Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default NSBR -Let's Talk...Mattresses

It's time for my husband and I to get a new bed. It's been about 9 years since we got our last one. Things have really changed in the mattress market since we shopped last!

We currently have a a gigantic pillow top queen mattress and you can rotate it, but not flip it. So we're starting to get body dents and there is a definite high spot in the middle. It's also too soft for our aging bodies. I also think that even though I love our headboard I am ready for a King sized bed. This house can definitely fit one if I trade my desk out for a normal sized bed stand.

So, I'm curious what kind of mattress do you have? Do you love it or hate it? Any advice on shopping for a mattress with all the options out there these days?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can't remember what kind of mattress we have, but it's a king and we will NEVER go back to a queen again!!! For sure get a king - you'll be so happy.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Our bed is too soft and already has the obvious dents after a little over a year. We have a plush Beautyrest Recharge. In the showroom is was advertised as a firmer plush, and it felt that way to us. It's a fantastic bed and we do sleep well- although because it's so soft it looks bad and we can't flip it, and it sleeps a little too warm in the summer for us. But it was MUCH softer and less firm than the bed we tested in the showroom. We should have returned it but it still felt light years better than our old mattress so we kept it. If you get a Beautyrest (I do recommend them!) then go firmer than you think when purchasing.

I think that's the thing that annoys me most about mattress shopping. After laying on all the beds it's very hard to decide which one your body likes best. And their mattresses are not 100% the same as the ones you will get when you order.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:57 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have a select number... have had it for 8 years, I think it is? It's nice that can adjust to your personal setting... however, my hubby likes like no air and I'm the opposite, so if he isn't in bed with me, it feels off. haha.

Hubby wants to get a Casper bed because he hears about them all the time on Podcasts... does anyone have one? It is as awesome as they say? I think he just wants to see it "explode" from the box...

Oh yes - get the King... marriage changer!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I bought a firmer Sealy right after I started dating my boyfriend. Now he lives with me and hates it, but the mattress is only 2 years old and was expensive and there's no way I am spending that much money again so soon. I wish I had bought more of a pillow top firm mattress, but my last Sealy I had was that way and I loved it so much.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can't remember the mattress before this one that we got. It was one of those big brand, top of the line, perfect mattresses... and within 6 months it already had low spots on each side. I should've used our warranty but didn't. About 18 months ago we got a Posturepedic (sp?) king-sized and it is AMAZING. It's memory foam but has not dented one single tiny bit. I'm shocked, to be honest.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm laughing because we will be in the market hopefully soon for a new mattress and I'm dreading it because I know zero about mattresses now and I dread trying to figure it out. And I had thought... I wonder if I should ask the scrapping friends
Old 08-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a pillow top as well. Hate it. It felt so nice trying it out, but it hurts my body I really don't know if it's too firm or soft. The only thing we have to compare it to is our old spring mattress that was sagging for years lol. We're going to be looking within a year to get a new one. I will add that I've been a $3 pillow girl all my life, constantly replacing them as they flatten, but this summer we splurged and spent about $60 each on a new pillow and it has helped! My neck and shoulders, anyways,
Old 08-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We bought an IKEA mattress a three or four years ago. We love it. It's not too soft or firm, doesn't sleep too hot and it's held up really well so far. I think it was right around $1000 so pretty cheap for a mattress ( why are they so expensive? ).
Old 08-29-2016, 06:17 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

We got a Tempurpedic back in March and so far, we love it!
Old 08-29-2016, 06:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
I bought a firmer Sealy right after I started dating my boyfriend. Now he lives with me and hates it, but the mattress is only 2 years old and was expensive and there's no way I am spending that much money again so soon. I wish I had bought more of a pillow top firm mattress, but my last Sealy I had was that way and I loved it so much.
You can buy a pillow top mattress pad that fits over the top of the mattress if you wanted to "convert" your mattress to something softer.

We need a new mattress, but I've just been too lazy to research/buy anything. Instead I bought a sturdy mattress pad to preserve it for just a little longer.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a sleep number bed, it's probably 10 years old and I'm still pleased. We have the deep pillow top, which I'd recommend. In the king there are 2 controls, which is wonderful because my husband like really firm and I like softer. My dog prefers my side, by the way. LOL
Old 08-29-2016, 07:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Stearns and Foster "Plaza" mattress in king size. The beauty of the king size is that it's almost a perfect square so it can be rotated by quarter turns and not get those body indents. I also got the low-profile box spring set because my bedroom doesn't have super high ceilings. We've had it since 2008 and I must say I still love it. It's comfy, quiet and solid. You can't feel when your partner moves around at all.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Uhm, we bought our mattress at Sam's Club for $600ish for a queen and box spring back in 2012. It's a major brand but I can't remember what kind. It's held up well even with two moves and is perfectly soft now. We had a king before and while I reallllly miss a king, this is a nice solid mattress.

We intentionally downgraded to a queen because military life makes king size mattresses hard, and the plan is to buy a king size after we buy a house in the next year or two. This one will become our guest bed then.