Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2011, 02:31 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Scary! Leopard attacked boy at local zoo today...

Did you Wichita peeps see this?
Old 05-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yikes!

Old 05-07-2011, 02:48 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

It made national news, I just saw it on my news here on the West Coast. Wow on the couple that saved him! How in the world can the zoo only have short fences to keep the animals in/people out?? Goodness that is crazy Hope the little boy will be okay!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:09 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oooh, I'm thinking some parent helpers/teachers on that trip are going to be in BIG trouble.....
Old 05-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Oooh, I'm thinking some parent helpers/teachers on that trip are going to be in BIG trouble.....
Yes, this! ^^^^

Old 05-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

OMG...we go to the KC Zoo every summer (it's less than an hour away)...that is super scary!! Glad my kiddos are brave enough to climb a wall and try something like that kid did!
Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're scheduled to go to the zoo Monday and Tuesday. (I'm in Wichita, so it's that zoo. And I work for the school district that's involved.) Not sure if we'll have very good turn out after this.

We're zoo members and there are numerous signs around saying it's a dangerous animal and to stay off the fence. However, Friday in May = huge field trip day. I know last year when we were on a field trip, I saw a 7/8 year old wandering by himself. I happened to run into a zoo worker and pointed the kid out. It's so easy, especially right where that cage is (bathrooms across from it, exit from the brand new and hugely popular tiger exhibit right next to it) to lose track of a child. Yes, someone is going to be in trouble. A teacher or the parent responsible for that child. I know if I were the teacher of that child, the guilt would be overwhelming. The child should not have been allowed anywhere near that animal. Some adult somewhere should have stopped him. You can't expect a 7 year old to read a sign. He did have to climb a bit and cross about 8 feet of ground to get anywhere near the animal... so in that time someone should have seen and stopped him. It's tragic, but he's doing OK. The animal is off exhibit for now... but scheduled to be back out Tuesday.

Just in time for me to take my 3 year olds to see him. :P
Old 05-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh my, how horrible! this is a reason i'm always a chaperone on my daughter's school field trips - she'd be crazy enough to try to climb a fence ... !

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 05-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my goodness! My first thought was who was suppose to be watching this boy? My second thought was this is why I would chaperone all of my kids trips. I just do not trust other people to watch my kids. I don't even let my mother & farther in law watch them because they are too lax with them.

I hope that boy is okay and isn't seriously hurt. I do hope that the zoo & schools rethink how many kids per chaperone on trips from now on. More eyes can't hurt.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof3 View Post
I hope that boy is okay and isn't seriously hurt. I do hope that the zoo & schools rethink how many kids per chaperone on trips from now on. More eyes can't hurt.
I was thinking this same thing. Running through 'how could this happen?' thoughts! Most of all, I think that direct contact for big cats should be impossible. In SF, a tiger actually got out and killed a man. It simply should not be possible. Regardless of what the person did or did not do.

But, having chaperoned a lot of fieldtrips, I can see how if you have more than 4-5 in 1st grade, and the place was really crowded, how a child could be separated for a short time. Plus, if this child was prone(not to blame the victim here...) to 'running away' or not following instructions, or respecting authority--then this child should be in the group with the teacher or the parent with the smallest group. On one field trip, one child was particularly 'squirrely' and his parents we asked specifically to attend a field trip because there was a ferry ride to get to the destination.
I have a first grader and even the most rambunctious of them would not have climbed over the barrier to get a closer look. And, a teen could easily hop the fence and go, but it would have taken this kid some time to decide to do it and then actually do it. He must have been alone for a good stretch of time.
I wonder too if the budget cuts have impacted how many zoo wardens(or whatever they are called) are around patrolling the exhibits than before. So sad that it happened. It is tragic for whatever the reasons.