Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Book Recommendations

Next month we are going camping and I will have several hours to relax and read in the evenings. I need book recommendations for light, feel-good reads. No tragic endings, no books that are trying to teach me a lesson (typically I go for this, but not for this trip). Great characters always get me although plot-driven action can work too.

Any thoughts? (yes, I've read the Twilight series).
Old 06-30-2010, 01:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just read Danielle Steel's : Matters of the Heart, the whole book in 3 days. It was fabulous.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For "light" reading, I love Jeffrey Archer and Dick Francis.

Archer tells a great story and has awesome character development. He has several books that are related to one another (Kane and Abel is one of them).

Francis' stories all tie into horse racing somehow, with the "detective" in the whodunits being a former jockey.

If you don't mind something a bit heavier, then I'd recommend Irving Stone who writes amazing biographical fiction.

And, one of my all time favorites, but is not something new I'm sure, is Jane Austen. I've read several of her stories many times. They never get old to me.

eta: I started reading all the authors in my late teens, so I'm pretty sure they'd move at a quick enough pace for you to enjoy...teens don't tend to stick with the slow, thought-provoking stuff.

Last edited by krystalhartley; 06-30-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to DeepGirl

What 'bout Leo Rosten: Education of Hyman Kamplan? It's so funny book!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, Hyman Kaplan is a dangerous reading when you're trying to be quiet and not wake up your kids, it's hilarious.

I love The Mitford Series by Jan Karon, too. Heartwarming, fun, makes you think and laugh and cry.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love right now Misty and I am totally loving it. I don't typically go for that type of book, but the author is really funny. It's a thoughtful book that's still light and fun so far. I'm only through the first leg of her journey to Italy so far so I dont know if it will get heavier or preachy, but right now it's two thumbs way up!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Right now I'm reading Mennonite in a Little Black Dress. I'm only a chapter or two into it and it's pretty funny so far.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

For light and fun I'm all about Janet Evanovich and the Stephanie Plum series. You can read them in a day and they are HILARIOUS.

I'm reading "The Last Ember" by Daniel Levin right now. It's a mystery/thriller sort of novel, but very interesting. Multiple plots going on at the same time (which I love), but all easy to follow.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The Help by Katheryn Stockett
Half of a Yellown sun (I don't know the author)
Anything by Nelson Demille.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I second Leo Rosten.

Also, I recommend anything by P.G. Wodehouse. He's a genius of witty and light.

A Year in the Merde, Merde, Actually and Talk to the Snail by Stephen Clarke are also great, and even better if one has been to France (he's making fun of the French, but in a loving way).

Last edited by adrianka; 06-30-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm reading the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series right now. I had the first book for years, and finally read it a little bit ago, bought the next few, and then just ordered the rest of the series from B&N. I didn't think I'd be into it, but I love the characters, love the laid back feeling from Botswana and sometimes feel I'm there when I'm reading it. Totally different from the last two series I read (Sookie Stackhouse and Black Dagger Brotherhood).
Old 06-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love right now Misty and I am totally loving it. I don't typically go for that type of book, but the author is really funny. It's a thoughtful book that's still light and fun so far. I'm only through the first leg of her journey to Italy so far so I dont know if it will get heavier or preachy, but right now it's two thumbs way up!
I love that book - but I didn't see it as "light" reading. I can't wait to see the movie!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I loved this one. I could really relate to it and it is really, really funny.

I Don't Know How She Does it by Allison Pearson
Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies! I knew you'd have some great ideas. I'm off to go request some of these at the library.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
This has been on my list for awhile..just snagged the book last night to start reading!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 06-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde, my favorite book series. They are literary based, kind of sci-fi, really cool and fun. Sort of in the vein of Harry Potter.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I LOVED to read "eat, pray, love". And to me it was a very positive, inspiring book.

If you're looking for an easy read with predictable endings (and don't we girls all love one of those from time to time?), I really enjoyed "The opposite of me" by Sarah Pekkanen and somewhat older "Lots of Love" by Fiona Walker.

Last edited by Ginger_79; 06-30-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I am with the Stephanie Plum books, I have read all of them. I so love Janet E.

I am addicted to anything vamp, were or otherwise. House of the Night is a FAB series if you like that kind of thing and I believe 7 books. Also Morganville Vampires is a good series too I am onto book 7 tonight.

Patricia Briggs Mercy series is fantastic too.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
For light and fun I'm all about Janet Evanovich and the Stephanie Plum series. You can read them in a day and they are HILARIOUS.

I'm reading "The Last Ember" by Daniel Levin right now. It's a mystery/thriller sort of novel, but very interesting. Multiple plots going on at the same time (which I love), but all easy to follow.

I totally agree with the Janet Evanovich, I love her. She has several small books also Grand Finale, Naughty Neighbor, Smitten. They are easy quick reads.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriesmom View Post
The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde, my favorite book series. They are literary based, kind of sci-fi, really cool and fun. Sort of in the vein of Harry Potter.
Liz - I saw your LO a few months ago about these books (I think for one of the what are you reading challenges?) and picked them up and really enjoyed them. Until now, I couldn't remember whose LO it was. I thought they were quirky and a little fun. The first one started a little slow, but then I got sucked in - they were fun reads.

I really liked The Help - I couldn't put it down, although I don't know if I'd consider it light reading. It's not a difficult read, but some of the injustices it portrays make you so mad that you just want to get with someone else who has read it to talk about how much you hated some of the characters.

In a completely different vein, I just read 'The Red Pyramid' by Rick Riordan (the author of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series). It's for a young adult audience, but it was an easy entertaining read.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I LOOOOOVE the Stephanie Plum series....the characters in that book absolutely crack me up and its very rare that I will laugh out loud while reading a book.

And I love the Sookie Stackhouse series too!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

If you liked Twilight then I would read the following books, in the following order:
The Sookie Stackhouse Series
The Black Daggar Brotherhood Series
The Midnight Breed Series

Note: The Twilight Series was G Rated....the above books are not, but nonetheless are good. They all came highly recommended to me by other scrapping friends online and I loved all 3 series.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

I really enjoyed reading Eat Pray Love. Another one of my favorites is called The Elegant Gathering of White Snows by Kris Radish. Its a wonderful story of about 7 or 8 women on a sort of adventure together.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEJSmiles View Post
If you liked Twilight then I would read the following books, in the following order:
The Sookie Stackhouse Series
The Black Daggar Brotherhood Series
The Midnight Breed Series

Note: The Twilight Series was G Rated....the above books are not, but nonetheless are good. They all came highly recommended to me by other scrapping friends online and I loved all 3 series.
I guess I will be adding these couple to my list. Sookie Stackhouse books were fantastic!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I just saw the movie trailer for this today when I saw Eclipse - I didn't know it was a book....I am going to have to put it on my list. Thanks for your suggestion!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Have to second, or third (or fourth?) the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich...hilarious!!

I am in the midst of a Sookie Stackhouse obsession, too. In fact, I only have 3 books to get me through a weeklong vacation and I am stressing!!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda