..this was no exception.

FIVE:

Among Others by Jo Walton

This book came out of left field and blew me away. It had been on my shelf forever..I just picked it up one day and literally did not put it down until I was finished. Magical realism and a book for book lovers. Perfect.

FOUR:

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

Another one that was a huge surprise. Beautiful prose..magical realism...wonderful story and characters. I loved it.

THREE:

The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

The first 2 books in the Stormlight Archives...just wow..these blew me away. I enjoyed his Mistborn Trilogy..but these two are so above and beyond those. Just fantastic if you love Epic High Fantasy. Can't wait for the next book!

TWO:

The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

So take the Stormlight Archives and multiply them times a billion and that's how much I loved the first 2 books in The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Just this man..his writing..it's unbelievable how good it is. I cannot WAIT for the next book.

NUMBER ONE:

The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss

So. This isn't even a full novel. It's a 159 page novella and a companion to The Kingkiller Chronicles. (I don't think it would work as a stand-alone because you really need to have some idea of who Auri is for it to have any context) It focuses on one of the most popular character in the books..Auri. Rothfuss himself tells you in the forward to this novella that it isn't for everyone..that it is nothing like the first 2 books and some readers might even hate it. But..for the few who get it..it's the most beautiful prose I've ever read I think. I had it as number 2..but I just have to give it the no. 1 spot. It really spoke to me...Rothfuss wrote this in the forward:

“This story is for all the slightly broken people out there. I am one of you. You are not alone. You are all beautiful to me.”

When I read that I knew it was going to be amazing and it didn't disappoint.

So that was my top 10 of 2015....what about you? Top ten..top 5...or just the best book you read last year.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I forgot about my honorable mention lol...

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

This was a GREAT read. I also recommend the BBC miniseries. Good stuff man.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My faves - I'm a few years behind....

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
David & Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell
The Martian by Andy Weir (my boyfriend)
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
The Baker's Daughter by Sarah mcCoy
The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan
Old 01-08-2016, 09:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Holy crap nikki! To think i was all proud of my 16 books! Hahaha!

I'll have to share my list of the b best ones when i get home tonight though! Love reading people's book faves!

<3 shawna

Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I totally forgot to post to this, but I made a lo for the Feb Bingo challenge.